lenni77

Re: A great read

Post by lenni77 » 09 Sep 2022 13:58

interesting information

Si_Walker

Post by Si_Walker » 19 Jan 2023 18:58

‘Beryl - In Search of Britains’s Greatest Athlete’ by Jeremy Wilson

This is a well written and extensively researched book about the life and achievements of Beryl Burton. Engagingly written, I found it hard to put down as it was compelling, interesting and enjoyable. The description of the events are at times shocking for the misogynist attitudes to female cyclists of the era, yet on other occasions humorous and light hearted. There are descriptions of events which not directly related to Beryl add context to her life and achievements. Reference is made to standard club ‘rules’ such as ‘not dropping a rider’ and the use of mudguards in winter referred to in club cycling accounts, which are important today in club fraternity and additionally that the premise that there is no substitute for getting the miles in.
The book is well illustrated including reference to a female rider who emulates Beryl in a wind tunnel for an evaluation of Beryl’s ability, some of you may know her! The account does not pay much respect for the governing body of the time, ‘The BCF’, for its pettiness and occasional obstruction of Beryl’s efforts.

It’s one of the best books that I’ve read recently and that includes ‘God is Dead’ by Andy McGrath; in some ways a depressing but thoroughly interesting account of the life and death of a pro cyclist. ‘Jan Ullrich’ by Daniel Friebe, was another, a weighty tome but comprehensive, enjoyable and well researched and ‘In Search of Robert Miller’ by the late Richard Moore, also excellent.

I wholly recommend the book, if for nothing else to read about what a tough life Beryl lead, her determination and the rewards she gained in this tough sport of cycling. Incidentally, there are a couple of references to Beryl on the Beacon message board. It’s good to know the club had a connection with Britain’s best competitive female cyclist.

The hardback (Pub 2022) is now in print and I recently obtained one at half price, the paperback is out shortly.
Si Walker
Beacon Roads Cycling Club

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 20 Jan 2023 08:38

Thanks SImon. A great review. I shall procure a copy.

Helen

Post by Helen » 25 Feb 2023 18:26

Not cycling, but mountain running and a really good read regardless: Solo by Jenny Tough.

Jenny's account of running a mountain range on each continent solo and unsupported. It's not really about running, it's about all the highs and lows of the expeditions, the people she met along the way and the acts of kindness from strangers that made the trips. Feels just like reading about bike touring, except there's no bike involved!