Beacon RCC's Autumn Rivers Audax - 7th October

Details of and discussion about club news & events (excluding races)

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole

Philip Whiteman

Beacon RCC's Autumn Rivers Audax - 7th October

Post by Philip Whiteman » 08 Aug 2017 10:04

Belbroughton, Worcs - Bromyard - Ross on Wye - Winchcombe - Belbroughton.

The next Beacon Roads Cycling Club audax is just two months away on Saturday, 7th October. You may be interested in entering.

There are no expensive fees, no headline sponsors, no goodie bags, no kettling of riders, no numbers, no gold standard times, no broom wagons and no pretending at the finish to have looked into the jaws of hell and survived.

The Autumn Audax is cycling at its best. It’s about a good distance in a day, riding at a sensible pace with good company, travelling through quiet and pleasant countryside in the orange glow of an autumn day before winter arrives.

The route for this event will change each year. The 2017 Autumn Rivers audax circuits Herefordshire and Worcestershire crossing some wonderful English rivers, passing through tranquil English wooded countryside on route. The route is lumpy for the first third with a few longish climbs but soon eases off after Ross-on-Wye.

The route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/17226871

Entry and information: http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/audax/autumn/index.html

Riders simply stop at the controls and collect evidence of proof of passages (an ATM, till or café receipt) and answer information questions shown in their brevet card – just to make sure that everyone’s ride can be validated as a true audax at the end of the day. Control points are located in towns where plenty of cafes and shops can be found.

Dusk is a 7pm by which time, the majority of riders will have returned but it is always a great idea to carry lights just in case of delay.

· Picturesque scenery
· Quiet country lanes
· Open controls where proofs of passage can easily be obtained
· Plenty of cafes and shops available at control locations
· GPS downloads
· Comprehensive and tested route cards
· Shower and changing facilities
· Free parking
· Light refreshments at the start
· Post event food at HQ
· 2 Audax Altitude Award points for 2,000m of ascent
· On-the-day validation of successful audax rides

Kind regards

Philip Whiteman
Organiser

Philip Whiteman

Re: Beacon RCC's Autumn Rivers Audax - 7th October

Post by Philip Whiteman » 11 Sep 2017 19:52

Please find the route sheet and joining details attached.
Attachments
Autumn Rivers Audax Route Sheet.zip
(68.35 KiB) Downloaded 265 times

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 19 Sep 2017 19:17

Just two and half weeks remain before this event and I will be shutting down the entry system soon.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 21 Sep 2017 15:41

JUST 7 PLACES LEFT AND THEY ARE NOW GOING FAST

Please note that once the entry system is closed, I will only be accepting full AUK members onto the reservations list.

keith

Post by keith » 08 Oct 2017 12:55

Well done Philip and the elves for another excellent event
The section along the Wye was particularly nice although it was bracketed by a couple of serious climbs . Plenty of places to stop an eat and stiĺ get back in a reasonable time . It's a shame in a way it's a one off. We will riding beyond the dyke next year, still as has been mentioned elsewhere you can always ride it for free on another day 😁

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 08 Oct 2017 18:38

keith wrote:
08 Oct 2017 12:55
Well done Philip and the elves for another excellent event
The section along the Wye was particularly nice although it was bracketed by a couple of serious climbs . Plenty of places to stop an eat and stiĺ get back in a reasonable time . It's a shame in a way it's a one off. We will riding beyond the dyke next year, still as has been mentioned elsewhere you can always ride it for free on another day 😁

Many thanks Keith. Given the favourable feedback elsewhere, I think that this route will certainly not gather dust and it will make a reappearance. However, comments about the catering made yesterday leads to the the conclusion that chille-con-carne outweighed the actual ride. So next year I may just abandon the audax and simply provide food instead.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 09 Oct 2017 14:11

Dear Audaxer

AUTUMN RIVERS AUDAX ROUND-UP

Congratulations to all that completed this event. Everyone returned in good time and I did not hear any complaint aside from swearing about the matter of a few small hills before and after Ross. Given the positive feedback it is fair to say that Autumn Rivers will return as a route in the future. For 2018, the Autumn Audax will shall be revisiting Alan Mason’s ‘Beyond the Dyke’ Route which last ran in the late 1990s. I am just in the process of finalising a route that is the least silliest in terms of hill climbing whilst maintaining scenic integrity. This will hopefully go live in the next few weeks.

Here are some stats for this year:

· 70 starters and 68 finishers

· 15 Did not start

· 2 Did not finish

· Earliest finisher at 4.20pm

· Lantern Rouge at 8.30pm

The complete list of finishers names have been submitted to AUK but have not yet been published. Keep an eye open at http://www.aukweb.net/results/detail/this/events/

In dispatches for most audacious riders come were Paul Manasseh and Sarah Peters. Autumn Rivers only accounted for one third of Paul’s total fixed wheel ride, having ridden a total of 600km as an ‘Extended Calendar Event’ audax . Sarah Peters, temporarily without a serviceable road bike decided to ride the Autumn Rivers on a mountain bike. Both Paul and Sarah are clearly made of tough stuff. For several others, the Autumn Rivers Audax was their first ever 200km and it hopefully will not be their last. Marcus Mumford was also spotted on a fixed whilst John and Linda Hamilton battled their way up the climbs on a tandem.

I would like to pay special tribute Oscar Hopkins and Charlie Skinner who are retiring from car park marshaling after too many years than I care to remember. Thanks also go to our other event supporters; Simon Walker who busily served people in the morning plus are the evening ‘chilli’ crew in the form of Matt and Beccy Regan, Carolyn Clegg and James Tate.

Finally, it looks as though I have made a rod for my own back in terms of chilli-con-carne as the post event feast. Don’t forget Phil Richards’ Sunrise and Snowdrop Express in February and I may see you again at the Kidderminster Killer in July, if not at another audax event.

Kind regards

Philip Whiteman

Oscar

Post by Oscar » 11 Oct 2017 15:32

I did say on the morning that I had been in the Beacon for 65 years but I was slightly out, it was only 63 years. But that still means that I was cycling with the Beacon long before you were born. Its a great life isnt it?