Date for Annual Dinner 2022

Details of and discussion about club news & events (excluding races)

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole

George

Date for Annual Dinner 2022

Post by George » 03 Jan 2022 15:40

A date for your diaries:

This year's Annual Dinner and Prize Presentation will be on Saturday 19 November. The Dinner Committee is aware that one or two people expressed a preference for a return to late November/early December. However, the great majority of people who gave feedback have said that they wanted to stick with Kings Norton Golf Club as the venue, and unfortunately KNGC couldn't offer us a later date.

If you've got any ideas or suggests that you'd like the Dinner Committee to consider when planning the event in the months ahead, please post here or talk to a DC member (Neil Orchard, Helen Jamieson, Keith Adcock or me).

AdeR

Re: Date for Annual Dinner 2022

Post by AdeR » 07 Jan 2022 09:02

Just putting a question up. Really appreciate the hard work that the dinner organisers do every year to make a great event. How do members with younger families feel about it? What might an event that was more open to academy families look like? I'm wondering how we might celebrate the achievements (e.g. to 10 in the region) of our young riders.
Some things actually DO happen that are not on Strava

George

Post by George » 07 Jan 2022 10:41

Ade, the Dinner has not traditionally catered for the Academy age group, and I'm a little unsure how the event might be adapted to do so without becoming unattractive to its existing 'clientèle'. However, if you have any suggestions, I'm all ears, and I'm sure the rest of the Dinner Committee will be too. What sort of celebration would be appropriate for your target group? If an Academy Awards slot can't be incorporated into the Dinner, would some sort of separate event be appropriate and, if so, what form should that take?

BrumJim

Post by BrumJim » 07 Jan 2022 15:00

Thinking of the sort of end-of-term presentations at school, I agree that the evening dinner would not be suitable for either the academy members or the existing clientele. Whilst we adults enjoy an evening of banter / reminiscing over a meal and alcohol, this is not something that kids do naturally.

What they do enjoy is a presentation ceremony, a chance to see their efforts, or their friends efforts rewarded, and a recap over the year.

My initial (starting point) suggestion is to have an Academy slot before the dinner, allowing those that want to congratulate the younger ones to be there, but those that want to make a start on the coffee before they arrive, or want to make a grand, fashionably late entrance when everyone else is already there, can do so.

Problems? Do we feed the academy? If so, what? As tastes may vary wildly, and how do we get the kids back home if their parents want to stay for the dinner? (although the golf club is quite close to NCN5).