A close shave

Chat about anything in here

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, Dave Cox

slogfester

A close shave

Post by slogfester » 24 Oct 2013 16:54

Today at lunchtime as I was riding SE along Edgbaston Rd past the cricket ground a car side-swipped me and hit my right elbow hard with their left wing mirror as they drove past. Myself and traffic had just pulled away from the Pershore Rd lights, but I was travelling almost as fast as the cars, and was clipped in and maintaining a straight line.
I was unhurt, but shaken. Another cm and it could have been messy. I screamed at the person but they appeared not to notice me in their mirror. The traffic got stopped at the pedestrian crossing lights and I chased to confront the driver, but alas he/she got away. Not before I confirmed their registration number though......

Is it possible/worth dobbing the driver in? To who and how?

In Australia you can and if the driver gets 2 complaints, the police will go knocking.

I was shocked at the sheer incompetance of the driver; there was plenty of room for bikes and cars. It worries me that such drivers will cause real harm if left unchecked.

Or should I just count myself lucky to be un-injured and for being out on a non-rainy day?
Belt up, we're going for a ride

Tim

Post by Tim » 24 Oct 2013 17:41

If you have their reg number ring the non emergency police number to report it. They've hit you and not stopped.

There may be cctv around Aldi/cricket ground etc.

Great u r ok though

Tim

Post by Tim » 24 Oct 2013 17:42

101 is the number to ring.

rdleaper

Post by rdleaper » 24 Oct 2013 19:25

My response to incidents like this is (was) to ride in the middle of that section of road and make them wait behind me. That tends to make it impossible for them not to see me, and causes necessary (and slightly vengeful) inconvenience to the drivers.

dweben

Post by dweben » 24 Oct 2013 20:27

Middle lane sometimes works! I was doing that today and the driver looked right at me, then simply pulled out! Made me bang the brakes on and swerve into the other lane. Suprise suprise... BMW.

Les Ladbury

Post by Les Ladbury » 25 Oct 2013 08:32

rdleaper wrote:My response to incidents like this is (was) to ride in the middle of that section of road and make them wait behind me. That tends to make it impossible for them not to see me, and causes necessary (and slightly vengeful) inconvenience to the drivers.
Richard, What do you hope to achieve by doing that?
Les

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 25 Oct 2013 08:38

rdleaper wrote:My response to incidents like this is (was) to ride in the middle of that section of road and make them wait behind me. That tends to make it impossible for them not to see me, and causes necessary (and slightly vengeful) inconvenience to the drivers.
Health & Safety in Cycling, a book published by the BMA a few years ago, advocated ownership of the carriageway in order that the cyclist be seen and to avoid overtaking where the width of the road is insufficient. If I recall, it advised a distance of 1.5-2m from the curb. This is a practice that I generally follow and it works on many but not all occasions. Unfortunately, I have since passed on that publication to the Belbroughton Telephone Box Library.

chalkie

Post by chalkie » 25 Oct 2013 08:54

i think i concur with philip - provocation isn't a good tactic, as the simple fact is metal v bone = broken bone. But its a difficult one and the judgement call on a road rage incident is tricky. A BMW driver got very annoyed with me riding 2 abreast on the last Intro ride and swerved in as he passed me. :cry:
and on the 7th day God created CLEATS..!

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 25 Oct 2013 08:58

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/cyclet ... itioning-0

Although a car I had a "discussion" with a few weeks ago didn't seem to agree...

Clive

Post by Clive » 25 Oct 2013 09:31

I tend to cycle just to the left of centre of the lane I am supposed to be in, as I find if too near the curb drivers will race past without pulling out and overtaking properly. It is much safer if they are forced to slow down, then have to signal and overtake as they should.

I've no wish to provoke motorists at all, but safety has to come first. I avoid busy main roads where I can, and if I see traffic queueing behind or an HGV that can't pass I will pull over, take another route, or go on to then pavement for a short while (Although was once told off by a policeman for cycling on the pavement)

David Cole

Post by David Cole » 25 Oct 2013 11:04

Barry
Glad to see you weren't hurt by this - but as you say it's unnerving when a passing motorist appears totally unaware of your presence on the road

Dave
David Cole

Beacon Roads Cycling Club