DENNIS BAKER

Details of and discussion about club news & events (excluding races)

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole

charlie

DENNIS BAKER

Post by charlie » 11 Jun 2020 14:47

Just had a phone call from Jane one of Dennis's daughters to let me know that he passed away just after 8 am this morning. He'd been unwell for a while. Actual cause is not known at the moment. Dennis was one of the founder members of the Club. RIP old friend.

George

Re: DENNIS BAKER

Post by George » 11 Jun 2020 15:17

...and a former club record holder at 50 miles, I think. But, above all, a constantly cheerful, helpful and kind man.

Goodbye and thank you, Dennis.

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 13 Jun 2020 13:32

Very sad he was a club stalwart when I joined and always up for a chat out at the Liveridge Cafe gatherings on Tuesdays until recently. Astonishingly kind. One tale was when he was out in his Skoda after retirement (but before satnavs) and met a lorry driver stuck in Icknield St nr the Peacock. He acted as a banksman as the fraught driver reversed out. And then led him all the way to Hockley's Icknield St to make his delivery. As the now overwhelmed driver said - you're one in a million mate"

Oscar

Post by Oscar » 13 Jun 2020 18:12

Sorry to hear about Dennis. The last but one of our founder members, We were the last visitors to see him before the lockdown. We will miss him. Our last founder member still alive is Harry Morris. He will be 90 in August.

charlie

Post by charlie » 29 Jun 2020 11:44

Just had details from one of Dennis's daughters about the funeral which is on Wednesday 1st July at Redditch Crematorium at 12-30. With the numbers permitted to attend being restricted, myself,my wife, Andrene, and Ruth Eyles have been asked to represent the club of which he was so proud. There is a Zoom type system in place for those that would like to watch the funeral, you will need the username(Baje6749)and the password(129904) you may also need to use www.obitus.com. Hope you can "attend" and help us celebrate the life of one of our founder members.
Dennis is on the right below with John Green
db.jpg
db.jpg (231.57 KiB) Viewed 3775 times

David Cole

Post by David Cole » 01 Jul 2020 19:29

When I was competing in Time Trials Dennis used to come and watch from a layby on the course. He used to come and see me afterwards saying he was so proud to see the Beacon colours racing.
Dave
David Cole

Beacon Roads Cycling Club