KIDDERMINSTER KILLER 2021 - 24th July

Details of and discussion about club news & events (excluding races)

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole

Philip Whiteman

KIDDERMINSTER KILLER 2021 - 24th July

Post by Philip Whiteman » 06 Apr 2021 10:14

ARE YOU NOT RIDING BUT ABLE TO SUPPORT THE EVENT?

Volunteers are really appreciated at this event and it also gives Beacon members or frequent audaxers a chance to put something back into the sport. I am looking for helpers in the following:

Morning. 7am - 8'ish
- Covid Marshals to direct riders at the hall (hopefully superfluous positions by July)
- Car Park Marshal
- Catering
- Registration

Late Afternoon/Evening

- Kitchen. Various slots between 5 and 10.30pm
- Registering riders
- Clearing up at 10-11pm.

Photographer
- Always a nice to have, especially at the scenic locations.

Licensed Drone Operator
- Now that might be stretching it but I thought I would ask.

NOMINATED BENEFICIARY

https://www.wyreforestnightstop.org.uk/[/size]

laurence_cooley

Re: KIDDERMINSTER KILLER 2021

Post by laurence_cooley » 06 Apr 2021 10:26

I made a news item about this year's audaxes for the front page of the website last week, so have updated that with this information. I also updated the audax pages at the same time, so those should all be up-to-date now.

Philip Whiteman

Re: KIDDERMINSTER KILLER 2021

Post by Philip Whiteman » 06 Apr 2021 10:27

laurence_cooley wrote:
06 Apr 2021 10:26
I made a news item about this year's audaxes for the front page of the website last week, so have updated that with this information. I also updated the audax pages at the same time, so those should all be up-to-date now.
Ta, much appreciated

Philip Whiteman

Re: KIDDERMINSTER KILLER 2021 - 24th July

Post by Philip Whiteman » 23 May 2021 11:11

JUST 10 SPARE PLACES LEFT.

Enter now or forever hold your peace. You have been told!

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 27 May 2021 11:02

THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO....

................................Or rather the WI.

BRAND NEW FOR 2021.

A village hall control at Chapel Lawn where cakes, sandwiches and refreshments will be served to the Kidderminster Killers. It comes at 130km, at a point when most riders will be flagging. El Director of the LEL, Danial Webb, will be in charge of the control.

Just four places left on this event.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 04 Jun 2021 16:00

The KK is now full and the entry system has closed down. If you missed out, I look forward to seeing you at the Beyond the Dyke on 2nd October, which is dedicated to the late Alan Mason, who contributed a huge amount to the Beacon RCC in years gone by, including the development of this route.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 06 Jul 2021 18:17

Whilst held after 19th July ‘freedom day’, precautionary measures will be in place with an emphasis on avoidance on social distancing and avoidance of crowding.

• Flexible departure times between 07:15 and 08:00 and no group start.
• Takeout food and drinks only at the start (socially spaced seating be will available at the finish).
• Please maintain social distancing.
• Face masks are strongly advised for indoor environments such as the Belbroughton, Chapel Lawn and other venues along the route.
• Follow one-way systems at the start.
• Hand cleansing gels available.
• Surface cleansing.
• NHS Track and Trace available at Belbroughton.
• Follow local instructions at Chapel Lawn.

DO NOT start the event if you are experiencing Covid Symptoms.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 28 Jul 2021 15:21

Dear Audaxer

The Kidderminster Killer Round Up

If you missed the ride, you missed a challenging day out on the saddle, but people returned chipper if not feeling rather sore. The weather was excellent, and the previously forecast rain held off.

If you have yet to submit a GPX proof-of-passage, others having already submitted their files or opted for Brevet Cards or E-brevet, then please remember you have a deadline of 7th August. After which, validations will not be possible.

Some of you will have spotted Ian Taylor taking images of ascending riders on The Burway. The images can be found at: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO ... hLNldoTGZn

Chapel Lawn Village Hall have already agreed to host the event again next year. This is good news considering the wonderful job they did in providing copious quantities of rolls and cakes. By which time, let’s hope that Shropshire Council manage to fill a few more holes!

I don’t know the exact figures on the number of people that completed the event yet but nearly all returned, with a handful missing the deadline of 22.35. They may have been late but are to be equally congratulated for completing this challenging route. Several others that fearful of missing the deadline managed to make up good time between Chapel Lawn and Ludlow. We 69 starters out 120 entries but this low figure is average for this particular audax, as many get the collywobbles or decide to take last minute holidays instead.

Our next audax that is open to entries is Beyond the Dyke, scheduled for 2nd October. It is not an ‘easy’ route but is considerably easier than the Kidderminster Killer. It starts in Belbroughton and heads over Offa’s Dyke via Craven Arms, before swinging back through Presteigne and the Teme Valley. There is no ‘catered for’ control on route but a meal will be available for returning riders at Belbroughton. http://beaconrcc.org.uk/audaxes/autumn-audax/

Other audaxes in the pipeline include:

• Salt and Cotswolds. 200km (organised by me for Droitwich CC). 13th Nov. Droitwich – Tewkesbury – Witney – Shipston – Droitwich. A basic x’rated event. Entries opening soon.
• Sunrise & Snowdrop Express. 123km. (organised by Phil Richards). Late Feb. Hartlebury – Evesham – Upton – Hartlebury.
• Begwyns, Books and Stones. 200km. Mid_April. Bewdley – Presteigne – Hundred House – Hay – Arthur’s Stones – Leominster - Bewdley. A basic x’rated event.
• Hay Skivers. 200km. Mid May. Bewdley – Ludlow – Hay – Gospel/Craswall Passes – Ledbury – Bewdley. A basic x’rated event.

I would like to publicly thank the following people for their help and making this event possible:
• Danial Webb at Chapel Lawn
• Ian Taylor with camera
• Glyn and Angie Marston
• Dave Cox
• Neil Orchard
• Mark Rigby
• Marianna Sorrell
• Laurence Cooley
• Paul Gilliver
• Ant and Donna Wheatley

If you don’t make one our events before next year, I hope to see you again at the 2022 Kidderminster Killer.

Kind regards

Philip