What's the riding like around the Severn Valley?

Chat about anything in here

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, Dave Cox

rogerzilla

What's the riding like around the Severn Valley?

Post by rogerzilla » 27 Dec 2022 11:44

I was a Beacon RCC member many, many years ago (1992-1993) but had to move to Devon for work. I used to go on almost every Sunday club run, normally sat at the back with Sean, although I was once allowed to lead a run to Worcester on probably the wettest Sunday I can remember :D

30 years later, I'm looking to jack in work in 2024 and move away from the current place in Swindon (which is a dump, but a surprisingly good base for road cycling). I'm thinking of Bridgnorth or Bewdley so I can volunteer on the SVR, but I'm not sure what it's like for riding. I remember club runs to Ironbridge, Stourport and Quatt. The problem with the Severn Valley could be the very low number of river crossings, so most quiet lanes are dead ends and the roads parallel to the river on either side are pretty busy. Also, I quite like riding a fixie these days - ok for short steep hills but hopeless on long drags, and I was never much of a climber anyway.

Anyone know the area well? Would I be doomed to chancing it on the A442, or are there some good flattish routes?

Thanks,

Roger

Philip Whiteman

Re: What's the riding like around the Severn Valley?

Post by Philip Whiteman » 27 Dec 2022 15:52

Hello Roger.

It is good to hear from you.

I live to the east of Kidderminster near Chaddesley Corbett. East of the Severn provides great opportunities for gentler rides but have always taken the view that 'west is best' for quieter roads albeit very hill routes.

You are correct on the limited nature of crossings. Arley and Alverley are popular cyclist's crossing points but are very hilly. Bewdley Bridge, Holt Fleet and Stourport can be very busy.

Judging by your cycling requirements, I wonder if it would be more advantageous to look further afield but within easy driving distance of the SVR. Places such as Shrewsbury, Leominster, Ludlow or Tenbury offer a variety of hilly and flatter routes. Pershore, Bromsgrove or Droitwich provides access to the Vale of Evesham though you are constrained by the limited westward crossing of the Severn at Worcester, Holt Fleet of Stourport. The latter group of towns would be beneficial for volunteering at the GWSR if you were to find the environment at the SVR as 'testing'. Tewkesbury is a great option but possibly too far from the SVR.

You are right on the A442, it is far from good. Similar could said of the other eastbound A roads from Bridgnorth. However, there does appear to be a vibrant cycling community in Bridgnorth but there are plenty of non-main road alternatives but these are all hilly.

I struggle to find anything positive to say about Kidderminster as either a town or for cycling. Stourport is marginally better. Bewdley is surrounded by steep hills and the main roads are not great.

Regards

Philip

rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla » 29 Dec 2022 16:26

Thanks. The A442 was actually part of the club run to the biker café at Quatt, but there was very little Sunday traffic in the early 90s - shops weren't open, and there was half the number of cars in the UK back then (20m vs 40m now).

I'm not keen on driving to the SVR as I never know when I'll need to give that up due to poor eyesight or other problems. I suppose I could just get very fit and lose 2 stones.

Rod Goodfellow
Location: Cranage,Holmes Chapel,Cheshire,UK or Lake Wales,Florida

Post by Rod Goodfellow » 30 Dec 2022 10:12

I lved in Highley (at the top of Station Lane) from 1968-76 and Colin Purdy from 1970-80. I commuted onthe bike to Northfield,Dudley and Wolverhampton, Colin to Bridgnorth Grammar.We both found it excellent for hill climb training.However,now elderly and decrepit, if I wanted to be in easy cycling from the SVR I would consider Much Wenlock.