BEYOND THE DYKE. Final Beacon audax of 2023

Details of and discussion about club news & events (excluding races)

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole

Philip Whiteman

BEYOND THE DYKE. Final Beacon audax of 2023

Post by Philip Whiteman » 10 Aug 2023 19:41

Everybody is invited to enter the next Beacon RCC Audax, "Beyond the Dyke" on Saturday 30th September

Beyond the Dyke is the resurrection of the once popular event organised by Beacon member, Alan Mason. The route crosses Offa’s Dyke with a short loop into Mid-Wales before heading back to Worcestershire.

Taking a classic route along mostly unclassified, quiet C and B class roads, we leave Belbroughton 8 am, across some undulations to our first ‘free control’ at Craven Arms before heading through the valley floor towards Knucklas and its magnificent viaduct and across Offa’s Dyke. From here-on there is a brief taste of Mid-Wales before taking a sharp turn towards the sleepy mark town of Presteigne in The Marches. It is the a gentle ride to Tenbury and through the sublime Teme Valley.

The route isn’t especially hilly although there some notable climbs around the side of Brown Clee, out of Knucklas and Fetterlocks. The route attracts 1.75 Audax Altitude Awards Points.

Autumn Beyond the Dyke is run by the Beacon RCC for Audax UK.

• Start/Finish: Belbroughton Recreation Centre
• Controls: Craven Arms; Presteigne; Tenbury
• Information Controls: Cleobury North; Dolau; Stanford Bridge.

E Brevet will be available

This will be my last Beacon RCC Audax but thankfully Phil R, John W and Mick S will be taking on custodianship of the autumn audax from 2024.

Philip Whiteman

Re: BEYOND THE DYKE. Final Beacon audax of 2023

Post by Philip Whiteman » 02 Oct 2023 20:48

Hello All

BEYOND THE DYKE ROUND-UP

I would like to thank everyone that rode the event and supported it as a volunteer. It was third time lucky with the weather and that was evident by the average time that people took to complete the route. Not only that it was an excellent turnout too. The finisher’s list for Beyond the Dyke will become available on the AUK website within the next week once I have completed all the paperwork.

Special thanks to Ian G, Ian B, Jim R, Helen C, Woody and Dave Cox for your excellent support on the day.

Two people experienced mechanicals and had cut their rides short and another managed to ride into hedge at speed but escaped unscathed. Other than that, it everything went smoothly. Many commented on the climb up Fetterlocks towards the end. Yes, it is pretty sharp and marks the boundary between the Severn and Teme valleys.

Congratulations go to the several audax newbies. Hopefully, we will see you again at future events. Plenty more are to be found in the Audax UK calendar.

This marked my last audax event for the Beacon as I seek to spend more time actually riding events. Phil Richards, John Williams, and Mick Stanford will be taking on Beacon Autumn audax in 2024 and I wish them all the best.

My next audax is:
· Droitwich Cycling Club’s Salinae and Cotswolds on 11th November.This is pretty much one of the final audaxes before the winter gloom sets in. Last year’s riders will remember its summer like qualities. Richard Lake produced an excellent Youtube vlog on the ride. Please visit the Droitwich Cycling Club’s Audax pages or go to the AUK.
· Hay Skivers for Droitwich CC takes place on 31st May.

Lost property:
· One pair of gold tinted glasses found by Ranald on the roadside between Llanfihangel and Presteigne. Unfortunately, they are scuffed.
All the best and I hope to see you again in November.

Kind regards

Philip