Accredited Marshal training

Discussion about Beacon member participation in road, track and cyclocross racing

Moderators: laurence_cooley, JessRJ, AdeR, Pedlo Mudguardo, StuartWhite, gmac, Tim

petemarshall

Accredited Marshal training

Post by petemarshall » 16 Nov 2017 17:49

Message from Joe Wilkes BC
Last year was the first year of us running the Accredited Marshal scheme in the West Midlands on a select few of races and was a great success. It has increased the safety of those Road Races drastically and also made Organising a Road Race much easier for Organisers having the Accredited Marshals organised by the Region. The feedback we have had from Riders, Organisers and Commissaires is fantastic and really makes us realise what great work our Accredited Marshals in the West Midlands have done in 2017. So for 2018 we are planning on expanding the scheme to run on all of our Weekend Road Races and some of our Thursday night Road Races, which obviously means we need to increase the amount of marshals we have in the Region. I was hoping you would be able to circulate the information around your club members to see if we can find some keen volunteers to get involved with the scheme.

We currently have 2 courses planned for February next year, the details of which are below and the link for you to enrol.

Aldersley Stadium, Wolverhampton, WV6 9NW
4th February 2018
9am – 1pm

Shrewsbury Sports Village, Shrewsbury, SY1 4RQ
25th February
9:30am – 1:30pm

They will have to attend the half day training course and then they are able to get out to events and start marshalling at events, they are then expected to do ideally 5 events a year to maintain your Accreditation and also so that we have enough marshals to cover all of our events throughout the year. They will receive an Accredited Marshal Polo shirt after attending the training and then once you have completed their first 5 events an Accredited Marshal Coat too. They also will receive 20p per mile travel expenses to all of the events they do so that they are not out of pocket for petrol.

If anyone has any further questions please point them in my direction or if they are wanting to enrol on either course please put them in touch with me so I can do so.

I look forward to hopefully seeing your club members on the courses early next year and getting involved with making Road Racing safer across the West Midlands.

Many Thanks,

JOE WILKS

laurence_cooley

Re: Accredited Marshal training

Post by laurence_cooley » 16 Nov 2017 20:53

Thanks for posting this, Pete. I was meaning to myself but hadn't got around to it.

I think I'm right in saying that Pete has signed up to be an accredited marshal and will be going to the 4th February training session. It would be great if we could get another couple of Beacon members signed up, so do give it some thought. Joe's e-mail address is josephwilks@britishcycling.org.uk, and I'd appreciate it if you could also drop me a message if you do register.