Laurent Fignon

Discussion about professional racing
Between Peaks

Laurent Fignon

Post by Between Peaks » 31 Aug 2010 13:20

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 31 Aug 2010 13:41

What a shame. I know that he continued his professonial media career well into the period of his cancer. He must surely be classed not only as a great cyclist but as one of the Tour's greatest characters too. Many will not forget that he lost to Greg Lemond by only a few seconds on the very last stage of Tour making it the tightest event ever.

Mattoid

Post by Mattoid » 01 Sep 2010 09:17

Sad news indeed. The Professor was one of my cycling heroes as a teenager, and i wore my Systeme U top with pride. He stuck to his guns which certainly rocked many a boat, but that only added to his distinguishing character. Hard working, on and off the bike, his palmares is lengthy aswell as his business involvements and race organising, notibly Paris Nice. He is regrettably remembered for losing the Tour to Greg Lemond, which unfortunately overrides his victory in '83, at his first attempt, and then backed up with another the following year.

A legend passes.

Saracen

Post by Saracen » 01 Sep 2010 10:38

Terribly sad news.
To die at 50 is bad enough but to know you are dying when you still have such a lust for and love of life makes it all the more tragic.