High Summer weekend away - 3 nts June 6, 7 & 8 Trowley

Details of and discussion about club news & events (excluding races)

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole

Jane Herrin

High Summer weekend away - 3 nts June 6, 7 & 8 Trowley

Post by Jane Herrin » 04 Jan 2014 19:12

This is the season of short cold grey days but in June they will be long sunny and warm. So consider a 3 night break with club mates at Trowley Farm House, Trowley, Llanbedr, which is about 8 miles from Hay on Wye. More detail can be found on www.breconcottages.com

The house sleeps 16 and the accommodation cost will be £60.00 per person for the three nights (if we fill all 16 places).

I am now taking names and deposits (£20.00) so please let me know if you would like to go by either posting below or contacting me by telephone or email. Cheques to be made payable to 'Beacon RCC'

Already signed up are:-

Sue Pemberton
Wally Lowe
Tony Webb
Jane Herrin
Mavis Williams
Steve Smith
Ann Cole
Dave Cole
Jen Durham
June Pitchford
Sheila Shayes
Pat Haddon
Charlie Skinner
Andrene Skinner
Bob Green
Wilson To

Look forward to seeing you.
Last edited by Jane Herrin on 07 Feb 2014 16:58, edited 6 times in total.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 04 Jan 2014 20:56

It looks very nice. Given that the house has some private rooms, it would have been ideal for a small but very loud baby plus Lisa and I. Sadly, this weekend conflicts with my second ride of the Snow Roads Audax with Grahame Brown.

new_world99

Post by new_world99 » 05 Feb 2014 19:11

Hi,

Is there still a space or two on this trip?

I am sociable. And don't bite.

Wilson

Jane Herrin

Post by Jane Herrin » 06 Feb 2014 18:40

Hello Wilson there is just one place left, you would be most welcome to join us

new_world99

Post by new_world99 » 06 Feb 2014 20:35

Great. would you mind pm me the club account details so i can pay the deposit/costs?

Please come and say hello at one of the weekend rides. you can't miss me i am chinese

Jane Herrin

Post by Jane Herrin » 07 Feb 2014 16:57

Hello Wilson very glad you can make it. I will get the account details to you as requested.

Sadly I am not often at the Black Horse but do sometimes ride out to the destination and will look out for you. It is always a pleasure to meet new members. I hope you have many happy times with the 'Beacon'

Jane Herrin

Post by Jane Herrin » 18 May 2014 15:46

Our summer weekend is only a little over two weeks away. Anyone who has signed up but not yet paid their deposit please do so or if you wish the full amount. Any one else wanting to pay the balance can do so, all cheques to be made payable to 'Beacon RCC' and sent/given to me or direct to Steve Smith.

A BBQ is planned for one of the nights (will keep a close eye on the weather and decide which one nearer the time) Please post below if you would like to join in so that I know how many to cater for. The cost will be modest. No post no tea!

To start the BBQ list:-

Jane Herrin
Tony Webb
Steve Smith
Pat Haddon
Mavis Williams
Ann Cole
Dave Cole
Sue Pemberton
Wally Lowe
Andrene Skinner
Charlie Skinner
Sheila Shayes
Wilson To
Bob Green
June Pitchford
Jen Durham

For the other evenings there is plenty of choice, a pub at Painscastle within walking distance and another a short drive away at Erwood, an evening in or maybe a picnic on the hill. There is a place on the Begwns called 'The Roundabout' some 2 miles walk away with great views - a perfect picnic spot if weather permits.

I will take tea, coffee, sugar and semi skimmed milk for everyone. Things you would need to bring are:-

Breakfast food
Lunch food (if not using cafes)
Evening/picnic food
Drinks
Walking clothing and boots
Torch
Maps

For those who may be cycling out but wish to enjoy more time in different scenery there is an hourly train service from Birmingham with stops at Colwall, Ledbury and Hereford.

I am advised that sat nav are not always very reliable, so please note the direction details below from the Cottage Company:-

Trowley Farmhouse, Painscastle, Nr Hay on Wye, LD2 3JH. On the A438 between Hereford and Brecon, at Clyro take a right turn, near a church, sign posted to Painscastle.

Follow the signs to Painscastle for approximately 4 miles until you reach a T-junction in the village.

Turn left onto B4594 (signed Erwood) and carry on for 1 mile, just before you get to a corn silo on your left take the track on your right (if you go over a bridge you've gone too far), once you have taken the track on the right, take the left hand track for approx. half a mile.

When you get to the tall pine trees continue into the farm yard and Trowley Farmhouse is behind the barn on your left.

The Farmhouse is available to us from 4pm onwards and we have to vacate on the Monday by 10.30am.

Think thats all for now, but please contact me if you have any questions.

Look forward to seeing you all.
Last edited by Jane Herrin on 22 May 2014 20:19, edited 1 time in total.

Jane Herrin

Post by Jane Herrin » 22 May 2014 09:10

Something I forgot, you will to bring your own towels.

Jane Herrin

Post by Jane Herrin » 31 May 2014 13:41

I have looked at the long range weather forcast and it looks promising, so we can BBQ on the Friday being our first evening.

On Saturday Tone and me will go to the Roast Ox pub in Painscastle (within walking distance), if you would like to join in please post below by Wednesday lunch time and I will book a table.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 09 Jun 2014 22:04

Thanks to Jane for organising a wonderful long weekend in the Begwns. Absolutely wonderful countryside and cracking company.
Eat cake before you're hungry

David Cole

Post by David Cole » 10 Jun 2014 15:35

Thanks Jane for organising the weekend. We had a great time

Dave and Ann
David Cole

Beacon Roads Cycling Club