Darley Moor race report, June 18th

Discussion about Beacon member participation in road, track and cyclocross racing

Moderators: laurence_cooley, JessRJ, AdeR, Pedlo Mudguardo, StuartWhite, gmac, Tim

Kyle

Darley Moor race report, June 18th

Post by Kyle » 18 Jun 2022 18:00

In sharp contrast to the 30 degree heat of Friday, Darley Moor was cool 13 degrees when Huan and I arrived on Saturday morning and being an old WW2 airfield “situated on a high plateau” we could be sure that we’d feel every bit of the 15kph breeze; to add to that it wouldn’t remain dry for long. Fortunately, good coffee was on hand so we had no excuses.

First up was the 4th cat race and Huan in his first ever crit/road race. A field of about 25 set off on dry tarmac. Huan tells me he was hanging on for dear life for the first two or three laps but things soon settled down.

After doing my best to get some pictures I went off to finish dressing myself and warm up. When I returned with a couple laps to go there was Huan mid-pack and looking as cool as a cucumber… although by this point, very wet! Soon, the bell was rung and 3 minutes later he crossed the line with the bunch in a hugely respectable 17th place. Not bad for a first outing!

Huan is the third debut Beacon road racer of the year (that I am aware of - please let me know if I have missed you or anyone else)... who’s next?

Shortly after, I set off in a Masters field of 15. A civilised start allowed for some joking about how nice it was not to have Juniors going for impossible gaps and dive-bombing corners. But it wasn’t long before Inflite - who were there with a team of four - started to make things interesting. One would go, only for the next to attack as the catch was made - textbook stuff really. This continued throughout the race and although I made a couple of half attempts to go away in a small group nothing stuck, and alongside a few others made sure nothing got too far up the road.

Entering the final lap all together, I was feeling good but allowed myself to round the final corner a little too far back, and with a set of chicanes acting as a pinch point 100 metres from the finish line I had to settle for 9th.

I have a few races - both road and circuit - planned over the next month or so; if anyone fancies joining me the company would be welcome. Just drop me a message.

hd264

Re: Darley Moor race report, June 18th

Post by hd264 » 18 Jun 2022 22:21

Thanks for the write up Kyle

I just wanted to say that this is the most fun I have had in a very long time!

If I can do it anyone can! <@>

George

Post by George » 19 Jun 2022 21:48

Excellent! Well done, both.

jonb

Post by jonb » 21 Jun 2022 08:35

Good work guys. Grotty weather on Saturday, well done for racing in that, all good experience.

I've put in an entry for the Paramount RR on 3rd July (https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/event ... -Road-Race). Anyone else fancy it?

Kyle

Post by Kyle » 21 Jun 2022 10:53

I have also entered the Paramount RR Jon... will catch up when we're out later today.