MAJORCA 2015

Details of and discussion about club news & events (excluding races)

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole

Kermit

MAJORCA 2015

Post by Kermit » 17 Sep 2014 21:22

The 2015 trip is going to be a bit different from previous years. Still at the Pollensa Park Hotel but this year on a DIY basis rather than me booking the hotel.

Reason for this is that booking through an agent is virtually the same rate as with the cycling discount we get from the hotel. We have booked with Alpharooms.com at £30.20 per night half board per person for a twin room. The hotel are offering the same for 38 Euros, a few pence less at today's rate. Travel Republic also offer a similar deal. This is a bit up on last year's prices but as they have been pretty static for the last 4 years probably not bad. Also, Fergus the new management are threatening to carry out some upgrades over the winter to achieve 4 stars including improving the cycling facilities even more...??? So at least you'll have a dab of paint here and there for your extra dosh.

We have booked from 9th to 20th April. Flights are available from Birmingham with Monarch or Ryanair. No surprise that Ryanair are cheapest but check out additions for luggage and bike etc to make your own decisions. If you book your flights first you can book a standard transfer with Alpha or Travel Republic at a good price when booking your room. Anyone looking for a week or 8 days to coincide the best deals seem to be from 10th to 17th or 18th.

This year we won't be joining forces with Richard Todd and the Birmingham et al as they are going a week or so later from 18th to 26th April mainly in order to ride Tolo's time trial which I believe is 25th April. That's no good for us Beaconites as we have to be back home for the LMTT on 26th. Shame, we shall miss their company.

We hope you are able to join us for some sun and great riding. Let me know if you want any more details or contacts for bike hire etc.

dweben

Post by dweben » 17 Sep 2014 23:21

Has anyone totalled up how much they spend on this trip? Inc/excl taking your own bike, etc.

deero83

Post by deero83 » 18 Sep 2014 16:27

I would definitely be interested in this.

I'm only really B run standard at present so I don't know what the standard of the group would be like. I plan on putting in some serious winter training from mid November once my exams are over though.

I'd love to do it as a proper training camp with rides over Sa Calobra etc like Laurence and Barry did last year.

A couple of questions:
- Is the twin room price based on two people sharing?
- Do you keep your bike in your room with you?
- Is there anywhere I could hire/borrow a bike box/bag from rather than buy one (I appreciate this is a question for a later date really)

Perhaps if people could say if they're interested in going, and if so, what dates?

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 18 Sep 2014 17:01

dweben wrote:Has anyone totalled up how much they spend on this trip? Inc/excl taking your own bike, etc.
I've just checked and I paid £176.98 for my return flight from Luton this year. That included hold baggage (about £30) and taking my bike (£30 each way, I think). I need to check the dates for next year, but presuming I do go then I'll try to fly from Birmingham as it's a hassle getting to and from Luton with a cumbersome bike box. You can work out the accommodation costs based on Paul's post above, and I didn't really spend much additional money as you get breakfast and dinner included (main other expenditure was lunch, coffee, more coffee and a few dinners out when the hotel food got a bit samey!).
deero83 wrote:A couple of questions:
- Is the twin room price based on two people sharing?
- Do you keep your bike in your room with you?
- Is there anywhere I could hire/borrow a bike box/bag from rather than buy one (I appreciate this is a question for a later date really)
I think there might be a small single room supplement (Paul can confirm), but as far as I know, no one shared rooms last year apart from the couples. There are several large bike storage rooms under the hotel. Some people used to take their bikes to their rooms instead, but they now charge extra for this. The storage rooms are safe enough though, and you can borrow a lock for free. I think Cult Racing hire out boxes, but there might also be someone in the club who would be willing to lend you one. I would, but I'll probably be going myself.

Kermit

Post by Kermit » 18 Sep 2014 20:40

Laurence has got it pretty much spot on. You can check the single room supplement on Alpharooms or Travel Republic but I think it's about an extra 15 euros per night. The rooms are nice and big so if you can find someone willing to share you will have plenty of space.

Bikes in rooms is a real no no. Not so much charging you extra as fining you if you do. Bike storage is so good that you really shouldn't need to. Bike hire is an option you might want to consider. Pro Bike Hire is right next to the hotel and usually does some good rates for us. Check out their web site.

Andy, you won't have any problems with B run pace. The roads are so good in Majorca that it's much easier to stay in a group. When in the mountains they tend to break up anyway and just gather again at the top or café.

rdleaper

Post by rdleaper » 18 Sep 2014 21:04

I'd be tempted by this! Don't want to commit just yet to see how my knee goes in next couple of months, but definitely interested. I'd probably hire a bike there as mine is nothing special!

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 18 Sep 2014 23:15

'Training camp'? I was thinking more like 'cycling holiday'.

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 20 Sep 2014 17:57

Me too!!!

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 22 Oct 2014 12:22

Hi folks we are going to have to miss out on Majorca or at least miss those weeks. This is when our daughter will be back in the UK so we will be in Salcombe with her!

rdleaper

Post by rdleaper » 12 Feb 2015 21:55

So who's going? There are still £40 flights from Bham to Palma but need to know about accommodation - where are people going to stay?

Kermit

Post by Kermit » 15 Feb 2015 18:52

Richard, nearly everyone is staying at Pollensa Park but if you can find somewhere else in Peurta Pollensa then go for it. You'll still be able to join our rides and also to meet up for a drink in the evenings.

It might be worth trying Alpha Rooms and Travel Republic to see if they still have any places left or you could try contacting the hotel direct to check rooms and prices. The staff speak good English, by phone or email. It's unlikely that there are no rooms available as the hotel is massive. Good luck and let me know if I can be of any help.

rdleaper

Post by rdleaper » 28 Feb 2015 13:55

Still not made my mind up! Pollensa Park is out of the question at the moment as they are charging £85 a night. I've found a great-looking place for just £30 a night about 10-15 minutes' walk away so that's an option. Flights work out at £68 return with Ryanair (plus extras) so £300-£350 total for an 8-night stay which is fine.

Just need to decide whether I want to go if I can't do much cycling; the knee I bashed last week is still sore and it's the one I had surgery on last year :( It might be OK in 6 weeks but it's just another unknown!

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 29 Apr 2015 16:05

Those of you who have recently returned from Mallorca might appreciate this from Niki Terpstra (including photos): https://www.strava.com/activities/294779660.