Cyclo Cross

Discussion about Beacon member participation in road, track and cyclocross racing

Moderators: laurence_cooley, JessRJ, AdeR, Pedlo Mudguardo, StuartWhite, gmac, Tim

Simon Dighton

Cyclo Cross

Post by Simon Dighton » 03 Feb 2016 20:02

& sadly ends the West Mids Cyclo cross league for another year (although the summer cross will kick off in June / July). It has been a great year with 14 races and the best ten counting towards the league. Conditions have been wildly varying starting the season dry and firm but December got very very muddy and technical for yours truly but the landings are soft. Over all the events something like 600 riders have taken part and the West Mids has been particularly strong especially in the juniors where the National U14's and U16's were dominated by local riders.

The racing has been great fun - definitely the friendliest way to race and really supportive crowd. A great way also of introducing the youngsters to racing - as they get older you can tell watching the crit and road races those that have raced cross as bike handling skills are better, and a really supportive environment in which to race. You hear nothing but encouragement no matter where one is in the race.

I think there were 7 of us who raced this year but apologies if I have missed anyone. Jessica raced in the last race of the season and stormed round coming 3rd in the senior females - great racing and by the looks of it much enjoyed. Jess raced at Baggeridge and hopefully back for more next season (by the way one can race on mountain bikes - not normally as quick, depending on course but still ok and not out of place).

In the V40 both Adrian Ravenscroft and James Tate both graced several races whilst in the V50 Greg Thompson was seen either racing or commissairing and Steve Croggon rode regulally with gnarly courses his speciality. My personal highlights were getting a top 20 in the Regional Championships (which covers both East and West Midlands) and 8th in the final race of the season - my first ever top 10. The winner was the current world V50 champion and this year have also been in the same race as the world V55 and world V70 champions - who are always generous with their comments and advice.

Final placings and points

V40 Adrian Ravenscroft 95th with 98 points
James Tate 102nd with 59 points

V50 Simon Dighton 18th with 656 points
Steve Croggon 35th with 483 points
Greg Thompson 69th with 261 points

Definitely recommend for next season
Simon

Tim

Post by Tim » 03 Feb 2016 20:53

Great write up! Well done all.

I hope to see one or two juniors taking part in the summer cx and this next autumn.

I'm feeling the urge to get another bike!
Please like and follow Beacon Cycling Academy https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beacon-C ... 6499863667

Pedlo Mudguardo

Post by Pedlo Mudguardo » 03 Feb 2016 21:39

Great write up Simon, I couldn't agree more. I rode two of the races at Fillongley and Pype Hayes but was too late to sign up for the league itself though next year I intend to give it my best shot. Coming 9th in the Vet45 at Pype Hayes has really encouraged me being only my second ever 'cross. It's such a great test on so many levels like a 60 minute TT off road ..... Very tough physically and technically but massive fun in a crazy way.

Entered the Takeroo Cannock round and snapped my rear mech in half whilst warming up that wasn't as much fun .....

Must admit I've become slightly obsessed .

Well done for riding a great season Simon and in particular it was fantastic to see you compete at the Cycle Show event !

dweben

Post by dweben » 03 Feb 2016 23:45

Fancy some mtb training sessions over Cannock Nic? I'll give you a good thrashing! ;)

jdtate101

Post by jdtate101 » 04 Feb 2016 05:56

Didn't do as many rounds as I'd have liked to (only two) but it wsa fun. will aim to do more next yr.

Pedlo Mudguardo

West Midlands Cyclo Cross League 2016-17.

Post by Pedlo Mudguardo » 29 Jun 2016 21:44

Entry for the 2016-17 Cyclocross league appears to be open, go for it folks it's superb.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/club/ ... ub_id=3727

Tim

Post by Tim » 30 Jun 2016 09:16

Anyone willing to put a few words down on paper as a blog for the hub ub site on why it's superb, how to approach it, what kit you need, what to expect on the day etc?

I'm thinking if a parent of a kid who's done it could do one, Simon? :D This I can then share with all the Academy parents who (like me a few years back) have never heard of it!

And an adult who's got into it, James or Nic? To try and get the roadies like me to give it a go. So we don’t turn up on 23s!

Anyone else never done it who might this year? Jess, Stu, Matt, Robin, Toby, Lawrence?????? I might give one or two a go if can get a bike sorted but my kids play football most Sundays which makes it difficult.
Please like and follow Beacon Cycling Academy https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beacon-C ... 6499863667