ssscccrrrllllll..or whatever

Discussion about Beacon member participation in road, track and cyclocross racing

Moderators: laurence_cooley, JessRJ, AdeR, gmac, Tim, Pedlo Mudguardo, StuartWhite

sbmungo

ssscccrrrllllll..or whatever

Post by sbmungo » 01 Apr 2014 10:34

Is anyone doing any of these races this year? May try and to do some as there seems to be serious shortage of road races within the west midlands this year. This is perhaps a good alternative to circuit
crits.

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 01 Apr 2014 12:19

Gary Mac and me are both entering the league. Actually, I've been meaning to post something about this since we went to the league's annual meeting in January as the Beacon representatives.

For those that don't know, the snappily titled South Staffordshire and Shropshire Cycling Clubs Road Race League is a series of handicapped road races held on Thursdays throughout the summer. Entry to the league is restricted to members of clubs that agree to organise one of the rounds. Last year, we put on a crit at Stourport as our contribution to the league. This year, we've agreed to co-organise (with Clee Cycles) a round at Enville in July, so we'll be asking people to help marshall nearer the time.

Full details are at http://www.sssccrrl.co.uk/ for anyone who is interested. You can either enter the whole series or on the line on the night if there is space. I've not raced any of the events before, but they seem to have a reputation for being quite friendly as far as road races go.

Simon Dighton

Post by Simon Dighton » 01 Apr 2014 20:24

Sam (Dighton) also entered so should be doing a few.
Best
Simon

rdleaper

Post by rdleaper » 08 Apr 2014 12:54

I marshalled one at Penkridge last year and had a barbecue with the competitors and other marshals afterwards, so can vouch for the friendly bit.

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 02 May 2014 07:18

The first round of this was last night. Really good fun and I can't imagine a better introduction to road racing, if anyone is keen to try. While it's too late to enter the whole series, places are available on the night providing that fewer than 80 riders turn up (I guess there'll always be some riders registered for the whole series who can't make every week, or don't show up because of weather, etc.). Details at http://www.sssccrrl.co.uk/. Last night, Beacon had Gary Mac, Steve Croggon, Gareth Scott and me out, with Sam Dighton racing for Halesowen. It would be good to see a few others join us over the course of the summer.