Jean Gould

Details of and discussion about club news & events (excluding races)

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole

Mike Gould

Jean Gould

Post by Mike Gould » 31 Dec 2022 20:52

Somewhat late to report this news but, sadly, my mother Jean Gould passed away suddenly / unexpectedly back in March of this year. She was 83, had seemed in relatively good health, and was still quite active till the end.

About 5 years ago I posted about the death of my father Jeff Gould. At that time there were active forum members who knew both my parents so I hope that is still the case. Both Jeff and Jean were Beacon club members during the 1960s and there are photos of both on the Club History page.

Recently I've been going through their photo collections and scanning in the best of them to save them digitally. There are some Beacon photos which might be of interest to some and I will try to post them here. I've tried to title them as best I can according to the handwritten notes. There are also even more photos which are negatives only and I don't have the developed pics - I may get round to these at a later date.

Mike Gould

Re: Jean Gould

Post by Mike Gould » 31 Dec 2022 21:01

All stored at
https://postimg.cc/gallery/b8vW8PW

Beacon-10-A-Webb-Gorcott-1961

Beacon 1961 Gorcott D Cane

Beacon 1961 Gorcott M Kedian

Beacon 1961

Beacon 1961

Beacon 1961

Beacon 1961

Beacon 1961

Beacon at Rhayader 1966

Beacon at Royal Oak Catshill Nov1961

Beacon awards

Beacon Conker Champs 1961

Beacon early season 10 in hail at Stoke Prior 1966

Beacon football team 1961

Beacon LJ De M and J Clements

Beacon newspaper report w photo of Jean Gould

Beacon RRC 1966

Jean-Gould racing 1967

Jeff Gould in Beacon Hill Climb in Great Farley Wood 1965

Jeff Gould in xmas day 25mile TT 1964

Rod Goodfellow
Location: Cranage,Holmes Chapel,Cheshire,UK or Lake Wales,Florida

Post by Rod Goodfellow » 01 Jan 2023 14:29

Thanks for posting the photos, brought back memories.I first met Jean Platt at B'ham Uni Cycling club when she was doing a post grad course and I was towards the end of my course.We both joined the Beacon along with Christine Dunn,later my wife.We all became good friends and rode many events together as well as YHA weekends. Eventually we all left the Beacon after moving for work,J&J to Cheshire (as did Dave Cane) and Chris and I to Lancashire. After Chris died I remember taking a lady friend to J&Js apartment at Moraira near Benidorm for a week holiday.Jeff and I met several times at time trials in Cheshire,where I have been living for the last 18 months.
I hope you find and post more photos.

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 01 Jan 2023 16:58

Thanks Mike for posting these classic photos. 20 years before my time with the Beacon but good to see youthful shots of Oscar Hopkins and Tony Webb and some great photos of your parents. Also good to be reminded of those times and those bikes !!

George

Post by George » 02 Jan 2023 11:05

Thanks for sharing those, Mike. I didn't know your parents, but they were clearly very much part of a fabric of the club, and I'm sure they are greatly missed. Hopefully Laurence can add these pictures to the club's growing archive.

Yosser

Post by Yosser » 02 Jan 2023 18:05

Some delightful images evoking a strong whiff of nostalgia! I remember them both your parent well. Both were very friendly and most welcoming to a young 16 year old coming into the Allens Cross based clubroom in 1967!

Images of several of my contemporaries from that era including Rod Goodfellow, Jack Clements (President for many years), Jeanne Clements (smoking)!, Chris Goodfellow, Oscar Hopkins, Steve Faulkes, Brian Jackson et-al. The fairly recent departures of Les Ladbury, and Bill Oakly are somewhat poignant.