Maggie Thompson Birthday video

Details of and discussion about club news & events (excluding races)

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole

David Cole

Maggie Thompson Birthday video

Post by David Cole » 18 Sep 2021 11:59

Maggie Thompson ex Beacon Time Triallist 70th Birthday

I have received a message below from Maggie's sister. do any Beacon members remember Maggie?

Hello David, I'm Maggie Thompson's sister. I hope you won't mind me emailing out of the blue, but I'm trying to get in touch with all Maggie's good friends as she will be 70 in November, and we're hoping to make surprise birthday video for her. I've got in touch because Beacon RCC was such a big part of Maggie's life in her early riding career, and I know she still keeps an eye on the club. I realise that you may not know Maggie personally but, as the club's general secretary, I thought you would be a good person to help me find someone who does know or remember her and who might be able to lead me to more contacts in the club and beyond. I do hope you might be able to help me.

All the best

Pat
Pat Gordon-Smith
Please contact me for Pat Gordon-Smith's contact details
David Cole

Beacon Roads Cycling Club

George

Re: Maggie Thompson Birthday video

Post by George » 20 Sep 2021 11:46

Dave, I don't remember Maggie from her racing days, but I have recently made her acquaintance in connection with the 75th anniversary. I may be able to put Pat in touch with one or two people, so please send me her details.

Rod Goodfellow
Location: Cranage,Holmes Chapel,Cheshire,UK or Lake Wales,Florida

Re: Maggie Thompson Birthday video

Post by Rod Goodfellow » 20 Sep 2021 17:31

It was Maggie's idea to form a Midland womens cycling team which led to a meeting at our house where June Pitchford and Jan Crowther decided to join Chris Goodfellow in the Beacon, so Maggie abandoned her plans and also joined the Beacon resulting in a team which won national TT championships at all distances in the early 70s.