Compact for Touring?

Chat about anything in here

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, Dave Cox

AlanW

Compact for Touring?

Post by AlanW » 03 Apr 2014 16:33

Let me start by saying that I love my triple chain set, but by the same token I also love my bikes that are fitted with compact chain sets as well.

Not that I intend to do any light touring in the near future, it is still on my bucket list of things to do.

Now of course there are various arguments for and against for both, but this post is more about discussing the newer compact options. Now as I see it the biggest advantage with a triple is the ability to get much lower gearing whilst still maintaining a relatively close ratio cassette. Have I answered my own question I wonder??

Now here is the but, with 11sp group sets now a common fitment and the ability to run a 30T sprocket on a cassette with a std rear mech, surely a compact chainset is now a possible option, so a 26.3" gear, is that low enough loaded (and yes define loaded I guess?)
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 03 Apr 2014 17:44

Ooo I love a triple/compact thread - but I am not going to argue for one or the other.

I'd be interested to see what the 11 sprocket and 2 chainrings sizes would be on the proposed setup.

Just this week I came across a Stronglight 48/36 chainset in a box in the garage. I bought this in 1993 when I took the Holdsworth* to the Pyrenees. Nobody called it a 'compact' chainset in those days.

*as seen on Sunday's club run

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 03 Apr 2014 18:04

Incidentally, I saw that the new Shimano chainsets have a single BCD for all chainrings, which is handy if you want to switch between different chainring sizes.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 03 Apr 2014 19:38

laurence_cooley wrote:Incidentally, I saw that the new Shimano chainsets have a single BCD for all chainrings, which is handy if you want to switch between different chainring sizes.
Yes, thats another point that I meant to add and didnt! But I dont think that you can get lower than a 30T chain ring can you?
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 03 Apr 2014 19:48

I've never tried a double, compact or otherwise, never really seen the point, should I get another bike to see what one's like?
Eat cake before you're hungry

dweben

Post by dweben » 03 Apr 2014 22:37

Make like modern MTBers... lose the front mech altogether!