Track Accreditation

Discussion about Beacon member participation in road, track and cyclocross racing

Moderators: laurence_cooley, JessRJ, AdeR, Pedlo Mudguardo, StuartWhite, gmac, Tim

GavPass

Track Accreditation

Post by GavPass » 20 Feb 2017 09:41

Did my full day track accreditation at Derby on saturday and despite being overpriced (£150) it was really good and got a lot covered. The individual feedback was minimal and did feel that we were told off a lot (in a good way) as a group, but it really did hammer home their points on awareness and observation. We did a range of drills including different line changes, through and off, one handed/standing up riding, stacks of 3/4/5's in a big group, pairs changes and a coach led race to end the session.

If you're planning on doing this, make sure you've ridden the track before, the club session we did would be fine. We had one guy turn up that hadn't ridden before, and he did a bit and then was pulled out of the session.

They did say that although it states that you'll get full UK track accreditation, that this actually only applies to Derby and you'll still have to do a stage 4 elsewhere (although I think Newport are more relaxed).

This will then open up further opportunities for sessions at the track.... for anyone that has done SQT sessions, is there a good starter (easier) one to go for first?

Yosser

Post by Yosser » 20 Feb 2017 11:13

I did the Monday night session a few times. Very good and divided into two ability groups. They are as hard as you want them to be for many of the exercises.

I have no comparison with any of the other SQT sessions.

GavPass

Post by GavPass » 20 Feb 2017 12:42

might check it out. I'm up there all weekend for my coaching course, so may try the sunday night session

IanT

Post by IanT » 20 Feb 2017 17:36

I also went this route to get my accreditation and it was a similar experience, a bit over priced, mixed abilities on the day but ultimately a good way of getting accredited if you're pushed for time and don't fancy several trips over a number of weeks. Not yet had the bottle to give an SQT a try but I guess I ought to - though this weekend is probably out so will look at alternate dates. Gav, will give you a shout if I book any sessions in case you can also make it.

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 20 Feb 2017 19:26

I did mine through separate sessions. A club session will usually cover session 1.
The accreditation is now shown on my BC license and should apply to any UK track. The license clearly states UK track accreditation and does not specify any particular track. If you've been told different then you need to check with BC.
If the one day session turns out not only to be more expensive than four separate sessions but also doesn't lead to full UK accreditation then it really has little to recommend it. UK accreditation requires a minimum of six hours coached sessions,with a assessment by approved L2 track coach. This is what you get over the four sessions at Derby.

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 20 Feb 2017 20:15

Just to be clear, UK track accredit ion gets you automatic probationary accreditation at all velodromes in the UK. This enables you to attend some but not all SQT (structured quality training) sessions at any velodrome.
I understand Manchester is about the standard and their rules for Probationary accreditation are here
http://www.nationalcyclingcentre.com/tr ... editation/
Usually it means you can't attend Madison session, Derny sessions and some other advanced sessions until a coach at the venue has seen you ride and you have attended a certain number of sessions (without killing anyone).

This is at the indoor velodromes that are part of the system, Manchester, Newport, Edinburgh, London and Derby.
Outdoor velodromes have their own separate rules.

I understand their is still some disagreements about shortening the accreditation pathways between venues and BC, which is why the one day schemes and being given access directly to higher levels based on prior experience is controversial. My advice is until they sort themselves out, sticking to the four sessions will at least get you automatic access to SQL sessions without difficulties at any of the venues, including Manchester.
I did get to discuss this ( and the bloody useless Derby booking system) briefly with a senior person from BC on the weekend, but even he was a little unclear!!!

The best source of information about velodrome rules is the Manchester website. They tend to be the strictest and are (in theory if not always in practise) run by BC, so if you aim at for filling whatever they say is required then you should be OK everywhere else. I understand they are very strick of the six month rule, so once you are accredited with them if you don't ride a SQL for six months you have to do stage 4 again. How they apply this to riders accredited elsewhere I have no idea as certainly Derby record system does not link to Manchester, they have to actually e mail details of your accreditation over to BC before it goes on your license so I am sure they don't tell Manchester if you have done any SQT sessions. :roll:

Tim

Post by Tim » 28 Mar 2017 12:08

There's another Halesowen Derby track accreditation session on Sunday at 3pm. Just turn up. Well done to Helen and Robin for passing the last one.
Please like and follow Beacon Cycling Academy https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beacon-C ... 6499863667