Beacon Legends.

Chat about anything in here

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, Dave Cox

Macco

Beacon Legends.

Post by Macco » 20 Jun 2023 09:42

Stopped for a cuppa at Crowle cafe yesterday, when a gent recognised my Beacon jersey. It turned out I was talking to June Pitchford & I think the gent was Rod Goodfellow & his wife Chris, (please forgive me if I got that wrong, my memory for names is crap these days). They talked fondly of their time at the club, reminiscing about their time trialing exploits. They wished to be remembered to all at the club.

George

Re: Beacon Legends.

Post by George » 20 Jun 2023 13:25

Hello, Macco.

June Pitchford (now June Raw) lives in the Malvern area these days. She does still cycle, but whether she's in the habit as venturing as far north as Crowle, I'm not so sure.

Rod Goodfellow is still thriving too, but tends to divide his time between Lancashire (where he grew up) and the USA. We don't often see him in the Midlands (although it's not impossible that you bumped into him on one of his occasional visits). Sadly, I'm afraid that you are definitely mistaken about Chris. She died quite a long time ago.

If you're interested in the Beacon's history, you might enjoy this:
http://beaconrcc.org.uk/75th-anniversar ... r-booklet/

Rod Goodfellow
Location: Cranage,Holmes Chapel,Cheshire,UK or Lake Wales,Florida

Post by Rod Goodfellow » 22 Jun 2023 08:43

I have not been to Crowle for over 50 years!
I was born and brought up in Yorkshire before attending Birmingham Uni and joining the Beacon,moved from Northfield to Highley ,Shropshire in 1967 then to Lancashire in 1976 and joined the N Lancs RC. Then moved to near Holmes Chapel,Cheshire 2years ago today.
Chris died from cancer in 1985 aged 46.

Macco

Post by Macco » 22 Jun 2023 16:51

I'm so sorry, I've obviously got the wrong couple. The gent I spoke to now lives in Devon & had a bike parts business up here until he retired. I'm really sorry if I've caused anyone any distress & could now kick myself for not jotting down their names, but it was definitely June Pitchford making up the trio.

Rod Goodfellow
Location: Cranage,Holmes Chapel,Cheshire,UK or Lake Wales,Florida

Post by Rod Goodfellow » 22 Jun 2023 18:37

No problem caused.I was just putting the record straight.