Group riding skills coaching Tudor Grange

Details of and discussion about club news & events (excluding races)

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole

petemarshall

Group riding skills coaching Tudor Grange

Post by petemarshall » 22 May 2015 15:41

Last year Tim organised an evenings coaching session at Tudor Grange Track. Personally having not raced since I was young (rather than young at heart 😊) I found it a very useful session. I have mentioned these sessions to many who have expressed an interest in doing a session aimed at those who have never raced, those new to the sport and those returning after a break. Now the club has supported me in becoming a coach I am in the position to offer such a session.

The best place to do this would be at the Tudor Grange track in Solihull. I know this is a bit of a shlep for some but it is a good facility.
The only times available in the summer months are Monday evenings from 19.30 to 2100.

If there is sufficient interest then I will book a couple of evenings in July or August.
The evenings will consist of a formal coached session on the short course covering the basics of safe riding in groups. Whilst this is racing and sport specific (of particular value to those who wish to try road,cx or mtb cross country ) many of the same skills are relevant to club runs, audax and sportive riders.

Please post here if you are interested. Once I have 12 names I will make a booking.
There will be no cost for these sessions.
It would be great if an experienced rider could also help out on the night riding with the groups whilst I am coaching.
Last edited by petemarshall on 01 Jul 2015 16:46, edited 1 time in total.

neilo

skills coaching

Post by neilo » 23 May 2015 08:14

I'd be up for this Pete thanks, wanted to do it last year but work got in the way.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 23 May 2015 20:29

Monday's aren't always easy to get away from work early but depending on the date/s, I'll do my best to get there. Not interested in racing but could do with some basic skills.
Eat cake before you're hungry

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 23 May 2015 20:32

I'd like to attend, but won't be able to say for sure whether I can make it until I know the exact dates.

Gareth

Post by Gareth » 23 May 2015 21:07

That sounds a really interesting, I would certainly come along.

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 27 May 2015 12:01

I am booking the track for two Monday evenings
  • 7.30 – 9.00/9.30 on Monday
    27th July 2015
    10th August
Could those interested please email me at
pete@petemarshall.me
with Solihull Sessions
in the subject line.
I will then prepare a enrollment form.
Please note this will be for 18 + only at present.
You will require a Road , touring or Cyclo X bike in good working condition (there will be a bike check).

It must have two brakes and a freewheel (no fixed gear bikes on these sessions)

You will need to posses and wear a helmet at all times whilst taking part in the sessions.

For those who know the track the coached sessions will take place on the oval not the full track.

Parts of the sessions will be "un coached" ie free sessions using the full track. For these parts of the sessions you are accepting you will not be covered by BC's liability unless you are a Race silver or Ride member yourself but you do not need a BC race license to take part.

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 03 Jun 2015 17:37

And I have worked out how to link to the consent form ☺
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qks2zpr6fls7p ... .docx?dl=0
If it works download it fill it in and send to me at
pete@petemarshall.me
With Solihull Sessions in the message title and I will reserve a place. You will sign the form on the first evening.

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 09 Jun 2015 09:30

Three consent forms received so far. I am hoping for a minimum of 10 to make the sessions worthwhile so if you are interested please download and send in your form ASAP.

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 01 Jul 2015 16:46

Signed up so far

Alex Croft
Martin Davis
John Hunt
Laurence Cooley
James Graemer
Alistair Hey
Simon Turner
Robin Kirkham
Jessica Rhodes-Jones
Gareth Powley

Could do with a few more. 15 maximum
We will be covering basic group riding techniques and skills.
Make sure you all bring two bidons please

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 06 Jul 2015 16:17

Signed up so far
Alex Croft
Martin Davis
John Hunt
Laurence Cooley
James Graemer
Alistair Hey
Simon Turner
Robin Kirkham
Jessica Rhodes-Jones
Gareth Powley
Martyn Reisnor
Tom Bradbury
Matt Clegg

Two places left.

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 29 Jul 2015 20:13

Thanks to all those who took part.
They next session is on Monday 10tg August.
19:00 if you can get there. The session will start at 19:30 and will finish by 21:00.
Tim Egan is back from standing around on French hills so we can do some more adventurous techniques 8)

Still have a couple of places left so if you are interested please download the form and send it to me ( see above posts ).
We hope to be able to start to develop a full programme to assist those wishing to get Cat 3 and onwards during the winter.

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 09 Aug 2015 19:22

I am attempting to get a regular, fortnightly, slot for the Beacon at the Tudor Grange circuit This would be from 18:30 - 21:00. The circuit has lights. Hopefully using the circuit could be part of a training run for those racing or preparing to race next season.

I can't guarantee coaching availability at every session yet as our priority will be the Academy and the club is funding places for L1 coaches to support that. I am hoping to complete my L2 coaching during the winter and the Road Race module after that so will usually be available. Tim and Greg are both L2 coaches already and available to support me although both already have busy schedules.

Regular training at the Tudor Grange circuit, practice of race techniques and strategy could prove very useful to racers wishing to move up the categories and take part in circuit and criterium races in particular. I hope you will be able to support this and encourage other members and potential members to take part.

If you are not already signed up to this, download the consent form and send it to me.

I am using Facebook and Facebook messenger group to communicate about this but will update this board as well. But don't bother using the board's PM system for me as it just to easy tomiss and rubbish on a phone. Use messenger if you have it or email if you don't.