TDF 2013 (spoiler)

Discussion about professional racing
rdleaper

TDF 2013 (spoiler)

Post by rdleaper » 29 Jun 2013 17:02

Well that didn't exactly go to plan... :shock:

Can't say I've seen this before at the finish:

Moved in the nick of time - but not before everyone thought the finish was at 3k to go (on a bend!), and a massive crash that took down Cav, Sagan and eventually Greipel!

A great moment for Kittel who finished well but he'll be regarded by many as the 4th best sprinter from today, who got lucky.

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 29 Jun 2013 18:19

Dissappointing to an end of TV watching! Commentators too fond of counting their chickens from the start!

rdleaper

Post by rdleaper » 30 Jun 2013 23:02

Yep just a little reminder from the cycling gods as to just how unpredictable Grand Tours can be.

rdleaper

Post by rdleaper » 07 Jul 2013 00:16

Well Froome (with no little help from his team-mates) was a little bit awesome earlier!

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 07 Jul 2013 07:41

Be interested to see what happened to everyone else, dropping all the main contenders like that was remarkable.

rdleaper

Post by rdleaper » 07 Jul 2013 11:25

Ed Moss wrote:Be interested to see what happened to everyone else, dropping all the main contenders like that was remarkable.
Relentless pace from Kennaugh and Porte on lower slopes of Ax-3-Domaines just blew apart the field; I think only Mollema, Ten Dam and Valverde were there when Froome attacked (Quintana was up the road). Porte still went away from the others himself even after the work he'd done at the front. Ten Dam and Mollema were shock 4th and 5th with Valverde third. Quintana looked great on the Pailheres but ended up 8th in group with Contador, Kreuziger and Anton I think. Total carnage!

A textbook stage for Team Sky; Kennaugh was a revelation. Totally buried himself on first 2 km of last climb (after nearly going off the front on previous descent). Brailsford wasn't half right when he said he'd improved his climbing!! Porte was immense too. Cadel suffered more than most and lost 5 minutes plus I think, but not more than Van Garderen who lost over 12 minutes :shock:

Still a long way to go with today arguably tougher - proves though that you can't win the TdF this early but you can certainly lose it!

My money's on a cagier stage today, especially as there's 20-30k of downhill/flat at the end.

rdleaper

Post by rdleaper » 07 Jul 2013 11:46

rdleaper wrote:My money's on a cagier stage today, especially as there's 20-30k of downhill/flat at the end.
OK maybe not!! Looking like Sky pushed too hard yesterday :(

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 12 Jul 2013 17:51

Bet there are a few questions been asked in the Sky camp tonight :shock: Wonder why Froome wasn't helping?

Could be an interesting final week with Albert and Roman doing a 1-2 on Froome, if they have the legs.

rdleaper

Post by rdleaper » 13 Jul 2013 00:31

Certainly will! Be interesting to see if Mollema and Ten Dam have anything to offer when they need to attack too. Saxo looked strong but so did Sky last Saturday...

Les Ladbury

TdeF

Post by Les Ladbury » 13 Jul 2013 07:51

Can't see Froome winning. My money is on Contador. why didn't Froome get up to the break yesterday. Cav saw what was happening and did something about it. Having said that it's easy to say from where I am, in a bar.
Les

laurence_cooley

Re: TdeF

Post by laurence_cooley » 13 Jul 2013 09:01

Les Ladbury wrote:Can't see Froome winning. My money is on Contador. why didn't Froome get up to the break yesterday. Cav saw what was happening and did something about it. Having said that it's easy to say from where I am, in a bar.
Froome seemed to start to try to move across with Cavendish, looked over his shoulder and saw that none of his teammates could follow. If he had it in his legs to make it across alone, that now looks like a pretty big tactical error.
Last edited by laurence_cooley on 13 Jul 2013 12:03, edited 1 time in total.

George

Re: TdeF

Post by George » 13 Jul 2013 11:54

Les Ladbury wrote:Can't see Froome winning. My money is on Contador. why didn't Froome get up to the break yesterday. Cav saw what was happening and did something about it. Having said that it's easy to say from where I am, in a bar.
He certainly looks less than altogether secure, but he's got 2.5 minutes and will probably take a further 1 or 2 minutes in the second TT. I don't think he's going to blow big time and lose 5 minutes on a mountain stage, so the others have got to keep chipping away and pinching a minute here and 30 seconds there, as on Friday. Four minutes is quite a lot to nick back on on that basis, so, although I'm far from sure he'll win, he still looks a more likely winner than any of the others.
laurence_cooley wrote:Froome seemed to start to try to move across with Cavendish, looked over his shoulder and saw that none of his teammates could follow. If he had it in his legs to make it across alone, that now looks like a pretty big tactical errer.
My thoughts exactly.

Tim

Post by Tim » 18 Jul 2013 22:38

That was great viewing. Best stage ever?

Les Ladbury

Post by Les Ladbury » 19 Jul 2013 07:01

Tim wrote:That was great viewing. Best stage ever?
The best stage ever was the 20th stage of the 1964 Tour when Jacques Anquetil and Raymond Poulidor climbed the Puy-de-Dome together.
Les

rdleaper

Post by rdleaper » 19 Jul 2013 22:55

2 great moments, which I can barely remember - right at the start of my (then passing) interest in Le Tour. It's sad that when I look back over the last 20 years or so, I can't help thinking that most of the memories I have of those Tours were probably heavily influenced by doping.
Les Ladbury wrote:Can't see Froome winning. My money is on Contador.
Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing? :wink: So long as he survives one more day, that is...

Les Ladbury

Post by Les Ladbury » 20 Jul 2013 11:38

rdleaper wrote:
2 great moments, which I can barely remember - right at the start of my (then passing) interest in Le Tour. It's sad that when I look back over the last 20 years or so, I can't help thinking that most of the memories I have of those Tours were probably heavily influenced by doping.
Les Ladbury wrote:Can't see Froome winning. My money is on Contador.
Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing? :wink: So long as he survives one more day, that is...
I genuinely thought that Alberto Contador would win based on his past performances in Grands Tours. I would have liked to see him win because I don’t even now understand why he was disqualified from the Tour and Giro. I can only think that the whole thing was another monumental cock-up by the UCI And the WADA. Having seen the unbelievable decisions taken at the daft Olympics, an event which I have absolutely no time at all for, I consider Contador to be a great rider.
With 2 stages, well 1 really I think that Froome will be a worthy winner but a great rider no, not yet. Only time will tell.
Les

Les Ladbury

Post by Les Ladbury » 20 Jul 2013 11:41

Has anyone seen the photograph of Froome in todays Telegraph ?
I consider this to be one of cyclings outstanding pictures.
Les

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 21 Jul 2013 13:27

Les Ladbury wrote:I genuinely thought that Alberto Contador would win based on his past performances in Grands Tours. I would have liked to see him win because I don’t even now understand why he was disqualified from the Tour and Giro......... I consider Contador to be a great rider.....
He doesn't look quite so great as he used to, now he possibly considers red cell replenishment to be a little too risky.

I've enjoyed this tour. Things went my way on the days I was hoping for Portuguese and French stage wins respectively; a couple of good performances from Jens Voigt (personal hero); a new hero in Richie Porte; most impressive climber finished in the polka dot jersey and strongest all-rounder in the strongest team finished in yellow. Just need an exciting finish today to top it all off.
Eat cake before you're hungry

George

Post by George » 21 Jul 2013 15:51

Contador and Valverde have murky pasts and one might argue that neither should still be racing. However, I have the impression that both are reformed characters. And you can't fault either of them for their approach to racing. Without them the Tour would have been a lot less of a spectacle.

rdleaper

Post by rdleaper » 22 Jul 2013 13:18

George wrote:Contador and Valverde have murky pasts and one might argue that neither should still be racing. However, I have the impression that both are reformed characters. And you can't fault either of them for their approach to racing. Without them the Tour would have been a lot less of a spectacle.
True. And credit to Froome for attacking when he could, pretty much throughout the race. No chance he was going to stick to making his gains in the TTs :wink:
Les Ladbury wrote:I genuinely thought that Alberto Contador would win based on his past performances in Grands Tours. I would have liked to see him win because I don’t even now understand why he was disqualified from the Tour and Giro......... I consider Contador to be a great rider.....
Agree with Steve in that he's not as good as he was cetainly 3-6 years ago. (A bad decision to have him in my fantasy team, but thought I should as so many others had Froome and I could get 1 over on them!) Guess it's natural these days that this raises suspicions of past doping (not just clenbuterol a la 2010) but any such loss of form over time can happen to clean athletes too. Definitely a grey area here which I don't want to go to far into!