Prescription Cycling Glasses

Chat about anything in here

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, Dave Cox

Cath_Faulkner

Prescription Cycling Glasses

Post by Cath_Faulkner » 02 Oct 2013 15:27

I need some new cycling glasses that are able to hold a prescription. Currently have a pair of SRX cycling glasses which work a treatwith the dark shade lenses in for summer however now that Ive had to change to clear lenses for the dull winter days you can see the insert and I now look like Gok Wan gone wrong!! :shock: Does anyone have any experience with other reasonably glasses (max £160)which will take a prescription and allow you to change from sunglasses to clear or yellow lenses without having the insert visible.

I know you can get direct glazed glasses from oakley etc but these cost £350 twice as much as my regular glasses do :(

Ive seen the Loubisol profive glasses and these may be an option. Has anyone tried these??

Contact lenses are not an option due to my prescription.

Any advice please?? Otherwise Gok Wan will be turning up on Sundays 8)

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 02 Oct 2013 20:17

I am actually struggling to think of anyone that wears prescription glasses in the club. Although they are available, I don't think they are commonly used. However, I can clearly see why you would require them bearing in mind the problem with contacts.

I did once convince somebody that I was a doctoral researcher developing prescription windscreens for cars, but that is another story.

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 02 Oct 2013 20:54

I've got a pair of prescription cycling sunglasses which I tend to wear on cycling holidays abroad. They are great on the bike, but I still carry a pair of 'normal' glasses for cafe stops etc.

Can't remember the make, they are the ones that advertise in the cycling mags. I think they do clear and/or photochromic lenses.

Mostly I just wear normal specs on the bike. For triathlon I use contacts with non-prescription swimming goggles and non-prescription cycling specs.

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 02 Oct 2013 22:30

I've been meaning to buy a pair for ages. I had my eyes on some by Rudy Project (I think the model was the Horus or Rydon), which seemed good and were around £150 including prescription lenses at SelectSpecs.com, but I've just checked and they seem to have stopped stocking the brand. Not sure how much they are elsewhere as I remember that website being the cheapest.
Last edited by laurence_cooley on 03 Oct 2013 11:11, edited 1 time in total.

Between Peaks

Post by Between Peaks » 02 Oct 2013 23:19

Possibly slightly over your budget but Optilabs are said to be very good http://www.optilabs.com/site/prods.php?pfid=0,8,11,17

David Farley

Post by David Farley » 03 Oct 2013 16:04

A friend of mine had a pair of Optilabs prescription glasses, she found them to be very good, also had good service from them..........a lot cheaper than Oakley too

paul.farrell

Post by paul.farrell » 03 Oct 2013 19:13

Philip Whiteman wrote:
I did once convince somebody that I was a doctoral researcher developing prescription windscreens for cars, but that is another story.
The trouble with prescription windscreens is that from the outside, everyone in the car has freakishly large heads :lol:

Cath_Faulkner

Post by Cath_Faulkner » 10 Oct 2013 16:43

Thanks for the replies guys. Guess I'm the only blind bat in Beacon now :D I'll keep looking for a solution!

Andy_Craddock

Post by Andy_Craddock » 10 Oct 2013 17:54

I use contact lenses but I know Phil Richards has a pair of prescription sunglasses and he says they are ok. Might be worth sending him a message, think his username is worcs_phil

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 10 Oct 2013 22:54

Hi, I do indeed have some cycling sunglasses, but they are not prescription, merely bifocal reading glasses. They are bifocal wrap around glasses at the (very) cheap end of the market, with a +2.0 reading bifocal which enables me to read my garmin...without them, the damn computer is a blurry set of blibs and blobs.

As I said, they're cheap, and I'm not joking, they're £25 for 3 pairs, and available here:

www.straightlines.com

As you can see, they're not Oakleys, nor fashionable in any way, but they do allow me to see my garmin details, so they do me fine.

Kermit

Post by Kermit » 11 Oct 2013 18:59

Phil I have been using the Loubsol 5 for a couple of years and they are excellent. Pm me if you want more info