CLAIMS AND NOMINATIONS FOR CLUB TROPHIES

Details of and discussion about club news & events (excluding races)

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole

George

CLAIMS AND NOMINATIONS FOR CLUB TROPHIES

Post by George » 01 Nov 2020 19:18

Every year, members' racing and other achievements are recognised with trophies and awards in a wide variety of fields. Ordinarily, presentations are made at the Annual Dinner, but that's obviously not going to happen this year because the current restrictions prevent us holding a Dinner. Instead, there will be a virtual presentation session on Zoom immediately after the AGM (Thursday 10 December).
With some trophies and awards, it's easy to know who's won: the TT Sec has the times from the 10-mile TT Championship, for example, and can obviously see who was fastest. With other things, the award depends on achievements that club officials might not know about unless riders tell them. In those cases, if you think that you might've won, you need to make a claim. That's a fancy way of saying that you have to get in touch with the relevant bod on the Committee to let them know what you've done.
Because there are so many awards, and it's easy to forget what you need to do for which, here's a list of trophies and awards, with the ones that need claiming highlighted. For full details, see the PDF on the club website (http://beaconrcc.org.uk/wp-content/uplo ... s-2020.pdf). If you're unsure about anything, ask me or another Committee member.
** Claims need to be made by the end of Thursday 26 November. ** You can DM me via this board, or e-mail me (george [at] beaconrcc [dot] org [dot] uk), or you can contact the club officer who does the admin for the relevant field (e.g. TT Secretary Gemma for TT trophies). If anything's unclear, reply to this post.

Touring etc:
Touring Champion – CLAIMS NEEDED!
Audax Champion – CLAIMS NEEDED!
Beacon sportive rider of the year – CLAIMS NEEDED!
Club Run Points Champion

Off-roading:
Mountain Bike Champion – CLAIMS NEEDED!
Cyclo-cross Champion – CLAIMS NEEDED!
Junior Cyclo‐cross Champion – CLAIMS NEEDED!

TTing:
Junior 10-mile TT Champion
Women’s 10-mile TT Champion
Senior 10-mile TT Champion
Junior 25‐mile TT Champion
Women’s 25‐mile TT
Senior 25‐mile TT Champion
Women’s 50-mile TT Champion
Senior 50-mile TT Champion
Senior 100-mile TT Champion – CLAIMS NEEDED!
Senior 12-hour TT Champion – CLAIMS NEEDED!
Junior BAR – CLAIMS NEEDED!
Women’s BAR – CLAIMS NEEDED!
Senior BAR – CLAIMS NEEDED!
Veterans’ BAR – CLAIMS NEEDED!
20-mile Handicap TT Champion
Handicap BAR
Hill Climb Champion
Women’s Hill Climb Champion

Road racing:
No awards possible this year.

Track racing:
No awards possible this year.

Other:
Club Person of the Year – NOMINATIONS INVITED! (see separate post)

Philip Whiteman

Re: CLAIMS AND NOMINATIONS FOR CLUB TROPHIES

Post by Philip Whiteman » 01 Nov 2020 19:33

Whilst I appreciate that it is ideal to maintain normality during current times, I am struggling to see the logic of awards this year. In many instances, there is no level playing field and a lack of events within which candidates can attract sufficient credit to be awarded a trophy. For what it is worth, AUK have suspended awards this year for that very reason.

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 01 Nov 2020 20:19

Philip Whiteman wrote:
01 Nov 2020 19:33
Whilst I appreciate that it is ideal to maintain normality during current times, I am struggling to see the logic of awards this year. In many instances, there is no level playing field and a lack of events within which candidates can attract sufficient credit to be awarded a trophy. For what it is worth, AUK have suspended awards this year for that very reason.
I can see that point in relation to some of the awards, but the TTs were well attended this year and some of them were advertised as club championships, so I don't think it would be fair not to award those.

George

Post by George » 01 Nov 2020 21:09

Philip Whiteman wrote:
01 Nov 2020 19:33
Phil, rest assured that the subject has been discussed at length. The general feeling was that the situation was different for each discipline. Where cyclocross is concerned, for example, the trophies relate to *last* winter, before any restrictions were imposed. There was a full season of cyclocross, and it's not really fair for someone who raced and qualified for a trophy to be denied that trophy on the grounds that other types of competition were not possible later in the year. As Laurence says, the situation is very similar where many of the TTs are concerned: there was a Hill Climb Championship as usual, so why should the winners be denied their trophies, just because other forms of competition didn't take place? At the other end of the spectrum are the track awards. We had no track championship, so obviously you can't make any awards. And, as you'll see, that's acknowledged in the list above. Between those two extremes (full season/no season), lots of other disciplines had partial seasons. The qualifying year for various awards (club runs, audaxes, sportives, etc) runs from 1 October to 30 September. During that period, events were not taking place for roughly four months. So there were eight months when people *could* ride and *could* amass points or whatever. It seems a shame to write off what people did in those eight months, on the grounds that there was a period when no one was amassing points. Everyone was in the same boat, after all, and had the same (curtailed) opportunity to ride events.

In short, I feel (and the committee feels) that the situation isn't ideal, but *not* making the awards that can be made would be very hard on a lot of deserving people.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 01 Nov 2020 21:51

Thanks, George. That is a good explanation.

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 13 Dec 2020 12:29

Final list of trophy winners here: http://beaconrcc.org.uk/club-trophy-winners-2020/. Well done everyone!