Friday Night Track League 4th September

Discussion about Beacon member participation in road, track and cyclocross racing

Moderators: laurence_cooley, JessRJ, AdeR, Pedlo Mudguardo, StuartWhite, gmac, Tim

AdeR

Friday Night Track League 4th September

Post by AdeR » 05 Sep 2015 14:34

Last race of the season and the Beacon was represented by Phil Farley and myself with Dave Farley and Simon Dighton in attendance. Nice to have some support on night that certainly had an end of season feel about it. I really must put on record my appreciation for Phil's entirely selfless efforts. I still had an outside chance of clinching the overall 1st B spot going in to the evening's racing - it wasn't to be. Phil however did everything possible for me - launching attack after attack so that the assembled HA&CC riders would have to chase them down. I did not have enough in my legs to take full advantage, but Phil's stringing out of the line of riders helped me to cement my overall 2nd in the league.

1st race of the night was a devil. This was a deserved win for Matt Harris of HA&CC who took the front from me early on in strong winds. I hung on for 4th. Warming down on the rollers afterwards my legs really started to cramp up. This was when I started to realise it wasn't going to be the strongest of nights. I really could have done with some embrocation in the kit bag.

In the Women/Vets points race I launched an attack that split the field. Martin Pockett , Will Fotheringham and I think Harvey Jackson all came with me. I'm absolutely convinced that the gap created would have stuck. Unfortunately they weren't up for it - following me up to the top of the banking. That was me stuffed for the rest of the race.

The 2 lap scratch race saw Phil's most blistering attack with a 1/2 lap to go - absolutely burying it then swinging up. It was very funny listening to people afterwards. They either were utterly bemused (those who hadn't seen the table) or spotted exactly the way Phil was working.

In the final 15 lap race (made a change having Bs and As racing separately) Phil again attacked. Nothing succeeded in getting away with riders closely watching others close to them in the league. I picked up a solitary point for my 5th place in the final sprint.

Not the best of nights but I'm pleased to have secured my best finish in the league since 2011. Its great to be riding track league with Phil and Steve. I think we've only started to work out what can be achieved. It would be great to see more red white and green shirts (maybe kids too?) in 2016.

Phil The Furious

Post by Phil The Furious » 05 Sep 2015 18:23

First of all congratulations on your second place, you have ridden well throughout the season and deserve the success!

You're very welcome for the support, always good when you have club mates to ride with!

I've really enjoyed racing again this year after several years away and already looking forward to a full season of racing next year!

Ps it was Mark Farley my brother and not Dave Farley my dad who came down to support.

George

Post by George » 05 Sep 2015 23:20

Well done, both of you. Adrian, I can imagine that finishing second is a bit frustrating for you (so near and yet so far, as it were), but to us onlookers, it's pretty darn good.

Tim

Post by Tim » 06 Sep 2015 20:00

Sounds great well done both. There's a few looking into/doing accreditation at Derby so would be good if some did this next year. Will certainly promote with Academy members next year as I'm sure some of them would love this.

AdeR

Post by AdeR » 07 Sep 2015 08:12

That's great news Tim - let me know if I can help in any way.

Tim

Post by Tim » 07 Sep 2015 09:23

http://trackcyclingnews.com/halesowentrackleague.html

This gives a good overview, not sure of when this article was posted though.

Good to see there's a "non domestic" trophy which Redditch have won, we need to change that :D

Only thing Im still not clear on is if we have any 8-11 year olds next year who want to race in the freewheelers category, I think they need accreditation and it says you can get that at the training sessions and also on their website "accreditation sessions will be arranged soon", not sure if they happened this year, but are they for Halesowen members only? Also do freewheelers need accreditation? it suggests not on part of their website. So if you or Simon know best way to get anyone accredited who is interested next year then let me know or I can contact them nearer the time. I would only expect 2 or 3 at the most that may be interested for next year but hopefully more over the next 5 years.

Thanks

AdeR

Post by AdeR » 06 Oct 2015 14:14

I'll see what I can find out. All the best. A

AdeR

fntl update

Post by AdeR » 06 Oct 2015 16:55

I've got some news from HA&CC 'Normally for Freewheelers I don't think they need accreditiation. Seniors yes. We are probably going to have a club registration system next year to try & get more riders from other clubs in, I'll keep you posted on that. Also going to try + set up fixed wheel accred sessions earlier than usual. Should be better as we won't have the repairs we had this year.' I'll keep you posted.