A fan's view on Mont Zoncolan

Discussion about professional racing
WorcsPhil

A fan's view on Mont Zoncolan

Post by WorcsPhil » 04 Jun 2014 08:52

I know there was an idiot in a World Championship top who went too far, but the attached link shows the beauty of just being a fan of cycling on a tough, tough mountain stage.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/racing/g ... lan-125270

...and Adam Hansen looks a great bloke to share a pint with.

Andy_Craddock

Post by Andy_Craddock » 04 Jun 2014 10:48

Watched this yesterday and thought it was brilliant. Trying to convince my wife now I need a go pro lol

Neil Compton

Post by Neil Compton » 04 Jun 2014 13:27

Most of the fans were fine but watching some of the Giro mountain stages i thought a lot of the people who were running along side the riders were idiots just trying to get themselves on telly.

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 04 Jun 2014 15:39

Neil Compton wrote:Most of the fans were fine but watching some of the Giro mountain stages i thought a lot of the people who were running along side the riders were idiots just trying to get themselves on telly.
See above :wink:

How long before he falls over and gets his stick caught in a riders spokes?
Seems double standards by Cycling Weekly.

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 04 Jun 2014 15:57

Nah. narcissistic twat. Go watch, admire, party, celebrate, have fun, but remember, its about the riders, the race and the course, not about me me me me me me.
Belt up, we're going for a ride

toby

Post by toby » 04 Jun 2014 17:26

slogfester wrote:Nah. narcissistic twat. Go watch, admire, party, celebrate, have fun, but remember, its about the riders, the race and the course, not about me me me me me me.
well said that man!

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 04 Jun 2014 19:40

The fact that fans go get so close to riders and the riders response to this, was one of the things that fascinated me about pro cycle racing in the first place.

Over many years there has been a decline in this on most major tours; increasingly fans are separated from the pros by barriers. This has been in response to the constant criticism of this interaction by the TV commentators and a few of the pros themselves.

I for one will miss seeing the egoistical idiots making fools of themselves and the riders reactions as it was for me part of the sport.

Eventually cycle racing will be held on closed arenas with grandstands for the few who can afford tickets and the rest watching on pay for view TV.

Sky will win everything. :roll:

dweben

Post by dweben » 04 Jun 2014 19:51

Except that one fan on Zoncolan who pushed the chap in 2nd place straight into the rear wheel of the 1st placed chap and made him unclip and stop. The chap threw his arms up in dismay but not 5 minutes later he was spotted again right next to riders getting in the way... I love getting right up close! :P