Snowdrop and Sunrise audaxes - Final word

Details of and discussion about club news & events (excluding races)

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole

WorcsPhil

Snowdrop and Sunrise audaxes - Final word

Post by WorcsPhil » 26 Feb 2018 08:59

Just a final word from me on the 2018 Snowdrop and Sunrise Audaxes.

We had 275 entrants over the two events, and as Philip had warned me, this event always has a lot of DNS's due to the time of year, and how long ago people actually entered. On the day, we had 170 starters and 162 finishers, with only one report of a slight accident, but no injuries. We had one rider who rode without gloves after he left them in his kitchen, and one who rode with one cycling shoe and one trainer...we had 2 people in shorts, but NO ONE without a helmet...great stuff.

A big thank you to Philip Whiteman for patiently guiding me through the process of my first audax as organiser, and to the HQ support of Claire Dignon, Martin McGowan, Alistair Hey and Ade Ravenscroft...also to Stuart and Adam and Colin on car parking duties. Also to Dave/Ann Cole and Mark Rigby, who manned the barren outposts at Evesham and Upton...thanks all for helping!

On completion of this event, we get many complements of how well run this event is, and how it represents Beacon in a good light, which is very reassuring to hear...it is a 'big' event in audax terms, with nearly 200 riders, which hits even more when I remember that I entered an audax in early October (not Dr Whiteman's), where there were 4 of us, and one of them was the organiser.

Finally, as you know an audax is not a race, but for your records (which I know you all keep), first back was Toby Draper in 4hrs16 (12:46), and the last one back was a few seconds before 5pm..real full-value riders.

That's it - I will continue to organise in 2019, but this one will now go quiet for 8 or 9 months...next up is Lord Philip Whiteman with the Kidderminster 'Nice ride' audax in July.

Enjoy your cycling year.

Si_Walker

Re: Snowdrop and Sunrise audaxes - Final word

Post by Si_Walker » 26 Feb 2018 10:08

Phil, thanks for organising the event; a stirling effort. Also thanks to all the people that helped support you at the controls etc. without them it would not be possible to have such well organised audax. Despite the chilly conditions it was a great day out in the sunshine.
Si Walker
Beacon Roads Cycling Club

toby

Post by toby » 26 Feb 2018 14:07

Cracking job Phil and team... thanks for keeping this event going!

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 26 Feb 2018 20:04

The fat has not yet sung for Phil. So whilst it may be the final word, it is not home and dry. Paying monies over to AUK, dealing with Brevet Cards, etc.