Road/circuit race reports 2017

Discussion about Beacon member participation in road, track and cyclocross racing

Moderators: laurence_cooley, JessRJ, AdeR, Pedlo Mudguardo, StuartWhite, gmac, Tim

GavPass

Re: Road/circuit race reports 2017

Post by GavPass » 05 Jul 2017 22:52

John and I ventured back to Curborough tonight. I really wasn't feeling it and with 50 signed on it didn't look too hopeful. The race started and I could feel the dread of kicking out of the corners for another hour and my early dinner rising up.

15 mins went and I still felt terrible, so what do I do in order to keep my head held high. Attack. Went away for a handful of laps and gained a good distance, john sitting on the front of the bunch blocking. Eventually he and another Lichfield rider joined us and I floated back to the bunch to try and slow things down in return.

The next half of the race went like a blur, john and I worked hard in the closing stages to keep the tempo high. I ended up in 10th with john in the bunch after a strong pull on the front in the closing laps.

We both agree that we didn't ride it to the best of our ability and I certain rode like an idiot for most of the race

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 13 Jul 2017 13:10

June's report here: http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/hubub/2017/ ... june-2017/.

I got 8th in very wet conditions at Stourport this week. I missed a break of six riders who went clear relatively early on, but ended up in a gap between them and the rest, and worked with a couple of others to maintain our lead over the remaining field.

Tim

Post by Tim » 13 Jul 2017 14:42

Decent. How many points is that now Laurence?
Please like and follow Beacon Cycling Academy https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beacon-C ... 6499863667

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 13 Jul 2017 14:55

Tim wrote:
13 Jul 2017 14:42
Decent. How many points is that now Laurence?
Six, so half-way there. Starting to run out of races to enter now though. :?

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 18 Jul 2017 13:25

Gavin was 4th 3rd-cat in the final Lichfield no frills event at Curborough on Friday. I was 11th amongst the 4ths, and Robin 12th (it's was concurrent 3/4 race with points for the top 10 in each category). I was a bit annoyed to miss out on the points as there weren't many 4th-cat starters and I'd been targeting this race since my last one at Curborough, but I'd injured my knee in a crash in the road race league the night before, and while it was fine for the first 30 minutes, it started to hurt later on. Gavin seemed to be going really well. Photos, mostly of Gavin, here.

GavPass

Post by GavPass » 20 Jul 2017 14:47

Heard somewhere that a guy called Matt Clegg got a 2nd cat... didn't realise he had any pets at all

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 30 Jul 2017 18:38

GavPass wrote:
20 Jul 2017 14:47
Heard somewhere that a guy called Matt Clegg got a 2nd cat... didn't realise he had any pets at all
I asked him how he did it:
In mostly the same way as last time, although somewhat closer :P Jumped from near the back of the group through a gap I'm still not entirely sure how I got through (without riding grass track at least). Attacked down the hill and rode as hard as poss through the corners and up the hill into the wind spinning like crazy to try and hold them off. Ben Manfield (Morvelo Basso) had decided he wasn't having any of it so chased but got him by a wheel length :)

GavPass

Post by GavPass » 30 Jul 2017 20:28

Did the 1st round of the Ely crit at Stourport yesterday. No one wanted to attack and the odd person that got a gap just got closed down. Pretty boring, slow at times and sketchy. Got 7th (could've been 8th) in the bunch sprint

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 01 Aug 2017 15:07

My knee injury's been slow to clear up, but I managed 10th in the final round of the Stourport series last Tuesday, and then 10th again at Shrewsbury on Sunday. I didn't realise how slippery it gets at Shrewsbury in the damp - way worse than I've ever found it to be at Stourport. Three people slid off in the warmup! It dried out for the first half of the race but then started to rain hard and I couldn't stand up coming out of the hairpin without my rear wheel sliding all over the place. The bunch was down to 12 riders by that point, and we'd lapped pretty much everyone else, when two riders went down. I just about avoided coming off myself, but was left a little way off the back and wasn't going to push too hard through the corners to try to get back on, so I settled for staying upright and getting a single point.

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 07 Aug 2017 20:14

GavPass

Post by GavPass » 08 Aug 2017 21:55

Great write up Laurence

Yosser

Post by Yosser » 12 Aug 2017 19:57

Nicely done Laurence. I love the bit where you say " Full results are available here (you have to scroll down a bit through the age categories)". Now that is getting old!

GavPass

Post by GavPass » 22 Aug 2017 16:49

Raced the 2nd Ely Stourport crit on Saturday with Robin. 2 went early on which I was unaware of and the bunch didn't bother to chase, about half way through another 2 went up the road. The bunch seemed to be more worried about not getting out of breath and didn't chase. I got a bit confused in the last couple of laps and sprinted for the line still with 1 to go, only to realise that no one else was! I sat in 5th wheel for the sprint and narrowly avoided a massive crash on the last corner ending up with 7th overall.

Cleggy

Post by Cleggy » 23 Aug 2017 22:00

Hi guys, apologies for this report being over a week since the race; moving to another country has kept me rather busy!

Leicester Castle Classic E/1/2 - National A – HSBC UK Grand Prix Series Final Round – 13th August 2017

94 starters, course is 2-3m wide most of the way around :shock:

Brutally fast straight out of the neutralised lap, whole field strung out. Started about 60th wheel (not ideal but not terrible). Caught behind a crash on first lap, nearly taken down by Tobyn Horton (ranked 10th nationally) of Madison Genesis who swerved to avoid it; burnt the left side of my brand new tanwall tyre! Rest of the field overtook, stuck at the back, frontmen attacking to split everyone in the chaos.

Field split into 3 large groups which were all strung out either attacking or chasing. I don't think I've ever been so far into the red and was hanging on for dear life for around 25 minutes before things settled down. The group I was in (3rd group) had reduced from around 35 to 8 riders; comprised of Metaltek Kuota, Spirit Tifosi and Richardsons-Trek RT (Flamme Rouge), Wheelbase Altura and a lonely Beacon jersey. Things became more cooperative, rotating smoothly, and we were gaining on the 2nd group until after 51 minutes, the race marshals “black flagged” us and withdrew us from the race. Was absolutely gutting considering it took 2:30 of us being stationary at the roadside before effectively being lapped by the leading group coming around. My comrades were equally disgruntled as it was pretty clear we were causing no disturbance to the lead group and would likely have finished without causing any interference to the race. Oh well, such was the decision!

Luckily, I was on the front as we came over the start/finish line for our final complete lap so beat the rest of my group 8) Came 59th overall, learnt an enormous amount and experienced elite level racing. Loved the course, tight corners, fast sweeping sections AND COBBLES!! Really hope to get an entry next year :D

Tim

Post by Tim » 24 Aug 2017 16:02

Fantastic achievement and great write up!
Enjoy the racing and study on the continent!
Please like and follow Beacon Cycling Academy https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beacon-C ... 6499863667

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 24 Aug 2017 16:20

A performance in that company that does you proud young Matt. Spend your time well in the Netherlands and it's the first group next time😎

George

Post by George » 26 Aug 2017 11:20

What Pete said.

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 30 Aug 2017 21:41

In a last-ditch attempt to get the four points I need to make it to 3rd cat, I've been down to MK Bowl the past two Thursdays. Two weeks ago was my first time racing there, and the race was clockwise on the inner (kidney-shaped) circuit. I stayed near the front for pretty much the whole race, followed a few unsuccessful attacks and was on the front with two laps to go, but then ended up too far back to contest the sprint and finished a poor 26th (out of 32). With that in mind, last week I made sure to be close to the front as we took the bell, sitting in second wheel coming over the top of the hill (same circuit, but anti-clockwise this time). I lost a few places on the downhill section and decided I was on the wrong wheel, so went to move up on the back straight. Slightly to my surprise, the result was that I found myself on the front coming out of the final proper corner. I'd obviously gone too early, but tried to hold off the bunch in the finishing curve. I made it about half-way there (just long enough to start to think that I might actually win) before being mobbed. I held on for 9th. There's one more round there, tomorrow evening.

George

Post by George » 31 Aug 2017 14:17

Keep trying, Laurence!

Yosser

Post by Yosser » 31 Aug 2017 19:20

Laurence by the time you read this you will have finished the race at MK bowl. How did it go? Best tactic is get in the first six riders into the last lap and hang on for all your worth approaching the foot of that hill. MUCH easier said than done but you go uphill well!

Not sure if I have posted this already but now confirmed as LVRC Over 65 series winner for 2017.

LVRC
Race Results
21/08/2017 - OVER 65 POINTS SERIES 2017 FINAL GC

The best 5 results to count. However, many results are less than the minumum of 4 to qualify for an overall award.
Any queries to Barry Jones at CJANDBGJ@aol.com

CATEGORY F - 

Dave Hughes, Beacon RCC, 26pts
Ralph Keeler, St Ives CC, 21pts
Jeff Hathaway, Milton Keynes, 19pts
Phil Cooper, LVRC, 15pts
Joe Rowe, Bush Heathcare, 11pts
David Brown, Leighton Buzzard RCC, 9pts
Rob Matheson, Better Cycling, 7pts
David Deakins, Lune RCC, 6pts
Ken Bradbury, Wyre Forest, 5pts
Malcolm Fraser, Team Lusso, 4pts
Martin Hackley, Team Jewson, 3pts
Nick Selibas, Karbona UK, 3pts
Charlie Bruce, Ciclos Uno, 3pts
Alistair Cameron, Chevin Cycles, 2pts
David Williams, Kingsnorth Int, 2pts
John Crooks, LVRC, 1pt
Phil Bratton, VC Ventoux, 1pt
Olivier MacPherson, Planet Velo, 1pt

George

Post by George » 31 Aug 2017 19:24

Congratulations, Dave.

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 31 Aug 2017 19:51

Yosser wrote:
31 Aug 2017 19:20
Laurence by the time you read this you will have finished the race at MK bowl. How did it go? Best tactic is get in the first six riders into the last lap and hang on for all your worth approaching the foot of that hill. MUCH easier said than done but you go uphill well!
Well, it almost went like that! I was fourth as went up the hill on the penultimate lap, and then someone attacked from further back in the bunch. None of the three riders ahead of me showed any interest in chasing, but I couldn't help myself. The only problem was, by the time I reacted, he had too big a gap and he stayed away (I think). I deliberately let a few slip past to avoid being on the front through the final corner and leading everyone out like last week. The sprint was chaotic and I couldn't sprint at full effort or I would have gone into the back of people. No idea where I came, but I'd be very surprised if it was the seventh I needed.

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 31 Aug 2017 23:55

12th according to the provisional results. :( And the rider who got away got pipped on the line for the win.

GavPass

Post by GavPass » 02 Sep 2017 17:31

Rode the last Ely crit at Stourport today. Few breaks went and tried my best to get in one, but none managed to stick on the end. Came down to a bunch sprint, sat in behind a couple of handy sprinters and came third. Guy who won it rides national track sprint league and the guy in 2nd had legs twice the size of mine. Now in two minds whether to try and get a few more points.

Yosser

Post by Yosser » 03 Sep 2017 18:41

Then that is an excellent result. Many of the pure sprinters will struggle to get away / stay away in a break. From what I have sen you will soon be able to do that with some regularity. Then that impressive sprint of yours will kick in big time. I would take a lot of positives from this result.

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 10 Sep 2017 22:02

Yosser

View from the old guy - September

Post by Yosser » 17 Sep 2017 10:18

View from the old Guy July - September 2017

A strange couple of months July and August turned out to be. Following the National Track champs I found it hard to get switched on to training again. You would have thought that the track success would have been such a boost that I would be champing at the bit to race but no. So a poor attitude combined with several cancelled events, including a 50m TT attempt, several Friday Track Leagues and 2 road Races) meant that I went on holiday for a couple of weeks decidedly undercooked. However Guernsey is superb for training and I finally got back to some sort of determined training regime.

NATIONAL CRITERIUM CHAMPIONSHIPS
And so to September. It’s still only early but the first week, Sunday 3rd was a key day for me in this years targets, the National Criterium Championships. Last year I targeted these and came away with the Bronze, beaten into 3rd place by Don Parry, who was the reigning National RR champion and Ken Bradbury. This year they were both on the start sheet again … Hmm, this will be interesting.

The day was overcast, windy and with heavy, intermittent downpours. “Wet drain covers on this island a bit of a problem” opined one contestant from an earlier race. “Got to be very careful on the bends” he added for good measure. A national bronze medal from a previous race trailed casually round his neck so I took him at his word.
“Looks a bit dodgy Dave” said Don Parry! Yep I agreed. We both discussed not racing, but we both knew we would. We both discussed starting but quit if it got dangerous, but we both knew we wouldn’t. We then discussed just using it for training and then not sprint. That was never going to happen! Just then John Poole came in. He had just quit the Cat E race due to a very dodgy moment coming out of the main island turn. “Too dangerous mate, I cant afford another crash” Hmm, maybe some of us wont ride after all. I might not ride either.

As suspected, it made no difference, we all lined up regardless. The rain had now relented and the roads starting to dry a little. The first few laps were as expected, fast and with several failed attempts to get away by those eager to make an impression. I watched Don, the defending champion and class act. Last year I had chased everything. This year it would be different. Just wait for the moment. I reckoned I would know when that was. Finally a break of four riders went clear with a good lead of 2-300 m. I knew one of them, Dave Woods. Excellent rider. A strong (3rd in national RR Champs), honest worker but lacking a sprint. Perfect break companion! The other three I didn’t recognise. I quietly flicked up a gear or two and looked for a suitable position on the outside of the bunch from which to attack. Let’s see if I can escape from my main rivals and bridge across. Maybe even catch Don napping. No chance, Don had just gone from the pack like a bullet. Luckily I had got myself sorted already so I followed. I caught Don and we nodded tacit agreement to team pursuit to the break. A lap later the union was made. What followed then was as honest a race as I had ever been party to. All six of us worked “thorough and off” like metronomes. Approximately 400 years of experience was in that break and it showed! Rotation clockwise and anticlockwise depending on wind direction without saying a word, just a quick hand signal of a rotating finger enough. The time wound down. One hour + 5 laps the target. We were pulling clear all the time. I kept waiting for someone to miss a turn. Nothing. Someone to do ‘pretend turns’ nope all doing their bit! Someone to attack. Nothing, Someone to be dropped. No chance! All strong. One of the unknown riders was particularly strong and had legs like tree trunks. Hmm. Not only strong rider but likely to be a sprinter. Who the hell is he? Bad enough having Don to contend with. The hour is up and the lap board begins it’s countdown. Let the fun and games begin. Nothing! Just good honest pulls. Somehow this gets you. You feel a sense of honour to the others even thought the idea is to beat them by any means possible. I didn’t even bother with trying to do a ‘weak’ turn or two, (you know what I mean) just pull. And so the final lap loomed. Before the bell I had resolved to find either Don’s or the ‘strong one’s’ wheel. Let them come through and then limpet mine it. Only they didn’t come through! I found myself on Dave Wood’s wheel, and that was it. I looked over my shoulder and of course it was Don. No smile just another tacit agreement. You lead me out Dave and we’ll take it from there. Hmm. And so it came to be that a line of twitchy riderrs all followed Dave Woods for the entire last lap. The finish line appeared, a fair distance up the road. We all kicked it up a notch. The line got close and we all kicked it up another notch. Dave still leading. Then ‘the moment’./ Don came over me on the outside and to the right of Dave. I kicked and went to left hoping Dave didn’t close the gap to the gutter. He didn’t. Straight shoot out and I just about got the verdict on the line. Good race and National Champion. So that is what it felt like.
Good fun and a perfect end (sort of) to the season.

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 09 Oct 2017 10:39

A September write-up here (sorry for the rather sketchy coverage of the cyclo-cross): http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/hubub/2017/ ... mber-2017/.

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 01 Jan 2018 16:05

And a final write-up, of the last few months of the year: http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/hubub/2017/ ... mber-2017/.

Tim

Post by Tim » 02 Jan 2018 09:04

Great report, thanks for doing them.