Race Report: Derby Mercury RR (3/4), 17th July

Discussion about Beacon member participation in road, track and cyclocross racing

Moderators: laurence_cooley, JessRJ, AdeR, Pedlo Mudguardo, StuartWhite, gmac, Tim

jonb

Race Report: Derby Mercury RR (3/4), 17th July

Post by jonb » 18 Jul 2022 11:39

I travelled out of region for the Derby Mercury Road Race yesterday, a cat 3/4 held on the Windley circuit. This was a new course for me, and I soon discovered it involved three times up Windley Hill - a roughly mile long climb touching ~12% and averaging ~5%, the rest of the circuit being somewhat “sporting”. Not having a climber’s build, I was a little apprehensive about this, but reassured myself it would turn out to be a “power climb”.

Despite the 9.30am start, the temperature was already getting into mid-to-high twenties as we stood in a lay-by in full sun for the pre-race briefing. It was to be a hot and hard race! I wasn’t feeling my best prior to the start, but after last week’s disappointment, resolved I was not going to lose a wheel. I quickly moved up to position myself with the first 15-20 riders, and worked to stay there or thereabouts for most of the race. No skulking around the back this time! The climb when it came was not as hard as feared - I’d ensure I was in position at the bottom and did just enough to get over without losing ground. If anything, the sections which came after Windley hill were the hardest of the race, a couple more draggy inclines where the pace most definitely stayed on, with hardly any time to recover from the main climb. It took some digging to hold the wheels here!

Despite the relatively short distance, the challenging circuit saw riders constantly getting shelled. Still, having survived the attritional battle, I entered the closing miles in the vanguard of the race, just where I wanted to be to start the final climb. Maybe it was the heat, or maybe I was dehydrated (I definitely was), but by the time we hit the climb my legs had just about had enough, and when the final surge came I didn’t have enough of a response. I did what I could to avoid losing too many places, pedalling squares up the last few metres to reach the line in 18th place.

The race was won by Adam Millington of PB Performance. Results here: https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/event ... -Race-2022

Overall this was a good, well run race on an interesting circuit, one I’d recommend. I’d like to think that on another given day I’d have had a result - perhaps I’ll return next year with better preparation. :)

Kyle

Re: Race Report: Derby Mercury RR (3/4), 17th July

Post by Kyle » 18 Jul 2022 16:47

Excellent result Jon... doubly so given the course and conditions!

What's up next?

jonb

Re: Race Report: Derby Mercury RR (3/4), 17th July

Post by jonb » 19 Jul 2022 08:28

Thanks Kyle. What's up next is a holiday, then... we'll see. :)