Jeff Gould

Details of and discussion about club news & events (excluding races)

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole

Mike Gould

Jeff Gould

Post by Mike Gould » 04 Dec 2017 22:43

Hi

I registered to pass on the sad news that Jeff (my dad) passed away a few weeks ago, aged 78. He'd had dementia for a couple of years.

He and my mum Jean rode with Beacon during the 60s. In fact there used to be a few pictures of them on this site but I can't find them now. They were friends with Rod and Chris Goodfellow, Dave Duffield amongst others

In the 70s they eventually settled in Macclesfield, Cheshire and started the family business - a cycle shop (!) which is still going today. My dad continued to ride, with Macc Wheelers, until a succession of cycling spills / fractures and a serious illness about 20 years ago cost him some mobility

My mum is not so computer-savvy but says hi to anyone who might remember her

CakeStop

Re: Jeff Gould

Post by CakeStop » 04 Dec 2017 23:12

I'm very sorry to read of the loss of your father. We still have the images previously displayed in the photo archive on our web site and propose to add these back to our recently redesigned site in due course. In the meantime, if you wish to download a copy of the images including your father and mother I could provide a link for you to do so.
Eat cake before you're hungry

Yosser

Post by Yosser » 05 Dec 2017 14:23

Hi Mike. I joined the club in 1967 and have very clear memories of both your parents. Both also impressive riders with Geoff being a bit of a hard man (despite the sticking plaster that used to hold his spectacles together). Please pass on my best wishes to Jean for me and may I add my condolences to you and your family.

Les Ladbury

Post by Les Ladbury » 05 Dec 2017 16:46

I have many memories of Jeff and Jean in the early '60s. One of which is spending a wet Saturday afternoon in their flat in Stoke Newington listening to Richard Burton's "Under Milk Wood".
Jeff introduced me to the work of Dylan Thomas and that is only one reason to have fond memories of the Beacon in those days.
RIP Jeff an alround good bloke.
Les

Rod Goodfellow
Location: Cranage,Holmes Chapel,Cheshire,UK or Lake Wales,Florida

Post by Rod Goodfellow » 05 Dec 2017 18:48

Jeff was a good mate of mine from when we met when he first came to Brum from the Welsh Valleys,riding for Abercynon RC.I think his father had a bike shop in that area. We both joined the Beacon in around 1961 with me (and his future wife Jean Platt) from B'ham UniversityCRC with the intention of riding the Welsh 12hr champs.In the event we did not win the team when Jeff had a pedal fall off and was DNF. The rest of the team (Dave Cane and Mick deMoulpied) did not amass enough miles to beat the Welsh All Stars Cycling Unit.
Jeff and I met again about 30 years ago when both riding Manchester DC time trials,but by then Jeff was handicapped by having vascular surgery,which I think was an aortic aneurysm.He and Jean around that time owned an apartment in Moreira,Spain which we borrowed for a week around 1990.
It would be interesting to see who of the pre 1970 members are still around.

Oscar

Post by Oscar » 06 Dec 2017 16:30

Sorry to hear the news about Jeff, We knew Jeff and Jean well very in the sixties.

Mike Gould

Post by Mike Gould » 11 Dec 2017 20:47

Thanks to everyone for the kind words

snailmale

Post by snailmale » 28 Dec 2017 22:04

Had some good times with Jeff in the early 60's I remember we had a weekend at his home in Pontyclun to ride a local 50. So sorry y=to hearof his passing. Loveto Jean
It is better to be interesting rather than exact

raggett

Post by raggett » 03 Feb 2018 18:31

Hi Mike,sorry to hear about your dad ; I hope Jean is OK . I join her in being not very computer-savvy but doing my best...slowly ! Please give her my very best wishes. Sheila