CX Round 2

Discussion about Beacon member participation in road, track and cyclocross racing

Moderators: laurence_cooley, JessRJ, AdeR, Pedlo Mudguardo, StuartWhite, gmac, Tim

Simon Dighton

CX Round 2

Post by Simon Dighton » 15 Sep 2014 20:59

Round 2 was held at Henley on a fast mainly grass course with a couple of banks and some dusty corners. Plenty of sprinting out of corners and with the rain not having saturated the courses no mud and not much cleaning of bikes.

results were

James Tate

Simon Dighton

CX Round 2

Post by Simon Dighton » 15 Sep 2014 21:03

Round 2 was held at Henley on a fast mainly grass course with a couple of banks and some dusty corners. Plenty of sprinting out of corners. With the rain not having saturated the courses no mud and not much cleaning of bikes.

Results are

James Tate 30th V40
Steve Croggan 7th V50 (really good ride and despite wiping out a couple of times)
Simon Dighton 10th V50

Old boys

Gareth Scott 3rd V40
Oliver Dighton 1st U16

Great fun and next week is a very different type of course in the woods and more fun (if possible) at Redditch and co hosted by Beacon. MTB's are good at this course as well if cx bike not available.

George

Post by George » 16 Sep 2014 20:13

Well done, especially Olly.

Tim

Post by Tim » 16 Sep 2014 20:38

Question for Simon or Greg.

What's with all of the screaming parents and kids riding round in floods of tears?!?

Was discussing it with a work colleague today who's son, a member of Solihull, did his first cx race at Henley in under14s and she was shocked at the parents behaviour, 'the parents of the purple kids were especially bad' she said! I saw bit of same in Shrewsbury and also saw kids riding round heartbroken in under 10s at Shrewsbury and at west mids road race at Stourport earlier in the year.

Surely the commissaires or club coaches should stop them riding in such a state?

I know 'it never gets easier you just get faster' and I'm all for toughening 'em up but it can't be good long-term for the kid or their relationship with the sport can it?

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 16 Sep 2014 21:17

Strange. I thought that one of the best things about the Redditch round we marshalled last year was the lack of that kind of thing.

Grogz

Post by Grogz » 17 Sep 2014 12:00

I didn't see the behaviour you did, Tim. I'm sure the commissaires would have stepped in if they'd been aware: Debbie Salkeld is particularly sharp on this kind of behaviour. I know of one parent who was banned from WMCCL races for bullying his kids. Sad.

Tim

Post by Tim » 17 Sep 2014 17:06

That's what I thought Greg. To be fair overall I've been amazed at the atmosphere, organisation and number of participants at these events. Out of 100 or 200 kids there's going to be one or two over excited parents. Ive found myself having to try hard not to sound like a pushy parent with Joseph!

One Dad at Shrewsbury was screaming at a 5year old girl during a practice lap "either shut up your whining and race or we can go home"! and another parent who his club from the side shouted at him to "chillax"!

For me it was more the kids crying whilst riding that I found a bit disturbing. Seeing it once I just thought they were hurt after a crash but seeing 2 in 2 races and then my work colleague telling me about seeing the same on Sunday made me think it was more tears from pressure/not winning? I just thought it was interesting from both a parental and coaching point of view.

Not sure if we will make it but anyone marshalling on Sunday that sees me screeming at Joseph please feel free to tell me to shut up!

Simon Dighton

Post by Simon Dighton » 17 Sep 2014 22:45

Kate told me about one girl who was getting a lot of vocals from the side but did not see myself. Have always thought this was the exception rather than the rule at CX - perhaps the odd parent but generally always seems a very friendly way to race and overwhelming atmosphere is supportive. Crowd whilst encouraging own club's riders not too partisan to cheer others on as well. All my boys have raced the cross and never had issues. Actually think it is the best environment to introduce children to bike racing if that is what they want to do.