Geeky Q- monitors for Apple mini mac

Chat about anything in here

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, Dave Cox

slogfester

Geeky Q- monitors for Apple mini mac

Post by slogfester » 27 May 2014 18:36

I'm a bit of a green Apple these days, not having used them since a macintosh in 1985!
What sort of monitor should I buy to go with a mac mini? Need it for general PC use (including a lot of scanning and some editing of photos/videos) and perhaps to double as a TV monitor.
Any old monitor with a HDMI input, or do I have to buy a Apple? If the latter, why? Is the thunderbolt port on the mac mini used to drive superior picture quality monitors? If so, is it worth it?

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced suitable monitor?

Thanks
Belt up, we're going for a ride

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 27 May 2014 19:07

Apple displays aren't all they are cracked up to be, there is better value found elsewhere, although the retina screens on the laptops are very good.

The Dell ultrasharp monitors are excellent, I use one for my 2nd display, 7 years service and still going strong.

Any monitor with a display port or HDMI will do.

I can't tell the difference on my main editing screen (NEC PA241w) between HDMI and thunderbolt output on my 2013 Mac Pro to be honest.

If you are doing serious photo editing, just make sure you budget for a screen calibrator, if you don't then proper colour analysis is just guess work.

This is the best site to look at, loads of complicated graphs....http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 28 May 2014 22:43

Thx Ed for v useful comments. I'll go shop for a Dell monitor.
Belt up, we're going for a ride