SPOILER Omnium

Discussion about professional racing
Tim

SPOILER Omnium

Post by Tim » 16 Aug 2016 07:14

So should Cav have been disqualified?

I think yes, I thought he would have been, but if yes so should Viviani for identical maneuver into the French guy, who just saw him coming and managed to move. So many laps and the type of racing I'm amazed there aren't more crashes

Great race anyway. Cav lost gold in the elimination but then so did the Dane.
Please like and follow Beacon Cycling Academy https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beacon-C ... 6499863667

Les Ladbury

Re: SPOILER Omnium

Post by Les Ladbury » 16 Aug 2016 10:03

Tim wrote:So should Cav have been disqualified?

I think yes, I thought he would have been, but if yes so should Viviani for identical maneuver into the French guy, who just saw him coming and managed to move. So many laps and the type of racing I'm amazed there aren't more crashes

Great race anyway. Cav lost gold in the elimination but then so did the Dane.
Tim, I think that you will find that Cav was slightly in front and above Viviani and as such Viviani should have seen this and moved down the track to avoid the inevitable collision. It was an unfortunate racing incident and was obviously viewed as such by the commissars.

I'm no fan of the Olympics but there has been some great racing overshadowed by the usual utterly appalling coverage by the BBC. I don't include the commentators in that last comment.

Having been out on several stages of the TdeF and a number of regional tours and other races this year, last week-end I thought that I would take in a race in the UK. I looked up events on the BC site and the only one reasonably local was the Steve Taylor memorial R/R.
I found this depressing for two reasons.
1/ I raced with Steve Taylor in the 60s/70s/80s.
2/ The event was cancelled.
Anyhow I'm off to La Vuelta next week.
Les

Tim

Post by Tim » 16 Aug 2016 11:44

Yep, it was the Korean rider he hit, who then brought Viviani down, agree the Korean rider should have anticipated and moved but it was a sudden / hard to avoid change in direction. Definitely you could say undertaking / not following Cavs wheel was the cause. Either way Cav was lucky as it could have ended his own race. Frustrating about the silver, Cav should have won the elimination. Suppose not having a perfect set of career results shows he's human

I'm really looking forward to the Vuelta, jealous of anyone going, it's my favourite grand tour and with Contador and Froome racing it we could see the battle that didn't happen in France. I want to get out their in next few years, where do you recommend? Angliru is top of my wish list to ride/watch at moment.

I've found the BBC coverage ok, thought might be worse! don't know how much is down to poor feed from Brazil that they have no control over, the regular switches between channels during cycling and gymnastics events so you miss action or results is the really annoying thing for me though.
Please like and follow Beacon Cycling Academy https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beacon-C ... 6499863667

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 16 Aug 2016 12:57

Tim wrote:Angliru is top of my wish list to ride/watch at moment.
Great climb - I'd recommend it.

By a sheer coincidence (honest) we'll be in San Sebastian on 2nd September when the Vuelta passes through.