Greasy roads

Chat about anything in here

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, Dave Cox

slogfester

Greasy roads

Post by slogfester » 28 Nov 2013 16:52

Managed to get out this afternoon and very pleasant it was too. However, several times I managed to lock/lose my back wheel under very modest braking/acceleration. The roads are very greasy. I guess as a result of weeks of rain, followed by no rain for a whole 4 days, plus high humidy, plus the usual diesel/petrol from drivers who can't keep it in their tank.
Take care everyone.
Belt up, we're going for a ride

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 28 Nov 2013 18:54

Welcome back to the United Kingdom :)

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 02 Dec 2013 13:40

Yesterday, I received a call from Debbie Deane who found a cyclist lying at the side of the road. The victim had crashed at the bottom of 'Dead Man's Hill' between Drayton and Belbroughton. The surface was smeared with a thin layer of mud. There is a 90 degree bend located at the bottom of the hill. The victim slid on the bend but promptly crashed on the opposite side into a metal railing. His helmet saved him from serious injury as evidenced by the six fractures in the shell. He suffered a minor injury to his face and bruising but his injuries could have been far worse. This same location was the scene of a fatality when a cyclist lost control in a similar manner a few years ago.

David Cole

Post by David Cole » 02 Dec 2013 19:38

I hear you took him to A & E Phil?

Dave
David Cole

Beacon Roads Cycling Club

keith

Post by keith » 02 Dec 2013 20:31

Really glad I continue to wimp out on that hill and bend and break early ,it seems to have been muddy for ages

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 02 Dec 2013 20:45

David Cole wrote:I hear you took him to A & E Phil?

Dave
After dropping the bike off, we popped around to A&E for patching up. He was walking wounded, quite cognizant and not lacking colour. That would not have been the case without the helmet.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 02 Dec 2013 22:03

Good job for the victim that so many considerate Beacon members are patrolling the area.
Eat cake before you're hungry

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 04 Dec 2013 11:00

Press Release. Mon 2nd December.

Be Aware Of Mud On The Roads

Issued on Behalf of The Safer Roads Partnership

The Safer Roads Partnership with Warwickshire and West Mercia Police are again reminding motorists to drive carefully on rural roads across the region and take extra care where there is mud on the roads.

Agriculture is one of the areas’ key industries and the combination of harvesting a wide variety of crops at this time of year and the change in the weather can see areas of mud and debris on the road.

A particular hazard at this time of year is caused by mud and debris being brought onto the roads by tractors and other vehicles that have been working in the fields. Under the Highways Act (1980), farmers and contractors have a legal obligation to ensure their vehicles are cleared of any mud or debris before entering the public highway.

Anna Higgins, Communications Manager at the Safer Roads Partnership said “We’re advising all motorists to take extra care on rural roads during the late harvest season. Excess mud is a danger to cars, motorbikes and cyclists and can change the way a vehicle handles and can cause skidding, especially in wet conditions like we’ve had recently.

“If you see a ‘mud on the road’ sign please take this seriously, drive with caution and treat this the same way that you would with icy or slippery roads.”

Superintendent Lee Davenport, Policing Operations, Warwickshire and West Mercia Police said: “Every year we face problems with agricultural vehicles leaving large amounts of mud and debris on the roads during the harvest season. While the majority of farmers take steps to ensure they keep the roads clear and safe, not all are as diligent.

“We would like to remind farmers and contractors of their responsibilities under the Highways Act. We have already taken action against offenders who haven’t complied with this legislation and will continue to take a tough stance against anyone who we believe is being reckless and irresponsible.”

Sarah Faulkner, NFU regional environment and rural affairs adviser, said: “Farm operations at this time of the year could lead to mud being drawn out of fields. For this reason, it is important for farmers and contractors to have a plan to warn other road users of the hazard and clean the road as soon as possible, throughout the operation if required. Having working lights is also a legal requirement to travel on the roads and with the evenings drawing in, there is an even greater need for good lights to ensure you’re as visible to other drivers as possible.

“There is, however, a real need for other road users to continue to bear with the farming community and be aware of farm vehicles when out and about on the roads. The NFU is also working with the police and local authorities to raise awareness of the issue at key times of the year.”

Drivers of agricultural vehicles or anyone wishing to report issues regarding debris or mud on the road can contact the following agencies:

Worcestershire:

Worcestershire Hub – 01905 765765

Herefordshire:

‘Streetscene’ – 01432 261 800

Shropshire:

Shropshire Council – 0345 678 9006

Telford & Wrekin:

Telford & Wrekin Council – 01952 384000

Warwickshire:

Warwickshire County Council – 01926 412 515

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 04 Dec 2013 20:10

taking if mud on the road, I had a experience that I certainly wont forgot in a hurry a couple of days ago.

Dropping down the hill from Bidford to the island on the Evesham by-pass, as I approached the island there was an absolute colossal amount of mud on the road that the tractors had left after exiting the nearby field.

With a vehicle grossing at 44 tonnes, having the ABS light flashing and the brake pedal pulsing really is the last thing that you want to be experiencing. To make matters worse, I then tried to steer away from the main twin tracks of mud and on to clearer tarmac to try and gain more traction, but its not very good for your health to turn the steering wheel and nothing happens :shock:

In truth it was getting to the stage where going straight over the island looked like the only option available, as I was unable to scrub of enough speed and had little to no steering. Taking into consideration, we are not talking high speed, maybe 25/30 mph tops. But with a "live" load i.e. 28,000 litres of Biosolids sloshing about, when you start braking or even simply slowing down by lifting of the throttle, the whole lot surges forward and will push you.

But thankfully, I finally managed to get of the muddy tracks and regain some grip with both the traction and steering wheels. I could do without things like that...... :x
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 04 Dec 2013 22:28

Blimey Alan, your bike weighs 44 tonnes :shock:
No wonder you're fit :lol:
Belt up, we're going for a ride

dweben

Post by dweben » 04 Dec 2013 23:02

I filled the frame with lead when he was taking a leak...

I'll leave the location of the sloshy biosolids to your imagination !