West Midlands Youth Circuit League - Redditch round at TG

Discussion about Beacon member participation in road, track and cyclocross racing

Moderators: laurence_cooley, JessRJ, AdeR, Pedlo Mudguardo, StuartWhite, gmac, Tim

Tim

West Midlands Youth Circuit League - Redditch round at TG

Post by Tim » 27 Jun 2015 17:10

Big well done to Ciara for taking part in her first race today at Tudor Grange in Solihull. She showed great technique and huge amounts of effort and determination. It was a tough challenge considering she was the youngest in the race and the only one without gears but she did great and it will only get easier as she gets a bit more experienced and moves onto a different bike with gears in the future. A favourite for the Beacon Junior and Youth Road Race Champion if she continues to develop at this rate!

We look forward to seeing more Academy members take part in these races and the West Midlands CX series in the coming years.

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 27 Jun 2015 22:11

Spot on Tim. Her spirit and determination were an example to us old folks. And her jersey looked great amongst the bland colours of the others. 8)

PatBoySlim

Post by PatBoySlim » 28 Jun 2015 19:36

I've already been given a shopping list ! Bike, clipless pedals, I've already got her a garmin (off her big sister) and she's claimed my Oakley sunglasses
Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard

PatBoySlim

Post by PatBoySlim » 28 Jun 2015 20:57

They've just posted the results,
http://www.mylaps.com/en/classification/3556371

I didn't think that bike could go 15mph !
No gears and is really heavy with big tyres, how fast is she going to be on a proper racing bike ? Oh and she's 8 !
Last edited by PatBoySlim on 01 Jul 2015 21:56, edited 1 time in total.

Tim

Post by Tim » 28 Jun 2015 22:09

Laurence, as she finished 8th can you confirm is Ciara now leading the race to win the Junior Road Race Champion Steve Jones Trophy?! Or do BC only award points if there were ten entrants? Think she will get points for the West Midlands league but don't know if they count as "BC points"?

"The junior member who,
during the course of the
year, has the highest
number of road race points
from his/her 12 best
results. Points are
calculated from the rider’s
finishing position 1st to
10th normally (or 15th
where race classification
gives bc points to 15 th
place) . Points are then
awarded accordingly, so, 15
points for a 1st place
descending to 1 point for a
15th place
Anyone who thinks he or
she may be eligible for this
award must give details of
his/her performance to the
Road Race Secretary."

There's one more round of the WM youth circuit league at Stourport in July. Plus a youth race at Curborough coming up too if anyone fancies that.

PatBoySlim

Post by PatBoySlim » 29 Jun 2015 13:26

In Youth Racing BC points are only awarded to the First 3 riders

Tim

Post by Tim » 29 Jun 2015 14:23

Ah ok. Will clarify with Laurence and the committee, think we would use the league points system if no BC are awarded but TBC. we have a road and cx junior / youth trophy so would be good to make use of them.

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 29 Jun 2015 15:53

I'm not sure how "junior" is defined for the purposes of the trophy. The BC definition is quite narrow (17-18 I think - everyone under that is classified as a youth), but it may be that the club just uses it to refer to anyone under 18. If, on the other hand, we do use the BC definition, perhaps we should change the rules of the trophy so that it can be awarded to a junior or youth. I'll raise this at the next committee meeting.

Tim

Post by Tim » 29 Jun 2015 19:11

Sorry probably me with crossed wires, thought we had said the "junior" road and cx trophies were going to be opened up to any age junior or youth to allow Academy members the opportunity to win it but yep if we can clarify and the scoring.

Cheers