what are you planning?

Discussion about Beacon member participation in road, track and cyclocross racing

Moderators: laurence_cooley, JessRJ, AdeR, Pedlo Mudguardo, StuartWhite, gmac, Tim

GavPass

what are you planning?

Post by GavPass » 12 Dec 2016 15:41

It would be good to get the conversation started about types of races people are thinking of doing in 2017 (specifically road and track).... hopefully we'll get an idea of what individual targets are, and how we can help each other out etc.

The race calendar is slowly emerging and I'm starting to think about which races i'd like to peak for.... hopefull you are too...

as a starter...

I'm aiming to start racing mid to late March, with the Uni stage race as my first one (assuming its about the same time). I'm going to focus efforts on crit races and throw in a few shorter road races (very max about 50miles). Weeks when I dont have anything else on then it's down to Halesowen for track league.

over to you...

StuartWhite

Post by StuartWhite » 12 Dec 2016 17:17

My overall season goal is to hold Cat 2 - mainly because I think I'll actually have some of you to race with the following season.

To kick that off:
I'll be hitting up the Wooly Mamil series as I like that to indicate how much work I need to do.

As with Gav though, road race and crits will start around March.

Last year I tried to enter as many of the west mids 2, 3 4's as possible. These are road races that tend to distance at around 70 miles, tough but good for those of you with ambition to move up to Category 2.

In addition, although I won't be able to race, I'm going to try and get to as many of the 3 and 4 cat races as possible next year by way of a supporting role - give me your gilet on the start line, time checks, take pictures of you winning etc so keep your proposed dates public.
Cheers,

Stu

It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Strava - http://www.strava.com/athletes/white_stuart
Facebook - Barry Fight - www.facebook.com/barry.fight
Email - Stulottie@gmail.com
Text/Whatsapp - 07929 612359

StuartWhite

Post by StuartWhite » 12 Dec 2016 17:24

P.S.

Last year, Tom Kirk did a long weekend away visiting some Belgian and French races over a long weekend, he left it a little late to attract major interest, but if you fancy, it's something we can look at 2017.
Beacon RCC Continental Race Team

Couple of races followed by a couple of beers, what more could you want?
Cheers,

Stu

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 12 Dec 2016 20:03

Good idea. After a couple of years of only really doing the road-race league, I want to do some races that I can get points in again and finally get my 3rd-cat licence, so that will probably mean plenty of crits at Stourport. I might look to do the UoB stage race and will probably also do some 3/4 Sunday road races.

While I think of it, some of us really should enter this 3/4 stage race one year: https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/event ... Stage-Race. I think Ollie Hayward told me about it, and he said it was good.

GavPass

Post by GavPass » 12 Dec 2016 22:35

Looks like a good race Laurence... imagine it's a tough one! Hit us up with some 2/3's dates Stu and I can come help you out. I'm cheap!

If the Tudor grange races are on I'll do them too and wouldn't mind a couple of curborough crits, even though the course is a little scrappy.

Be good to get us over to Shrewsbury too, we can all pile in and ride the course there. I've never raced stourport but it sounds a similar set up

dweben

Post by dweben » 14 Dec 2016 16:41

Let me know what events you're planning Laurence. I was pondering giving road racing a go again next year. Not a big fan of the stourport type races but sssrrrcclclslrlrslslsllll races are ok

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 14 Dec 2016 18:05

Here's one for you to consider
http://greatormeroadrace.co.uk/
Spectacular race. Sadly didn't happen last year. Be good to see some Beacon entrants.

Cleggy

Post by Cleggy » 15 Dec 2016 14:29

Not currently planning on doing Wooly Mamils, been scared off them! Will start racing March, UoB Stage race likely to be first one. Would definitely be up for racing West Mids RRL with you Stu, good experience regardless of where I come. Will try and fit as much racing in as I can over in Leicester. Got some mates (mix of 2nd and 3rd Cat) who plan on doing East Mids RRL so will get on those with them. They've said they're good races so if any of you fancy them give me a shout, there are friendlies to work with! Aiming for 2nd Cat before exams in June then Halesowen track league as much as possible too.

dannewns

Post by dannewns » 15 Dec 2016 15:16

I was planning to try my first races this year. I have signed up for the first wooly Mamil race but after just reading cleggys commit im a little scared now as it will be my first time.

im hoping to complete a couple of sprint triathlons as well throughout the year, apart from that its just more riding for me.

is the Wolly Mamil series that bad? im guessing im going to be dropped straight away and spend the rest of the race on my own at the back trying my best to just get to the line.

StuartWhite

Post by StuartWhite » 15 Dec 2016 15:43

Dan,

If you want to race, Stourport is as good a place to start as any.
I get a little frustrated with the Stourport 'crash fest' labelling.
Either you like the circuit or you don't - don't scare everybody else away from it because you've had a bad experience there - it's one of the best facilities we have locally and will teach you technical cornering as well as dynamic pack movement.

I've crashed twice in crit races over the last 3 years, once at Shrewsbury circuit and once in Shrewsbury city centre crit. One was a broadside collision with an airborne rider (he tried to pedal out of the corner too soon struck the floor and bucked in front of me) the other was my own fault for pushing on too hard in a corner and losing my front wheel. Both arguably could have been avoided, neither were the courses fault.

In Cat 4 only races, it's the other riders - at any circuit - that you need to take note of. From the off keep an eye out for those who do and don't hold their racing line, anybody a little trigger happy on the brakes and ignore the odd fella mouthing off thinking they know it all.

The first one will feel a bit hairy because you're riding fast in close proximity to others, there's nothing quite like it, but the more you do, the better you'll get.

My advice between now and then would be to try and get on the fast group rides like on Saturday and Wednesday, get used to riding hard and close.

This I think is my cue to get on and sort out the fast group ride but I'll start another thread for that in the forum.
Cheers,

Stu

John

Post by John » 15 Dec 2016 17:00

I'm aiming to start Late Feb/Early March and get some points in some road races. Ideally I want me second cat before I bugger off and become a dirty tester chasing club records.

IanT

Post by IanT » 15 Dec 2016 19:09

I'm going to focus on TT's next year again, interspersed with some track action wherever possible (once I manage to get accredited) which likely means the Halesowen Friday night league.

Will definitely limit my crit/road involvement to marshalling duties - it's the only way I won't quickly run out of bottle and talent!

Ian

Tim

Post by Tim » 15 Dec 2016 19:13

Captain White has spoken! listen to him Dan and do all Woolly Mamils, recommend doing 3 or 4 in a row even if you go straight out back in first, you will soon get up to speed that way. I've done 20-30 at Stourport and Tudor Grange and others and never crashed but then half I was out back! Only guy I remember nearly taking me out at Stourport was a certain Matt Clegg! :D
Please like and follow Beacon Cycling Academy https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beacon-C ... 6499863667

Tim

Post by Tim » 15 Dec 2016 21:01

Personally targeting cyclocross at end of January (part of my birthday celebrations everyone is invited), Friday night track league at Halesowen May to September (might only do one race and rethink plans though!), our track champs, then in terms of road or crits possibly going to be minimal but Birmingham Uni two day I would like to do again and do justice this time, Stourport Tuesday nights and any at Tudor Grange and Birmingham business Park would appeal. Possibly if my eldest stops playing football next year Sundays in the autumn could be devoted to cross! Also targeting some tough holiday rides in Tenerife and Andalusia and the Velo Birmingham! And almost forgot most importantly The (new) Little Mountain Time Trial. Everyone in this thread must do!
Please like and follow Beacon Cycling Academy https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beacon-C ... 6499863667

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 15 Dec 2016 22:17

Can't see why Stourport is any more or less dangerous than any other circuit.
The Mammil is hard if you are coming to them with little or no racing in your legs since summer. Many of the riders will have spent the last few months racing CX every weekend and coached sessions at Stourport, Tudor Grange Halesowen etc at least a couple of nights a week (I have coached some of them which may slow them down a bit) They will be fit and fast round the corners. If you aren't fit and aren't fast round the corners you will get your legs ripped apart. This has to happen sooner or later so just do it. Spending your life training and never racing because you may get blown off the back is not the way to live your life.

So go racing, it's great and it doesn't matter where you finish you will be a racer and thats something worthwhile.

GavPass

Post by GavPass » 16 Dec 2016 09:49

If the Birmingham business park races are back on then this would be a really good team event. It's a big wide course and would be perfect for a team effort, working for someone that has decent kick and can be lead out for a sprint.

A break has also stayed away at two races that I've ridden there, so a tester would do well if they can hold out for a while.

Cleggy

Post by Cleggy » 16 Dec 2016 11:17

I don't recall this! When was that Tim??? :shock: To be fair to Stourport, it is a great circuit. My first few races were there and I loved it, great corners, draggy uphill finish. I've just seen a lot of scary riding in the Wooly Mamils, but that could be from myself according to Tim!! :D

John

Post by John » 16 Dec 2016 11:45

Cleggy wrote:I don't recall this! When was that Tim??? :shock: To be fair to Stourport, it is a great circuit. My first few races were there and I loved it, great corners, draggy uphill finish. I've just seen a lot of scary riding in the Wooly Mamils, but that could be from myself according to Tim!! :D
It was probably when you were lapping him :)

Tim

Post by Tim » 16 Dec 2016 13:08

Haha! He is more than capable of lapping me although he is still recovering from my explosive performance at the track champs that caused him to implode and allow Passmore to escape!

It maybe wasn't you, just vague memories of you coming close to other riders causing some words of advice to come our way although could have been Patton thinking about it :lol:

GavPass

Post by GavPass » 16 Dec 2016 13:11

easy now.... I'm the only one that gets the credit for that win :P

Yosser

Post by Yosser » 19 Jan 2017 15:21

First things first. These stickeys are close to what I was suggesting we needed last year. Great.

Only just got back into training so won’t be going v well for some months yet but going to start to race earlier than last year.
I know that there is no one of even close to my age group racing so I may try to join some of you at BC events, track and a few TT’s so I have someone to talk to! Talking of BC events is anyone doing the Wooly Mamil races now that Clegg and co seem to have worries re crashing?

Plans. Going bold. Just got a track bike so what is next. Obviously going for the nationals! Entered LVRC nationals at Newport. Sun / Mon 12 / 13 Feb. I have got Just over 2 wks to get into medal winning shape. Last week needs to be a taper week so only 10 days left to get fit. Easy!

Events entered:
LVRC Track league at Derby 26 Jan, 9 Feb, 23 Feb and prob rest of the series.
LVRC national Omnium Champs 12 / 13 Feb
LVRC Baines Velo RR 5 Mar
May enter Wooley Mamil 28 Jan, 4 Feb

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 19 Jan 2017 21:16

Yosser wrote:I know that there is no one of even close to my age group racing so I may try to join some of you at BC events, track and a few TT’s so I have someone to talk to! Talking of BC events is anyone doing the Wooly Mamil races now that Clegg and co seem to have worries re crashing?
Things are getting serious, Dave! What category are BC going to put you in?

Robin, John and I are off to Spain at the end of February, so I think we're giving the Mamils a miss. I think James T might be doing them though.

Tim

Post by Tim » 19 Jan 2017 22:41

Stu is doing them plus someone else on FB said they'd signed up to the 4th cat I believe. I'm in no shape for the e/1/2/3s!

Tim

Post by Tim » 19 Jan 2017 22:48

Last two cyclo-cross of West Midlands league are coming up.

I've put an invite out on FB but would be good to get as many as possible to the last one on 29th January as it's local in Pype Hayes Park. I'm doing it, my kids are racing too in the under 8s and under 10s and I know Jess, Nic and Simon are racing it too.

Mountain bike would do the job fine if you don't have a cyclocross bike or a road with nobbly cx tyres. I did my first one in October and loved it. There's a summer one in Sutton Coldfield too so do this to get some experience before that! :D

Yosser

Post by Yosser » 20 Jan 2017 14:09

Not really that serious Laurence, just trying to get a buzz. Track certainly does that. Can't see me doing much in the national omnium as I am up against dedicated track men and I am nowhere near to last year for my fitness. However the 'rush'from having a go at that level...

As for BC racing I am assuming that I am in Cat 4. I'll have a look on my BC details page. Yep, Cat 4 and SV (super vet?) for other things like MTB XC, whatever that is

Road 4th
MTB XC S/Vet
Cyclo-Cross Vet 50+
MTB 4X Veteran
MTB DH G/Vet
BMX Veteran
BMX Cruiser 50+

I like the look of BMX Cruiser. I can do cruising!

Might just put in entry for a Mamil or two. The last one in the series is the day before Omnium Champs, so that is out.

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 20 Jan 2017 14:33

That's good. I thought you might be forced to race in the E/1/2/3 because you supposedly can't be relegated back down to 4th cat once you've been higher than that, so people who haven't raced for a long time often find themselves to be 3rd cats.

StuartWhite

Post by StuartWhite » 22 Jan 2017 21:35

I'll likely be going down the Mamils again next week (28th) Dave.
Cheers,

Stu

Yosser

Post by Yosser » 22 Jan 2017 22:59

I have entered the MAmilo for the 4th Feb. Next weeks was full and the final week's event is just a couple of days before that National Track champs so don't want to risk that.

It looks like there will be three of us there but not in all the same event.

Tim

Post by Tim » 23 Jan 2017 13:26

There were four there this weekend Dave. Stu in with the fast boys, Daniel Newns, James Tate and Roger Cutler in 4th only. Roger got 9th, Daniel and James had mechanicals.

Yosser

Post by Yosser » 24 Jan 2017 02:14

That's pretty good representation then. Onward and upwards.

Tim

Post by Tim » 24 Jan 2017 13:23

Stu, Andrew, Adrian, Jess etc may be interested in this https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/event ... f3ICBol.01

Dudley Grand Prix at Halesowen in June

JessRJ

Post by JessRJ » 25 Jan 2017 20:35

That looks cool Tim!

Gareth

Post by Gareth » 05 Feb 2017 18:04

So after dipping my toe in the racing water last year I think I'm going to give it another shot. Though the winter hasn't gone to plan, this year take it a bit more seriously, train harder and better and aim to get points and a cat 3 licence.

I've missed the woolly mamils, but I might sneak an early race in by mixing it with social events I'm attending and could do 4th cat races at either Abingdon or Milton Keynes in late Feb/early March.

Beyond that, maybe the University stage race. 4th Cat races at Mallory Park on Thursday evenings in April might also be possible if I can get my work schedule sorted. After that it'll be Solihull or Stourport weekday evening crits.

Tim

Post by Tim » 09 Feb 2017 16:45

I have entered the cat 3 only and 3/4 at Birmingham business Park in early April.
Know several others are signed up to the 3/4 and expect that will sell out soon

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/event ... cuit-Races

Roger C

Post by Roger C » 21 Feb 2017 22:17

I'm in the 3/4th cat at karbona..after my so far great start I'm now feeing apprehensive about the rest of the year! I'm eager to book more races/put the turn up and race ones in the diary. I have got a few sportives with some riding buds too for abit of 'normal' riding. I've had lots of good ideas of other races to do, some seem huge (in length) compared to my first 3, not sure how I'd fair with those.
Thanks for al the support guys 😊
I often wonder how fast I’d be if I wasn’t so into food

dannewns

Post by dannewns » 22 Feb 2017 14:48

thanks for that Tim, just got myself signed up for the 3/4 at Kabana, I've signed up for a few more duathlons and looking to find a Tri event in May.

I really want to get some TT events under my belt as well, but ill be honest im a little confused by it all so need to re-read through the thread on this forum and pick a few that are close to Birmingham.

Hels147

Post by Hels147 » 22 Feb 2017 22:55

Ha, to throw a bit of a curveball... I've entered the run and ride winter classic up at Cannock chase this Sunday 26 Feb. Fun category. Yup. Dirty XC on my mtb. :lol:
If you’re all about the destination, take a f#€king flight!

Tim

Post by Tim » 20 Mar 2017 22:32

Dave stick your plans on this thread, u r confusing me!

So my limited plans are

entered:

both Karbona Birmingham business park races coming up (couple of places remain, several members have entered)
Lichfield no frills Friday night at Curbrough the first one (know Gavin, Matt, Robin have entered one or more of this series, there's women's, 3rd only and 4th only although think 3/4 might be racing together looking at timings)
Little Mountain Time Trial

Then
Also hope to do some of:
The 2/3/4 Solihull no frills at Tudor Grange on weds nights (details on British Cycling, these are entry on the night). Fast but chance for all cats from beacon to race together so Stu doesn't get lonely and we are all up to matching the 2nd cats yep?!
Friday Night Track League at Halesowen
The second and third Lichfield no frills at Curbrough in June and July
Maybe one or two of the Stourport tuesday night league races
The summer cyclocross in Tamworth
and Victoria cyclocross (only chance of me getting on TV racing a bike)
Beacon Track Champs (date tbc soon)

Any I'm racing at I generally have space in car for one or three if really needed as I've a bike rack

Yosser

Post by Yosser » 22 Mar 2017 22:22

These are my plans for the next few months. All LVRC. Any thoughts on BC events that might be appropriate to join in with you lads and lassies? Or any of these events take your fancy oh peoples over 40?

EVENTS- MY CALENDAR
10:07 Sun, 19 Mar 2017 La Fleche WAltonne rr E/F/G STALLARD ONIMPEX UK, BIORACER SERIES EVENT EFGH
19:00 Thu, 23 Mar 2017 LVRC Derby Track League Event 6 EFGH
11:30 Sat, 01 Apr 2017 Solihull Early Season Circuit Race DEFG+
10:00 Sun, 02 Apr 2017 CC Luton Claydons Classic Spring Road Race A STALLARD ONIMPEX UK, BIORACER SERIES EVENT EFGH
10:00 Sat, 22 Apr 2017 Derek Smith Memorial Road Race FGHI HALIFAX!
11:00 Sat, 29 Apr 2017 Tunstall Wheelers/Brian Rourke - Pro-Vision circuit races Cats A B C D E F G H I
EFGHI starts 11am. ADCB starts 2pm
10:10 Sun, 07 May 2017 Enville RR STALLARD ONIMPEX UK, BIORACER SERIES EVENT EFGH

Gareth

Post by Gareth » 30 Mar 2017 11:19

Barring injury/accident I will definitely be heading to the Cat 4 race at Manor Park 13 April (Maundy Thursday). Hopefully I will be going to the following two weeks as well but depends on work etc a bit more for those.

Tim

Post by Tim » 31 Mar 2017 09:20

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/event ... cuit-Races

Entry closes for this tonight several members entered so a good one to try if new to racing

Gareth

Post by Gareth » 31 Mar 2017 10:44

Gareth wrote:Barring injury/accident I will definitely be heading to the Cat 4 race at Manor Park 13 April (Maundy Thursday). Hopefully I will be going to the following two weeks as well but depends on work etc a bit more for those.[/quote

I of course meant Mallory park. Dam autocorrect.

jdtate101

Post by jdtate101 » 31 Mar 2017 10:58

Next race for me is a crit at Castle Coombe motor circuit on good friday. Should be a blast on nice smooth, wide tarmac. Would like to do the 20mile club TT on the 8th, but I'm doing HONC on the sunday so I probably won't.

Tim

Post by Tim » 02 May 2017 21:54

A few of us racing in the 2/3/4 at Tudor Grange tomorrow night 7pm, first of five with three of them being 3 only details are on bc website. Stourport Tuesdays have started tonight too with 4th only at 7pm then women's only then 2/3/4 at 8.15.

Both Tudor Grange and Stourport are enter on night £10