Stourport Summer Series 2017 format

Discussion about Beacon member participation in road, track and cyclocross racing

Moderators: laurence_cooley, JessRJ, AdeR, Pedlo Mudguardo, StuartWhite, gmac, Tim

laurence_cooley

Stourport Summer Series 2017 format

Post by laurence_cooley » 10 Mar 2017 10:00

I attended the organisers' meeting for the Tuesday night Stourport Summer Series last night. It was agreed to stick to the three-race format, but some changes to individual races are being made.

The 3/4 race will be replaced with a weekly 4th-cat only race, to allow more people to gain points and promotion to 3rd cat. This race won't contribute to points for the series' own internal standings, for the obvious reason that once anyone gets to 12 points, they're promoted to 3rd cat and can't enter the 4th-only race.

The women's race will now be a 1/2/3/4 rather than a 2/3/4 race, but with the 3rd and 4th cats starting with half a lap's head start on the 1st and 2nd cats. This is to maximise the number of women who can race, without making it too tough for first-time racers and other 4th-cat women. Unfortunately it's a bit of a "use it or lose it" year for the women's races this season, as the largest field for any of the 13 or so races last year was nine (i.e. less than the ten required for full points to be awarded), and some weeks there were only three or four entrants. More effort will be put into promoting this race this season, including through the Women's Cycling Midlands Facebook group.

The 2/3/4 race remains. To give more of a chance to 3rd cats, who have lost the 3/4 race, the 3/4s will get a head start on the 2nd cats in this race - the extent of which will be determined by the organiser on the night, in line with some guidelines that the BC Regional Events Officer will draw up. The alternative was to make this a 3rd-cat only race, but we thought that it would be a shame to deny 2nd cats the opportunity to race - particularly given that some of them are regulars who have supported the series over a number of years.

While it's hard to please everyone, overall, I think these changes are good for Beacon members who race.

dannewns

Post by dannewns » 10 Mar 2017 15:50

Hi Laurence

thanks for the info, is there a date for the start of the series or will it be the same as last year?

thanks

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 10 Mar 2017 15:53

dannewns wrote:Hi Laurence

thanks for the info, is there a date for the start of the series or will it be the same as last year?

thanks
The first round is on 2 May. The events should be on the BC website in the next few weeks.

Tim

Post by Tim » 10 Mar 2017 18:20

At first seeing this I was a bit annoyed as a weak 3rd cater however what you are saying is we get a head start over Stu! So can't complain really :D
Although chances of 3rds working together or hard is unlikely I think as will want to save themselves for when caught but suppose then following week a bigger gap can be given and I could be wrong and will depend who's there. All for trying something new and def as a seasoned 4th cat it's great for them and means you, Robin, James etc have no excuse for not scoring loads of points!
Please like and follow Beacon Cycling Academy https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beacon-C ... 6499863667