2022 racing plans & goals

Discussion about Beacon member participation in road, track and cyclocross racing

Moderators: laurence_cooley, JessRJ, AdeR, Pedlo Mudguardo, StuartWhite, gmac, Tim

Kyle

2022 racing plans & goals

Post by Kyle » 31 Dec 2021 13:12

The past couple of years have seen limited opportunities for racing and it is perhaps no surprise that the number of Beacon jerseys lining up to race has fallen… it’s only a few years since as many as ten Beacon lined up at local races.

Looking to 2022 and the return to something vaguely resembling normality, the early signs are of a full calendar and the return of longstanding local and national events/series. With this there is plenty of opportunity for racers (whether for the first time or picking it up after a break) to fire up their competitive spirit and represent their club!

So… the purpose of this thread is to coordinate our 2022 racing plans; whether that’s entering the same events, sharing transport or providing encouragement and support in any other way.

It’d be great to hear what your 2022 goals are and about any plans you have, whether fully formed or not…
Last edited by Kyle on 31 Dec 2021 13:30, edited 2 times in total.

Kyle

Re: 2022 road & circuit racing plans

Post by Kyle » 31 Dec 2021 13:28

As it stands I have the following goals for the year:
  • actually having a plan and training in such a way that I 'peak' for a couple of target events (circuit in mid-summer, road in late-summer)
  • completing a number of longer road races (2hrs+) inc. one target event
  • racing alongside club mates

With that in mind my nascent planning includes…

Woolly Mamil (Jan/Feb): a four race series on Saturday mornings at Stourport circuit [BC link to follow].
  • I have yet to settle on which/how many of these I will enter so it’d be good to see what interest there is from others as this will guide my plans.
Birmingham Business Park races: three road races that take place on an established business park circuit on Sundays (so effectively traffic free) in April, August & September.
  • Possible club involvement - watch this space
West Mids Road Racing league: https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/?series_id=260
  • While I have yet to settle on a target road race (I expect this to be an Aug/Sept race) I plan to enter local road races as I build towards this.
SSSCCRRL races: Thursday evening handicapped road races on various courses across Staffs/Shropshire.
  • I really enjoyed my first road racing experience as part of this series last year and the handicapped format keeps things interesting right to the end… certainly worth a go.

Other races further afield that I may enter…

ART races at Abingdon Airfield: multiple series throughout the year.
  • I entered a couple of races here last year - it’s a flat fast airfield course with only three turns and plenty of opportunity to learn how to hide in a bunch - helpful as its exposed and often windy
  • The Winter Series is now open for entries on BC running Saturdays in February
Mallory Park races.
  • I took part in one race here in 2021 and after falling off the back was pulled out after being lapped about half way through. Mission: Complete the distance (also, it’s a pretty cool circuit to race on.)
These will evolve as more events open for entry and I am keen to prioritise opportunities to race with and support club mates… so open to all ideas.

Celia_brown

Re: 2022 racing plans & goals

Post by Celia_brown » 04 Jan 2022 20:25

Hi
I won’t be racing on the road, but will be doing some gravel races if anyone is up for that? The big aim will be the British Champs in September near Thetford.
Also doing the Tour of Cambridge and trying to find a 50m TT that’s not on a dual carriageway!
Cheers
Celia

Hels147

Post by Hels147 » 05 Jan 2022 07:52

Hi
I’m hoping to do the cannock chase mtb winter classic on 27 Feb. I’ll also be doing cx next season.
Cheers
Hels
If you’re all about the destination, take a f#€king flight!

stuart jones

Post by stuart jones » 07 Jan 2022 22:31

Hi All,

Great to see your plans and goals.

The first time this year to focus on competitions, be interesting to see if it is going to work out, and what does.

Woolly Mamil Circuit Race Stourport, hopefully, first two weekends in Feb if it goes ahead due to Covid.

I too am doing the run and ride Cannock chase classic MTB on 27th Feb.

Interested in SSSCCRRL July, round 2/4 on enville course, just because its closer than the others, imagine there will be plenty of climbing!

Interested in giving TT a go and see if there is a fit.

I'm interested in local races, if possible, particularly for those like me who have no racing experience.

Happy racing all. Stuart

Helen

Post by Helen » 08 Jan 2022 13:01

I'm going to try and get to some more MBO events. Not sure they count as races though!

becksdlane

Post by becksdlane » 11 Jan 2022 08:50

I think I’m going to give LMTT a go, Birmingham Business Park Crits and any local Crits I can make.

I’ve entered the Tour of Cambridgeshire RR as well. Also will look to do the Women's WMRRL if that’s going this year.

Kyle

Post by Kyle » 18 Jan 2022 09:00

Great to see so many plans this early in the year... and I look forward to hearing how you get on!

Shame to see that Woolly Mamil isn't going ahead but I guess it means more time to focus on slow, steady miles. Given this I am going to target the Business Park race on April 10th as an early goal... with a few races in the weeks leading up to this. I will share more once I know what these will be.

Roger C

Post by Roger C » 21 Jan 2022 21:53

I’m up for business park race 🤙 and other road racing
Mtb racing - need to put my right foot into this for sure
Cx - see you in the winter
TT - yeh - NO PRESSURE 😬😬😬

So my main issue is signing up for racing, booking the things in advance and everything else, I’m just bad at it.
My world kind of mental with house renovation and such going on, but I’d massively appreciate nudges toward future races, happy to share journeys if helps (got the race van*) so can take two and kit easy, three if helps, snug tho 😘
I am starting to get my tingly feeling back for riding, and Kyles enthusiasm is a breath of fresh air for me
Anyway I’m available via the usual sources, easiest way is via
Instagram @rodgestar - drop me a message or just find me riding around clent if the weather is particularly terrible
👍
I often wonder how fast I’d be if I wasn’t so into food

Ed Moss

Re: 2022 road & circuit racing plans

Post by Ed Moss » 10 Feb 2022 11:08

Kyle wrote:
31 Dec 2021 13:28
As it stands I have the following goals for the year:
  • actually having a plan and training in such a way that I 'peak' for a couple of target events (circuit in mid-summer, road in late-summer)
  • completing a number of longer road races (2hrs+) inc. one target event
  • racing alongside club mates

With that in mind my nascent planning includes…

Woolly Mamil (Jan/Feb): a four race series on Saturday mornings at Stourport circuit [BC link to follow].
  • I have yet to settle on which/how many of these I will enter so it’d be good to see what interest there is from others as this will guide my plans.
Birmingham Business Park races: three road races that take place on an established business park circuit on Sundays (so effectively traffic free) in April, August & September.
  • Possible club involvement - watch this space
West Mids Road Racing league: https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/?series_id=260
  • While I have yet to settle on a target road race (I expect this to be an Aug/Sept race) I plan to enter local road races as I build towards this.
SSSCCRRL races: Thursday evening handicapped road races on various courses across Staffs/Shropshire.
  • I really enjoyed my first road racing experience as part of this series last year and the handicapped format keeps things interesting right to the end… certainly worth a go.

Other races further afield that I may enter…

ART races at Abingdon Airfield: multiple series throughout the year.
  • I entered a couple of races here last year - it’s a flat fast airfield course with only three turns and plenty of opportunity to learn how to hide in a bunch - helpful as its exposed and often windy
  • The Winter Series is now open for entries on BC running Saturdays in February
Mallory Park races.
  • I took part in one race here in 2021 and after falling off the back was pulled out after being lapped about half way through. Mission: Complete the distance (also, it’s a pretty cool circuit to race on.)
These will evolve as more events open for entry and I am keen to prioritise opportunities to race with and support club mates… so open to all ideas.
Hi Kyle, Do they still do the crits at Darley Moor? Great fun if they are still on..I did one where it was 40+mph along the top only to turn into the headwind and you either got blown off the circuit, or head down to hammer it at 5mph :D

Kyle

Post by Kyle » 14 Feb 2022 10:49

Funny you should ask Ed - yes they do, and I have just signed up to kick off the season here on March 5th. There are events now up on BC throughout the year here with both 4th cat only and Masters races being run.

I will start another thread to see if anyone fancies a trip up to Ashbourne next month.