2013 Giro d'Italia

Discussion about professional racing
Kev C

2013 Giro d'Italia

Post by Kev C » 28 Apr 2013 19:27

So the Giro is upon us and who do we think is in with a shout of winning this year? Are there any other serious contenders outside of Wiggo, Nibali and Hesjedal? Is the time trial long enough for Wiggo to put some serious time into his rivals? Rodriguez looks to be in good form as does Scarponi (Is it too late for Italy's eternal second?) and Gesink too (I don't think a Dutchman has ever won the Giro- could he be the first?). Possibly Sanchez or Basso? Looking forward to seeing how it all pans out over the three weeks.
When my legs hurt, I say: "Shut up legs! Do what I tell you to do!" ~ Jens Voigt

rdleaper

Post by rdleaper » 28 Apr 2013 22:12

A lot of contenders - Contador, Valverde, Froome, Rodriguez (don't think he's in it Kevin?), Quintana etc. - sitting this out, presumably with Le Tour in mind. I'm not sure Gesink or Basso will feature at the very top; Basso seems to be found wanting in the toughest stages these days and Gesink is maybe more top 10 than top 5.

I'm gonna go for a straight fight between Wiggo and Nibali, with Wiggo maybe edging it with his time trialling, but I reckon it'll be very close! Perhaps Hesjedal third, with Scarponi, Sanchez, Basso, Evans and Gesink not far back, and maybe the likes of Betancur to continue his impressive season with a top 10?

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 29 Apr 2013 15:02

Same here, probably be a Wiggins V Nibali, although would love to see Evans up there as well.

Wonder why people keep mentioning Basso, his best days are looking like a distant memory.

Kev C

Post by Kev C » 29 Apr 2013 19:35

rdleaper wrote:A lot of contenders - Contador, Valverde, Froome, Rodriguez (don't think he's in it Kevin?), Quintana etc. - sitting this out, presumably with Le Tour in mind.

I think you're right about Rodriguez Richard. I got excited after the hinted he might contend the Giro following his solo stage 5 victory in the Tirreno-Adriatico. It's a shame because he has clearly shown he's one of the best Grand Tour riders around what with his results last year: 2nd place in the Giro and 3rd in the Vuelta. Still like you said looks like Le Tour is his priority and to do both that and the Giro in the same year is a big ask.
When my legs hurt, I say: "Shut up legs! Do what I tell you to do!" ~ Jens Voigt

HAZBRO

Post by HAZBRO » 29 Apr 2013 20:22

At the moment, we will not know anything until after the first week, because to win a tour its not just the gc rider that has to be in good shape, the whole team will have to be as well, and organised, without organisation and cooperation in a team their will be failiures, if a few sky riders crash out its game over for wiggo, unless the mountain guys stay in
Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

rdleaper

Post by rdleaper » 02 May 2013 12:22

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/22378440

Definitely no chance for Basso now then! Sounds painful for a cyclist too ;;-)
Agree on your point Harry - Wiggo looked good in 2011 before his fall and broken collar bone, and if guys like Uran and Henao crash out he might be exposed to attacks in the big mountains, especially at Nibali's home Tour. We saw at the Vuelta what a home Tour can do for some of the top contenders.

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 03 May 2013 14:25

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/22386977

After the Giro?

Would be nice, but realistically, no chance...