Flying Horse Lane, Bradley Green - UPDATE 04/11/15.

Chat about anything in here

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, Dave Cox

AlanW

Flying Horse Lane, Bradley Green - UPDATE 04/11/15.

Post by AlanW » 26 Apr 2015 15:46

Unbelievably but they are "repairing" small sections of what is already probably the worst maintained road in the county. When I say repairing, of course I mean hot tar spray and chipping! Needless to say the road is now in a hell of a worse state (if that's possible?) with copious amount of chipping still remaining. Whoever at the Highways Department has passed that work as being even remotely acceptable should be sacked with immediate effect!!

So not only do you have to dodge the numerous potholes, you now have all the excess chippings to contend with. Needless to say I shall be writing and complaining to the Highways Department, and would suggest that as many people as possible do the same on the link provided. Workmanship like this should NOT be tolerated, its our dam money being wasted for goodness sake

HERE
Last edited by AlanW on 04 Nov 2015 18:44, edited 5 times in total.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 27 Apr 2015 09:20

Thanks for the warning, Alan. I will divert the club run on Sunday.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 27 Apr 2015 11:30

Thanks from me too, riding down to Pershore on Sunday and probably would have come back that way (although perhaps it won't be as bad by then).
Eat cake before you're hungry

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 27 Apr 2015 21:29

By means of an update and following my letter of complaint I would like to share with you all the comprehensive response from Worcestershire County Council and I quote :-

"this is jet patching process"

And that's it in all its entirety, including the lack of a capital letter at the beginning? Needless to say I have since responded and thanked them for taking the time to provide such an in-depth overview.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

John

Post by John » 28 Apr 2015 13:25

AlanW wrote:By means of an update and following my letter of complaint I would like to share with you all the comprehensive response from Worcestershire County Council and I quote :-

"this is jet patching process"

And that's it in all its entirety, including the lack of a capital letter at the beginning? Needless to say I have since responded and thanked them for taking the time to provide such an in-depth overview.
You should also thank them for their wonderful grasp of the English language.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 28 Apr 2015 18:35

A couple of e-mail address that some may care to send a mail to:-

jhobbs@worcestershire.gov.uk = director of environment

cmarchant@worcestershire.gov.uk = chief exec

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 28 Apr 2015 20:07

or Head of Highways and Transportation, Jon Fraser

jfraser@worcestershire.gov.uk

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 28 Apr 2015 20:27

Philip Whiteman wrote:or Head of Highways and Transportation, Jon Fraser

jfraser@worcestershire.gov.uk
Needless to say I have just mailed all three with my thoughts on the situation, plus a request to a site visit so that they can show me how proud they must be of the workmanship!!!

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 28 Apr 2015 20:51

......and also Cllr John Smith, the Cabinet Lead for Highways. http://worcestershire.moderngov.co.uk/m ... spx?UID=28

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 28 Apr 2015 21:53

Dear sir,

As Cabinet Member with responsibility for Highways I was hopeful that you would care to investigate amongst other issues regarding the lane in question, the workmanship recently carried out on Flying Horse Lane, Bradley Green, Worcestershire?

Despite numerous attempts at getting any sort of response from the Highways Department, I am now looking at other ways in which to generate a response, including letters to be published in the local paper.

Below is the last mail that I have sent to various high ranking officials at Worcestershire County Council:-

I feel compelled to write to you for a couple of reasons.

Firstly and with regards to the recent "repair" work that has been conducted on Flying Horse Lane, Bradley Green. The work that has been carried out is nothing more than a disgrace and a complete and utter waste of tax payers money. Furthermore, whoever has passed this work of as being to any sort of standard should be dismissed, it is an utter appalling show of workmanship.

A couple of years ago the lane in question was widened due to the increase of large agricultural traffic breaking the edges of the road and consequently creating large furrows on the grass verge. As per the recent "repair" work, this was also a truly awful job that lasted just a few months before the sprayed on hot tar and chippings had lifted and had subsequently caused serious ribbing in the surface of the road and major potholes in countless places.

Without question, this particular section of road must be the worst maintained road in the county. It is at the point now where the only remaining usable section of road is in the centre of the road.

Secondly and just to add salt into an already inflamed wound, I followed the link on the Worcestershire CC website about reporting potholes and also reported my concerns. Yesterday I received an in depth reply to my complaint and I quote "this is jet patching process".

That was it, as short and as blunt as that, a truly wonderful example of English grammar don't you think?

So I would welcome a site visit with either you or even a representative of the Highways Team so that you can demonstrate to me exactly how well spent tax payers money has been and how proud you are of the workmanship.

To this end, I therefore very much look forward to hearing your response?

So with all the above in mind, I certainly suggest and whole heartedly recommend that either you or at least a representative of your department pays the lane in question a site visit and then I would be extremely interested to your honest and open views on this subject and if you deem the recent work to be an acceptable standard?

With regards

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 06 May 2015 17:45

Dear Mr Weaver,

I refer to your email to Jon Fraser dated 28th April 2015 which has been forwarded to me for a response.

As you're aware, we have recently carried out some 'jet patching' work in Flying Horse Lane and whilst I understand that you may have concerns about the aesthetic nature of this treatment, its purpose is to deal with any immediate safety repairs and also to extend the life of the road. The treatment makes good both the pothole damage and edge of carriageway failure along the route, whilst also sealing the surface against water ingress.

In light of your comments, our Highways Maintenance Operations Manager visited the site to inspect the standard of workmanship. He reported that the work was carried out satisfactorily . We will, of course, continue to monitor the road condition during our routine inspections and any remedial repairs will be addressed.

Turning to your comments regarding our website, I must apologise for the comments you received. This is certainly not our usual standard of response and I will ensure that officers are reminded of the need to provide an appropriate, useful response.

Yours sincerely,

Rachael Benson

Member Support and Customer Relationship Officer
Customer & Community Unit
County Hall
Spetchley Road
Worcester
WR5 2NP

Tel: 0845 607 2005 (Worcestershire Hub)

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 18 May 2015 18:24

Alan,

Your email regarding Flying Horse Lane has been passed to me to respond to. My apologies for not coming back to you sooner on this matter. I have also left a message on your mobile phone and have asked you to give me a ring on my mobile (07792 624 227), so we can discuss the issue further.

I visited the lane myself last week. We have as you state in your email, done a number of short and medium term repairs on the lane over the last four years or so, some of which have been completed by our velocity patching machine. Whilst these have significantly reduced any potholes, it has left the road looking in a poor state. One of our Senior Highways Engineers has also visited the site and we intend to complete permanent repairs during the current financial year. We will update you shortly ref whether this is structural patching, followed by surface dressing (as completed on a number of roads nearby), or more significant works.

Happy to discuss, give me a ring.

Thanks

Ian

Ian Bamforth
Highways & PROW Manager
Worcestershire County Council
County Hall
Spetchley Road
Worcester
WR5 2NP
Tel: 01905 766701

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 18 May 2015 18:38

That's more like it.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 18 May 2015 19:04

Andy Terry wrote:That's more like it.
I have also had a very long telephone conversation with Mr Bamforth and expressed my concerns regards two wheeled users of the lane. Needless to say he said that he will arrange for a safety audit to be done on the lane ASAP. He also said that he would keep me posted as to its findings.

GaryK

Post by GaryK » 20 May 2015 22:05

Well done Mr Weaver, I admire your tenacity !
Nothing compares with the simple pleasure of a bike ride!

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 11 Jul 2015 11:58

Just completed Worcestershire County Council / National Highways and Transport Survey.

30+ questions to plough through, nevertheless an opportunity to let WCC know your opinions.

dweben

Post by dweben » 12 Jul 2015 11:36

Was down Purshall Green ln last week and in the heat the tarmac had melted with fresh chippings and I had to stop twice to brush a layer of stones off my tyres :P

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 26 Jul 2015 06:58

I "think" that we might see some action at last, based on the recent painted markings, most of it will be scraped of and new tarmac laid.. According to the Worcester Roadworks site it will be done over/during the period 28th August to 23rd Oct.

http://worcestershire.roadworks.org/

Navigate for road closures and diversions, zoom up the map, and you will find it under the Next 3 Month tag.

Oscar

Post by Oscar » 23 Oct 2015 15:40

I cycled down Flying Horse lane this morning and noticed that nothing had changed. But on the way back I came across a surveyor with his can of spray paint. I stopped and asked him when was something going to be done to the lane, and he told me that they are starting on November 2nd.Not only Flying Horse lane but also Ditchford Bank lane. After chatting to him for some time I again asked him if this date was definite and again he said yes. So watch this space.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 23 Oct 2015 18:29

Oscar wrote:I cycled down Flying Horse lane this morning and noticed that nothing had changed. But on the way back I came across a surveyor with his can of spray paint. I stopped and asked him when was something going to be done to the lane, and he told me that they are starting on November 2nd.Not only Flying Horse lane but also Ditchford Bank lane. After chatting to him for some time I again asked him if this date was definite and again he said yes. So watch this space.
Thanks for the update Oscar, lets wait and see....

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 26 Oct 2015 17:57

The advance warning signs are now up on Flying Horse Lane and Ditchford Bank Lane, the road will be closed for six days from Monday 2nd November <@>

Please lets hope that its a decent job?

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 01 Nov 2015 19:55

Looks like we are good to go for tomorrow as a number of road laying type equipment has appeared over the weekend parked up and ready for action. :D

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 04 Nov 2015 18:44

I rode across here this evening and I am pleased to report that work has indeed started and so far so good. They have completed the section at the mid point with the two 90 degree corners. Looking good........

Oscar

Post by Oscar » 08 Nov 2015 15:15

Well over a mile of new tarmac. Brilliant.

GaryK

Post by GaryK » 08 Nov 2015 19:00

Went down it this afternoon, it is now a thing of beauty.
Bring on the better weather for PB's on Strava :D
Nothing compares with the simple pleasure of a bike ride!