Chris Froome and Nico Roche

Discussion about professional racing
laurence_cooley

Chris Froome and Nico Roche

Post by laurence_cooley » 11 Nov 2014 09:02

More than just new teammates. Congratulations to the happy couple.

George

Post by George » 11 Nov 2014 19:40

I'm confident that the majority of members of this board would be happy for Froomey regardless of the gender of his spouse.

But it was indeed a curious choice of picture. Presumably they simply hadn't got a wedding photo ... but surely they could have got an agency snap of Froomey and his girlfriend? I mean, she was with him on/beside the podium in 2013, wasn't she?

I've once or twice had a feeling that CyclingNews (based in Aus, aren't they?) were only just managing to suppress some underlying anti-Pom sentiment. So I can't help wondering whether they weren't enjoying a laugh behind the scenes at Froome's expense.

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 11 Nov 2014 19:52

I think Cyclingnews is based in Bath and run by Future Publishing. Perhaps you're thinking of Cyclingtips, George, which is definitely Australian. I suspect the wedding photos have been sold exclusively to a magazine with a bigger budget than any cycling magazine could dream of!

George

Post by George » 11 Nov 2014 20:54

I've never heard of Cyclingtips, Laurence, so there must be some other explanation for my confusion, e.g. stupidity or an inclination to jump to unsubstantiated conclusions.

Yes, I assume that what you say about the photos is indeed the case, but that's why I suggested that they could easily have used a non-wedding photo of the couple. There must be plenty available from news agencies for a nominal fee.

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 11 Nov 2014 21:13

Cyclingtips is worth checking out. They publish "roadtripping" essays illustrated with great (non-wedding) photography that often have me dreaming of going cycling in Japan, the Outback, Norway...

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 18 Nov 2014 07:44

I take it back, George, they do have staff based in Australia: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cycling ... -australia.