THE KIDDERMINSTER KILLER

Details of and discussion about club news & events (excluding races)

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole

Philip Whiteman

THE KIDDERMINSTER KILLER

Post by Philip Whiteman » 22 Jun 2023 16:49

THE KIDDERMINSTER KILLER - 22nd July

Book your place now for the 212km extravaganza audax to depths of rural Shropshire and the Welsh Borders. It is a challenging yet rewarding event that crosses some of the greatest hills in our region. It follows predominantly rustic lanes through peaceful countryside. Expect dual carriageways (lanes with grass down the middle), Jam and Jerusalem, and lots of hill climbs.

The provisional route is https://ridewithgps.com/routes/43182504

Organised for BeaconRCC.

https://www.audax.uk/event.../10021-the ... ter_killer

Philip Whiteman

Re: THE KIDDERMINSTER KILLER

Post by Philip Whiteman » 24 Jul 2023 14:02

The late Dave Pountney of Kidderminster CTC launched an audax in 1989 known as the Kidderminster 200. Its title was amended after riders referred to the audax as a ‘killer.’ The Kidderminster Killer rapidly gained legendary status amongst the audax community as a classic event. Dave told me, “If you can complete the Kidderminster Killer then you can complete anything.” No truer an expression can best represent this year. The statement of chapeau is awarded to those that started and finished within time, but also those that were late returners and those that only managed part-way. It was a truly epic event.

We had just two Beacon starters but sadly both were DNF. Helen bailed with a dodgy chain ring and Simon Woodward was crashed and both returned oka. Simon was uninjured but local cycle shops will be pleased to hear about the prospect of a new bike sale.

I have yet to finalise the results, but it appears that thirty-seven started out of eighty-eight entries and twenty-two finished. Fifteen were non-finishers of which four were out-of-time but completed the route. Two finished with just ten seconds to spare! Ed D’Oyle completed the route on a fixie.

Chapel Lawn WI pulled out the stops yet again and I will relay the many thanks received from riders. Some of the cakes were being trialled for baking competitions in the future. I tried one and it was fantastic.

Thank you, to the Beacon RCC volunteers that helped-out on the day, without whom the event would not have been possible:

Patrick (who arrived very wet from Birmingham) for morning kitchen duty.
John on evening kitchen duty.
Mick and Keith for marshalling.

Facebook AUK Group followers will have been amused by the very strange online complaint, "DNF’d the Kidderminster Killer yesterday. Rain non stop and a route ridiculously designed to make riders fail. Audax U.K. need to intervene and vet some routes." . The responses were very entertaining.

It is time for the KK to be given a new lease of life with new ideas and invigoration but hopefully with the challenge. It is twelve years since I took over the KK, which at the time resulted in some compromise and ‘easing’ of the route to reflect the Belbroughton start point, but now feel that the current model has run its course. I also have other cycling commitments elsewhere that I wish to fulfil. I am pleased to announce that Kirsty McGaul and Marcus Mumford of Bike Worcester will be taking over the event with great enthusiasm. Audaxers from the south-west will be familiar with their former event, Barry’s Bristol Ball Buster, and Barry’s Bristol Ball Bash, which became major audax events from the city and introduced the idea of WI Cake to cycling circles. I will continue to deliver other audaxes in future years.

All the best for your remaining audax year.

George

Post by George » 24 Jul 2023 17:38

Philip Whiteman wrote:
24 Jul 2023 14:02
Ed D’Oyle completed the route on a fixie.
Words fail me.

George

Post by George » 24 Jul 2023 17:49

Phil, you've done a brilliant job as organiser. Many thanks for all the time and effort you've put in.

Having run our Cotswold Audax for a similar length of time, I completely understand the desire to step down: I certainly had the feeling that I'd given the event all the ideas and energy I'd got, and that it was best to hand over a thriving institution to someone else with new ideas and new energy.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 25 Jul 2023 15:46

Thank you George.

Strange that you should mention your audaxes. They were mentioned on Saturday as great events. They could not have been easy to organise with control locations and cafe availability.

George

Post by George » 26 Jul 2023 18:24

Cheers, Phil. The Cotswold Audaxes were of course unlike the KK in many ways -- a different product for a different consumer -- but I suppose that there are organisational parallels nevertheless. They were huge fun to organise, but also very time-consuming, and the model relied on a lot of help from volunteers at the HQ and out in the field.