Blast from the past

Discussion about Beacon member participation in road, track and cyclocross racing

Moderators: laurence_cooley, JessRJ, AdeR, Pedlo Mudguardo, StuartWhite, gmac, Tim

Yosser

Blast from the past

Post by Yosser » 14 Feb 2017 18:21

Whilst idly using up yet another day on planet earth, (retired don't you know), I came across this site and images. All are to be found in the Beacon archives. However the first image does show the strength of turnout on track day. Can we get this size of turnout this year? I bet we can.
(Coincidentally man on the front of the pack, leaning on the fencing, is Pete Ryan who emigrated to Canada many years ago but is still in contact with Roger Green and will be visiting these shores if not already here, and the Beacon club room this Thursday 16th).

Btw, the action photo of the latter stages of the distance race has the following people in it.

From L to R;
Hidden?, Tony Webb, Dave Sinar, John Hitchcock (attacking), Richard Steele and I believe it is Steve Chiswell on the right.

So where was I? Not riding but taking the photos and my eagle eye spots, (though I don't remember how it came to be), Mr Chiswell is riding my Tommy Godwin badged Merician track bike.

Happy days.

Yosser

Post by Yosser » 14 Feb 2017 18:25

OK, OK yes I did forget the link, just being a bit of a drama king, building up suspense. (Note that lack of sexism there?)

https://spinwell.wordpress.com/tag/race/page/9/

Dave

Les Ladbury

Post by Les Ladbury » 15 Feb 2017 09:27

Yosser wrote:OK, OK yes I did forget the link, just being a bit of a drama king, building up suspense. (Note that lack of sexism there?)

https://spinwell.wordpress.com/tag/race/page/9/

Dave
Dave,

I've just found this, brings back memories. I remember racing at Handsworth Park in the 60s. There were also a lot of events held in Dartmouth Park in West Brom. around the same time. I seem to think that these came to an end after ducks decided to walk across the path in front of the bunch as it descended the hill to the lake. Don't remember whether it was Dartmouth or Handsworth but Duck a l'Orange was on the menu in the area for some time afterwards.
There's a good pic of one of my heroes, Jacques Anquetil. To me one of the greatest riders ever to stick a needle in his bum.
Finally, Henri Cartier-Bresson, a photographers photographer. Forget all this digital manipulation crap, it was he who coined the phase "The Decisive Moment" which is to me what photography is all about.
Les

Yosser

Post by Yosser » 15 Feb 2017 11:00

Henri Cartier-Bresson. Ah I remember the phrase very well. As i recall, the key image was of an older gentleman jumping over a puddle caught in mid flight.

Tim

Post by Tim » 15 Feb 2017 11:04

I think Dave Cole was going to check with Charles his plans for track champs. We need a date and back up date asap so people can keep it free, hopefully we can chose one when Stu is on holiday again :D
Please like and follow Beacon Cycling Academy https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beacon-C ... 6499863667

George

Post by George » 15 Feb 2017 13:41

Les Ladbury wrote:Finally, Henri Cartier-Bresson, a photographers photographer. Forget all this digital manipulation crap, it was he who coined the phase "The Decisive Moment" which is to me what photography is all about.
I suspect that that's right. Which is why I generally stick to photographing trees.

Yosser

Post by Yosser » 17 Feb 2017 09:59

Tim wrote: hopefully we can chose one when Stu is on holiday again :D
... and when Croggan is crocked, Clegg is abroad, Ravenscroft is otherwise engaged, etc etc. Then us oldies might finish within a lap!