SUNRISE & SNOWDROP EXPRESS

Details of and discussion about club news & events (excluding races)

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole

Philip Whiteman

SUNRISE & SNOWDROP EXPRESS

Post by Philip Whiteman » 15 Feb 2015 19:16

Dear All.

Many thanks for your entries. The event is now completely full and I cannot accept any more people.

Car Parking Plea
: As many of you will know, car parking is at a premium at Whitlenge Garden Centre. I would very grateful if as many Beacon members as possible could 'park and ride' to the start, please. There are two locations to park: Hartlebury is five minutes away and Chaddesley is fifteen minutes away.

Chaddesley Corbett Route
Hartlebury Route

Route Details have been e-mailed to everybody but details can also be found here

Important Stuff: Audaxes are self guided rides; you must obtain a stamp for your Brevet Card at each of the controls within the times stated on the card; and you should not exceed the maximum average speed of 30kph or minimum of 15kph. There is no rescue service. Audaxers pretend not to race.
Last edited by Philip Whiteman on 22 Feb 2015 15:54, edited 2 times in total.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 18 Feb 2015 21:03

Gritted routes are now available from the Beacon webpage. Overnight temperatures before the event are going to be very close to freezing. By 9am, the temperature should be 3 Celsius. It is at your discretion on whether to use the gritted option. http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/audax/express/routes.html

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 21 Feb 2015 18:14

Once again a great event Phil. Many thanks to you and your team of helpers including Lisa and Thomas of course. I really enjoyed it turned out to be a brilliant day mostly bright but never letting you forget it was winter!

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 21 Feb 2015 18:18

Yes, thanks all. The snowrise was a nice added touch.

Si_Walker

Post by Si_Walker » 21 Feb 2015 18:25

In my capacity as Chairman and on behalf of the committee, I would like to add my thanks to Philip for the organisation and all those people that gave up their time to help out in the smooth running of the audax. The hospitality at Whitlenge Gardens was also very welcoming, in what must have been a very busy day for them. Once again this has been an event that is a credit to the Beacon RC Club.
Si Walker
Beacon Roads Cycling Club

KevF

Post by KevF » 21 Feb 2015 18:29

Big thanks to Phil and all his helpers for another successful and really enjoyable Snowdrop Audax. Well done one and all (and thanks to Si, Phil, Graham and Nick for their company).

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 21 Feb 2015 19:48

Thanks all.

Time to go uggg!

But I would like to take this as an opportune time to say:

ENTER THE KIDDERMINSTER KILLER OR FROM CLEE TO HEAVEN
NOW

http://beaconrcc.org.uk/audax/killerclee/index.html

GrahamGamblin

Post by GrahamGamblin » 22 Feb 2015 11:51

Just to add my thanks to Phil and everyone who helped out. Great day out. Thanks to Kev, Si, Nick and Phil G. for the company too.
Graham

Philip Whiteman

Report 2015

Post by Philip Whiteman » 23 Feb 2015 15:38

A copy of the report sent to all entrants....

Sunrise and Snowdrop Express Report 2015

Thank you for making a great day and congratulations to those ofyou that finished the ride.

If you enjoyed the day and would like to support the Beacon RCC’s bid to become Dacathlon Cycling Club of the year, please feel free to vote for us at http://www.decathlon.co.uk/blog/cycling ... shortlist/

Despite some entrants experiencing isolated snow showers early in the morning, we experienced a good turnout of riders for both events. Overall we had 172 starters with 170 finishers. Three people missed the deadline for the Snowdrop whilst on the Sunrise, four people literally walked through the door at the close-off time and their entries were validated by the skin-of-their-teeth.

Everyone returned back safely and there were no reported incidents. I heard a strange story of a rider clambering out of ditch in a state of laughter, so clearly a mystery. One person suffered two spokes fail but gallantly walked back to GHQ with half an hour to spare. A small number of others had the usual **flat**s.

Whitlege GC brilliant by engaging nine staff to service riders. This meant shorter queues compared with previous years. They were worked liked Trojans following a 6.30am start, not leaving for home until 12 hours later. I have donated some of the event’s surplus as tips to all the people present . Next year, the cafe owners promise a larger car park which should ease the congestion problem.

It would have been great to chat with you more but as you may noticed, Roy and I were beleaguered with waves of people coming through the door. So, please accept my offer an apologies for any brief exchanges.

With thanks

• Roy Bishop, Alan and Joan Nicholls and Mark Rigby as controllers;
• James Tate, Oscar Hopkins and Charlie Skinner on car park duty;
• Whitlenge Garden Centre, Stables Tea Room and Hampton Ferry for supporting the events.

Validated Ride Results

These will be posted in coming days at http://aukweb.net/results/detail/this/events/ . Please note that completion times are not published. We leave that to £30 entry events!

Lost Property

1 mortice key. If you are the owner and would like it returned then please send an SAE to Whitlenge or collect in person.

The Beacon RCC

If you are relatively local to Birmingham and would like to join a cycling club, please feel welcome to come along to one of our club runs and see us in the flesh. The Beacon prides itself on catering for cyclists of all tastes and abilities. Audaxing is just one of many activities. For details, see: www.beacon.rcc.org.uk

Future events:

You are invited to more audaxes, not just those provided by The Beacon but also to those organised by our intrepid controllers, Roy Bishop and Mark Rigby.

Over and out for now.

Regards

Philip Whiteman