Club Person of the Year 2021

Details of and discussion about club news & events (excluding races)

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, WorcsPhil, Beacon RCC, George, laurence_cooley, David Cole

George

Club Person of the Year 2021

Post by George » 01 Oct 2021 16:25

The Beacon Club Person of the Year Trophy was established by Trevor Shipway and Tony Shardlow in 1996 to recognise the 'unsung heroes of the club'. In other words, members who work behind the scenes to organise and help with the many activities that contribute to the running of the club and its programme of events. The Club Person of the Year doesn't need to be a regular cyclist; anyone who's a member of the Beacon can be nominated. The presentation is made at the Annual Dinner. (With the recipient's identity kept secret, Oscars-style!)

So, if there's someone whom you think deserves this trophy, or you'd like to nominate yourself, please send me your suggestion and say why you're suggesting the person in question.

For reasons of suspense and fairness, nominations should be made confidentially, e.g. by sending me a direct message via this site, or e-mailing me (george [at] beaconrcc [dot] org [dot] uk).

laurence_cooley

Re: Club Person of the Year 2021

Post by laurence_cooley » 04 Oct 2021 20:41

George, do you have a record of recent winners? I don't know if people can be Club Person of the Year more than once, but even presuming they can, having an idea of who has and hasn't been awarded the title before would be useful in thinking through who I might nominate.

George

Post by George » 05 Oct 2021 09:25

laurence_cooley wrote:
04 Oct 2021 20:41
George, do you have a record of recent winners? I don't know if people can be Club Person of the Year more than once, but even presuming they can, having an idea of who has and hasn't been awarded the title before would be useful in thinking through who I might nominate.
Good point, Laurence. My own records only cover the period since I've overseen the process, but I think it must be possible to establish who the previous winners are. The quickest approach may be the crudest: to ask Neil to read them off the trophy. I'll look into it.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no rule saying that a person can't win it twice. However, also to the best of my knowledge, no one *has* won it twice. I've always supposed that my predecessors took the view that recognising a wide range of people is desirable and that introducing a competitive dimension is undesirable. I'm inclined to go along with that. While I wouldn't categorically exclude giving the award to someone who has won it before, I would consider that appropriate only in unusual circumstances. If, for example, a person received the award for tireless work in one role, and ten years later they start some completely new initiative that has a major positive impact on club life, I would definitely consider them. However, I think I would be less inclined to consider a nomination for a previous recipient who has 'merely' continued to do what they received the award for a couple of years ago. It would also require a very strong case to make me consider someone who holds a senior elected office because, no matter how tirelessly they work, it seems inappropriate to me that senior officers should be rewarding one another.

George

Post by George » 05 Oct 2021 18:02

The last eleven winners of the CPotY trophy are:

Gemma Johnson
Ade Ravenscroft
Laurence Cooley
Martin McGowan
Gary Mackintosh
Tim Egan
Andy Craddock
Roger Green
Charles White
Lynne Yeates
Phil Whiteman

Although the final decision on the recipient lies with me, I am very much led by 'the will of the membership'. If I get a pile of persuasive nominations for one person, I'm very likely to award it to that person regardless of any of the considerations referred to in my previous post. Things like whether someone has won before therefore come into play only where the decision is a close call.