Curborough

Discussion about Beacon member participation in road, track and cyclocross racing

Moderators: laurence_cooley, JessRJ, AdeR, Pedlo Mudguardo, StuartWhite, gmac, Tim

Tim

Curborough

Post by Tim » 15 Jul 2016 15:34

Stu gets second
https://www.velouk.net/2016/07/14/resul ... h-races-3/

Laurence do we have a British Cycling v LVRC points scoring understanding yet? Can you produce a live feed showing the head to head battle of Stuart v Dave for The Beacon Road Race Trophy? Sure Dimension Data would support :D
Please like and follow Beacon Cycling Academy https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beacon-C ... 6499863667

laurence_cooley

Re: Curborough

Post by laurence_cooley » 15 Jul 2016 19:56

Tim wrote:Laurence do we have a British Cycling v LVRC points scoring understanding yet?
The rules state that the trophy goes to: "The senior member who, during the course of the year, has the highest number of road race points from his/her 12 best results. Points are calculated from the rider's finishing position 1st to 10th normally (or 15th where race classification gives BC points to 15th place). Points are then awarded accordingly, so, 15 points for a 1st place descending to 1 point for a 15th place. Results from British Cycling or LVRC races count. Consideration would be given to other recognised races i.e. if the rider had raced abroad".

What I'm not sure about is whether that should be interpreted to mean that we assign points according to that rule ourselves, or we use BC or LVRC's assignment of points.

George

Re: Curborough

Post by George » 15 Jul 2016 22:03

laurence_cooley wrote:What I'm not sure about is whether that should be interpreted to mean that we assign points according to that rule ourselves, or we use BC or LVRC's assignment of points.
The rule as written is clearly ambiguous. However, only one answer to your question makes any sense: if BC and LVRC award points in different ways, option 1 is the only fair approach. (If BC and LVRC award points in the same way, it makes no difference.)

Yosser

Post by Yosser » 15 Jul 2016 22:52

This may not clear things up but from what I remember the points awarded were nothing to do with the points system that the BCF (as it was) awarded, as they only went down to 6th place at that time (and you got your licence signed). The club just awarded 10 for 1st place down to 1 for 10th etc. Most points at the end of the season won the trophy.

So many things diff now, the LVRC wasn't created until 1986 or thereabouts, way after I had finished racing. BC points system was diff then, there weren't any 4th cats, no LVRC etc.

The whole idea was that it was a sort of handicap award I think. Everyone raced on their own level so poor old Steve Jones getting 6th in a Star Trophy event was worth 1 point less than someone getting 5th in a 3rd cat event. I'm sure that some of my contemporaries who do have a memory worth talking about, can add their thoughts, Tony, Les, Nick?

That may have been changed in the intervening years. Whatever you do is fine by me, just go with the spirit of the award as it is currently intended.

Just realised, the LVRC don't have a points system, You just race against your age cat, no promotion etc. So I assume that whoever amended the Beacon system to incorporate other grades of racing worked on the original basis of equality of placing, not built in points systems of the leagues / federations competed in.

Over to you on the committee...

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 16 Jul 2016 11:01

Well, now I understand why I couldn't find information on the LVRC points system online! Thanks, Dave.

StuartWhite

Post by StuartWhite » 19 Jul 2016 10:16

I think if you look at Dave's results when compared to my own, it's a fair way more impressive when listing positions.
I have a scattering, with one 2nd being my highest. In addition, should I end up with a 2nd Cat licence in the coming weeks, I can guarantee the 'results well' will quickly dry up.

My name is already on the trophy (sorry, I'm not sure if Dave's is as well) and I've pretty much replicated what I did that year. Dave has come out blazing and is mopping up, I think his achievement should be rewarded as such.

All of that said, we can have this same conversation in October, it's only July, let's not wish the summer away just yet ;)
Cheers,

Stu

It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Strava - http://www.strava.com/athletes/white_stuart
Facebook - Barry Fight - www.facebook.com/barry.fight
Email - Stulottie@gmail.com
Text/Whatsapp - 07929 612359