Drivers needed - SSSCCRRL road race, Enville, 25 May

Details of and discussion about club news & events (excluding races)

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole

laurence_cooley

Drivers needed - SSSCCRRL road race, Enville, 25 May

Post by laurence_cooley » 12 May 2017 16:58

We're supporting the Stourbridge CC in putting on a round of the SSSCCRRL (the local road race league) on the Enville circuit (HQ Halfpenny Green Airport) on Thursday 25 May. Stourbridge have quite a few riders in the league and will be providing marshals and we just need to provide cars to drive in front of three of the five handicap groups. James T will drive one and I'll probably be in the passenger seat on the race radio, so we're looking for a couple more drivers with passengers. The race starts at 19:00, so you'd probably need to be at the airport by about 18:00 to allow time for a briefing, fitting radios, etc. For insurance purposes, the drivers need to be BC members (the passengers don't have to be, however). Petrol costs will be paid. Let me know if you can help out. If you're interested in taking part in the league in future, this could be a good opportunity to see how it all works.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 12 May 2017 18:01

Just a word of warning. Drivers should check their insurance policy first. I made an inquiry some time for this purpose and discovered that I was not covered.

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 12 May 2017 19:46

Philip Whiteman wrote:Just a word of warning. Drivers should check their insurance policy first. I made an inquiry some time for this purpose and discovered that I was not covered.
The BC event insurance covers cars for the duration of the race, hence why the drivers need to be BC members. See here: https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/eventinsurance. I'll be sending the details of the cars to be used to the organiser before the event, so that they can be registered with BC for insurance purposes. Apologies - I should have made that clearer in the original post.

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 13 May 2017 21:29

Thanks to Pete Marshall and Chris Hudson for volunteering to drive. I'm still looking for a couple of passengers, and if anyone else is willing to drive, let me know as it's never a bad idea to have a back-up car.

laurence_cooley

Re: Drivers needed - SSSCCRRL road race, Enville, 25 May

Post by laurence_cooley » 26 May 2017 11:18

Thanks again to Pete and Chris for joining me and James at last night's race. I'll sort you out with petrol money next time I see you (sorry, forgot to bring enough cash with me on the night).

A message from Roger Allen, the organiser:
A huge thanks to everybody for giving up a lovely evening yesterday to stand on junctions/drive lead cars/be stuck in the HQ.

Your efforts made the race another resounding success, all the boxes were ticked with British Cycling to ensure safe running, no adverse incidents, good racing, a good winner from a scary bunch sprint (Chris Pook).

Help from fellow league members Beacon RCC is also very much appreciated and allowed us a little flexibility with marshalling, lead cars and first aid.

Laurence, please can you pass our gratitude on to your people who attended.