Friday Night Track League 10th July

Discussion about Beacon member participation in road, track and cyclocross racing

Moderators: laurence_cooley, JessRJ, AdeR, Pedlo Mudguardo, StuartWhite, gmac, Tim

AdeR

Friday Night Track League 10th July

Post by AdeR » 11 Jul 2015 10:13

Fourth dry Friday night on the bounce. Some good racing with Steve going really well - I didn't have a lot in the tank this week. I'll post more details. However totally agree with Steve's comments last week about it being a good night for spectators. You also get to sample Simon's cooking!

Tim

Post by Tim » 11 Jul 2015 11:40

For my benefit and the benefit of others, what is needed to have a go at this?
Track bike? Previous track experience? Accreditation? Are there youth/junior races? What bikes do they need? Women's?

Cheers!

AdeR

Post by AdeR » 13 Jul 2015 18:12

Hi Tim,
http://www.halesowencycling.net/#!fntl/c2431 has the details. I think they have some track bikes available for hire. They say 'Registration with the league is available for both individuals and clubs, priced £5 and £35 respectively. For those with no fixed wheel racing experience, accreditation by our coaches is needed to ensure you can compete safely; details of accreditation sessions will be confirmed soon. If you have ridden track league before or are accredited elsewhere, just come and race.' Youth/Children's racing is split into freewheelers (younger) and Youth 1 2 (older) on fixed wheel. There's no women only racing but one race per night is 'vets/ladies' and this goes to make up the 'vets/ladies' league.
All the best,
Ade

Tim

Post by Tim » 20 Jul 2015 22:20

Thanks that's all really useful. Let me know if you see accreditation details, no dates on website yet, probably more for next year and the following with the Academy children. Can't see any info on what age the freewheelers are and what age they move to fixed. The Friday night format looks good though whatever age you are!

AdeR

accreditation

Post by AdeR » 31 Jul 2015 23:37

Hi Tim,
I'm heading to derby next w'end to get accrediation there. If halesowen aren't running sessions you could try there. then you'd have 'UK Track accredited' on your Licence. see http://www.derbyarena.uk.com/cycling/accreditation/
Youth 1 are predominantly U14 and U16 riders
Youth 2 are predominantly U12 riders
Frewheelers younger than U12.
All the best,
Ade

Tim

Post by Tim » 01 Aug 2015 15:31

Cheers, that's good to know too

Simon Dighton

Post by Simon Dighton » 05 Aug 2015 17:54

Tim

I am down there most Fridays with the boys so can find out more if you need - not sure the freewheelers need to be accredited (ie the very young ones)

Best
Simonn

Tim

Post by Tim » 09 Aug 2015 21:35

Thanks Simon,

Basically next year we will have a few 8 and 9 year olds who may be interested, so questions are do they need accreditation and what bikes for that age do they race on? I might try to pop down with my lad to watch this year and so will be able to find out more by doing that.

Cheers

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 09 Aug 2015 22:07

Gary, Chris, Kerri and me went to watch a few weeks ago, Tim. It was a good evening. It looked like the freewheelers could ride anything with a freehub.