Coronavirus - BC update 25/3/20

Details of and discussion about club news & events (excluding races)

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole

George

Coronavirus - BC update 25/3/20

Post by George » 25 Mar 2020 22:08

We received the following from BC today. It's mainly a reiteration of the existing policy, which now applies until 30 June.

Important information on club rides

Since confirming the suspension of all sanctioned cycling activity had been extended until 30 June a few days ago, many of you have reached out to share your concerns, as well as best practice, messages of hope and encouragement.

It has been heartening to see so many of you from our club network behave responsibly, but we must reiterate – we need to come together to protect the health and wellbeing of everyone on a bike and those around us.

That means all organised club activity must stop – from group rides to coaching sessions, training and events. These are exceptional times, but it also means that whenever we go out on our bikes, we must remember our duty to ride responsibly. Following Government advice on social distancing, right now we should only ride on our own, or with people we live with, keeping two metres apart from anyone we meet, and stopping and waiting for people to pass when necessary.

Riding a bike is a great way to aid your physical and mental health, and provided that guidance on social distancing is followed, we urge all cyclists to only ride on routes you know well, that are close to home and that are well within your ability level - this is a time for calm recreation, not for challenging yourself.

Now, more than ever, we must ride our bikes responsibly. We're doing this to protect ourselves and others, and to make it safe for everyone to ride.

George

Re: Coronavirus - BC update 25/3/20

Post by George » 25 Mar 2020 22:15

The phrase "close to home" is obviously open to interpretation. I can't imagine that BC mean we should restrict ourselves to riding round and round the block. Personally, I'm interpreting it as meaning that I should ride on roads I know well, and not venture far enough from home that I might need to interact with people outside my own household, e.g. to get food/water or in the event of a mechanical.