Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 05 Feb 2014 22:58

Nice description on this one:

http://www.fillthathole.org.uk/hazard/19751

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 05 Feb 2014 23:08

dweben

Post by dweben » 05 Feb 2014 23:27

Worst surface out there is Scotland lane by Frankley reservoir. A few months ago I went out there, took photos and stopped counting at 200 potholes along a 0.7km stretch of road. In the last couple weeks one of the potholes, I say pothole -- it's several metres long, has disintegrated into a ditch about 10 inches deep, with all the underlying surface now sprayed across the road (both lanes!)

There's one section along the road, which is almost 3 lanes wide where both directions -have- to filter to the one side of the road because of the craters in the road.

Oh and currently it's half flooded, thus hiding the holes for people not in the know. :)

Wrote to the council, sent photos -- not a single reply. Awesome.

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 06 Feb 2014 07:55

Over the past couple of years I've reported Scotland Lane several times as well, they have been to repair an odd hole, but I think it's more to tick off another job rather than repair the road properly.

Last time I went along it (last week) the road was still dangerous along several sections.
Last edited by Ed Moss on 06 Feb 2014 12:19, edited 1 time in total.

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 06 Feb 2014 08:28

I think the way to get the council to take the reports seriously is to add a sense of jeopardy to them. They repaired this one that I reported within days: http://www.fillthathole.org.uk/hazard/94531. Maybe it was just because it's on a main road though. Scotland Lane needs a complete resurface (then we can have a crit around the reservoir :)).

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 06 Feb 2014 15:24

Laurence, well done. That hole was waiting to take a life.

I don't think car drivers see the holes along Scotland Lane because their windscreens are all misted up :lol:
Belt up, we're going for a ride

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 06 Feb 2014 15:29

I am not convinced by Fillthathole. I am not sure how it works, whether it relies upon the local authority accessing the website or whether it operates as a macro directly into the local authorities' own reporting system.

In the past I have reported holes via Fillthathole, never seeing any remedy afterwards. That is counter to my experience of reporting holes directly via the local authority portal.

Try this instead:

http://www.worcestershire.gov.uk/cms/re ... oblem.aspx

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 06 Feb 2014 16:17

It appears (based on e-mails that are generated by FillThatHole) that all reports are reported to the local authority. The problem is there is no acknowledgment with an incident reference which would enable you chase the authority directly.

It does seem, for obvious reasons, that hazards that might cause injury (or are described as such) get fixed first.

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 06 Feb 2014 17:32

Fill that hole works well I've seen holes filled. If you know the local authority then they do indeed have their own systems. I thought that when I retired reporting holes would become a full time job but other things are more interesting. CTC are upgrading the App and getting an Android one but although I have downloaded it i've not used it yet.

Glad that Paul and Andy are using it.

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 06 Feb 2014 17:38

I've had a good success rate with FTH, but some just seem to get ignored.
I reported the A38 crossroads at Selly Oak several times and it never got sorted...Scotland Lane needs closing and a proper job doing..

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 06 Feb 2014 19:00

I've used it a few times to report really bad examples and have added a note about the danger to cyclists / motorcyclists. All were fixed quite quickly after my report which sometimes wasn't made until the hazard had existed for quite some time.
Eat cake before you're hungry

John & Hilary

fill a pot hole

Post by John & Hilary » 07 Feb 2014 16:58

:D I reported one last week in Bournville and surprisingly it was filled in within 2 days allbeit not very well

dweben

Post by dweben » 12 Feb 2014 22:30

Clearly the council read our msg boards. Scotland Lane was closed today for resurfacing!

(or my repeated constant moaning, whinging, whining with predictions of the apocalypse and rivers of blood littered with car wrecks, through their website worked)

I was down there last night and the flooded section had piles of crumbled road debris all over the place.

keith

Post by keith » 15 Feb 2014 22:21

dweben wrote:Worst surface out there is Scotland lane by Frankley reservoir. A few months ago I went out there, took photos and stopped counting at 200 potholes along a 0.7km stretch of road. In the last couple weeks one of the potholes, I say pothole -- it's several metres long, has disintegrated into a ditch about 10 inches deep, with all the underlying surface now sprayed across the road (both lanes!)

There's one section along the road, which is almost 3 lanes wide where both directions -have- to filter to the one side of the road because of the craters in the road.

Oh and currently it's half flooded, thus hiding the holes for people not in the know. :)

Wrote to the council, sent photos -- not a single reply. Awesome.
Thing is though Scotland lane only used for two things Practicing 3 point turns by day and by night, we'll lets just say the road surface is of very little interest!

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 16 Feb 2014 09:35

dweben wrote:Clearly the council read our msg boards. Scotland Lane was closed today for resurfacing!

(or my repeated constant moaning, whinging, whining with predictions of the apocalypse and rivers of blood littered with car wrecks, through their website worked)

I was down there last night and the flooded section had piles of crumbled road debris all over the place.
:shock:

Oscar

Post by Oscar » 16 Feb 2014 17:06

I cycled around the Bartley Green area this morning and there hundreds of potholes in the roads. So I think Scotland Lane could be closed for some considerable time.

dweben

Post by dweben » 16 Feb 2014 17:58

Huh, I did wonder if I saw you today on my way back in!

Some roads in the area have been done recently, including a roundabout which didn't need doing. I had my car MOT done last week and the mechanic there said an Audi TT drove in with a snapped bit of suspension having just fallen into a flooded pothole.

Place is just dotted with them now, but Scotland lane was amazing. When it dries out I'll walk down there and take a bit of the big hole... been closed for 4 days now but no work started 'cos it's still flooded. Could be a while!

dweben

Post by dweben » 23 Feb 2014 16:46

Went for a wander today down Scotland Lane... looking awesome! :)

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 26 Feb 2014 18:54

Went along it today, road is open but it's still as bad a before except they have filled in the 1 big hole.

Birmingham City Council, complete waste of time....

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 26 Feb 2014 20:05

I don't wish to depress anyone about Birmingham's roads but the City Corporation is virtually bankrupt. Investment into road resurfacing is significantly impacted. So, Scotland Road and others like it are bound to become significantly worse.

On the other hand, Worcestershire's budget is in a healthier condition and County are continuing to invest in highways maintenance with £700k extra allocated to repairing flood damaged carriageways alone.

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 27 Feb 2014 08:34

Suppose £1.2M spent on a website doesn't help.

dweben

Post by dweben » 27 Feb 2014 19:34

You say that, but they're resurfacing quite a lot of roads around here... basically ones that didn't need it really while that mess of a road is left as is.